Do you guys agree that some Doctors lie?

Do you guys agree that some Doctors lie?

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 9th, 2011, 11:26 pm #1

I have posted anonymously about this topic before. I've long known that doctors can be wrong, but I had no idea that they would outright lie in order to manipulate people into following their agendas. My dad knows nothing about this struggle that I've had but the topic has come up recently about doctors, and he told me he has no idea where I get my information about doctors lying.

He said that doctors make mistakes but they are basically trying to get things right. That's what I used to think as well. However now I believe based on personal experience that in the fertility industry at least, some doctors are actually LYING because they want to get you to either do a treatment or not do a treatment with them based on their personal ambitions or agenda.

Once I thought that most serious professionals were very honest. I have slowly started to realize this isn't true. My dad looks at me like I'm a conspiracy theorist or something, which I'm definitely not. (As I said I have not told him anything about this.

Just wondering if anybody else out there has had any evolving opinions about this matter.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 10th, 2011, 12:42 am #2

Most serious professionals ARE honest, but a surprising number of them are not. Anyhow this will only be meaningful to anybody out there who was similarly misled, it is not really productive to dwell on but it is has been hitting me harder and harder. That's all. Good luck everyone.

Been there
Been there

November 10th, 2011, 12:57 am #3

I have posted anonymously about this topic before. I've long known that doctors can be wrong, but I had no idea that they would outright lie in order to manipulate people into following their agendas. My dad knows nothing about this struggle that I've had but the topic has come up recently about doctors, and he told me he has no idea where I get my information about doctors lying.

He said that doctors make mistakes but they are basically trying to get things right. That's what I used to think as well. However now I believe based on personal experience that in the fertility industry at least, some doctors are actually LYING because they want to get you to either do a treatment or not do a treatment with them based on their personal ambitions or agenda.

Once I thought that most serious professionals were very honest. I have slowly started to realize this isn't true. My dad looks at me like I'm a conspiracy theorist or something, which I'm definitely not. (As I said I have not told him anything about this.

Just wondering if anybody else out there has had any evolving opinions about this matter.
It's a business. They tell us what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear. I feel beyond misled. And upset.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 10th, 2011, 2:11 am #4

Thanks for responding and so sorry you've gone through this too.

There is one RE who I think deserves to have his license revoked for his reckless dishonesty and the nightmare this brought to my life. Actually I think he should go to prison. There are a couple others whose bullets I dodged but other people were not as fortunate. They should have their licenses revoked as well.

I hope things start going well for you and everybody else on this board!

Sara H
Sara H

November 10th, 2011, 6:49 am #5

Knowing what I know now they NEVER should have had me do an IVF cycle... at least without fully telling me the odds. They kept saying "there is a chance"... but it was really like 2%. GRRR!
Yeah, I probably had a better chance of getting hit with a falling satellite from space!

So yes, I felt lied to... but not outright, but by omission.

bigboy
bigboy

November 10th, 2011, 2:17 pm #6

not so much lying...but omission. i just dont know how two different REs could have such vast difference in opinion about my case. my first one gave me less than 1% chance conceiving naturally, less than 5% with clomid, and 25-50% with IVF..."maybe". but to not be surprised if the first IVF doesnt work. my second RE had a completely different viewpoint, took a much more academic approach, and he turned out to be the one that was right. and, my new RE mentored my old RE at one point...so that confused me even more.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

November 10th, 2011, 4:39 pm #7

I think that people need to remember that this is first and foremost a business. A business that is driven by stats. To that end..yes..I believe that acts of ommissions and outright lies do happen.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 10th, 2011, 7:58 pm #8

Well, it's a very bizarre intersection when a matter of health is primarily a business. In plastic surgery this is understood, it's clearly voluntary. Nobody would say that cancer treatments are primarily a business (even though it might be a huge industry anyhow). I think this whole situation is partly because fertility treatment is regarded as voluntary so there is more chance for exploitation.

Also, what do you mean, All people are capable of lying? Maybe, in a Stanely Milgrim experiment kind of a way, any human being can do bad things under certain kinds of pressure... But that's not what is going on here.

These are doctors and they are supposed to be ethical. They are not in a war trying to save their families or being controlled by an evil empire.
I was lied to in numerous ways. Definitely by omission but also much worse. This is an individual choice on the part of doctors who are unethical and in a position of authority and do what they want because they don't expect anybody to ever call them on it. Unfortunately I can't be specific about how I was lied to because it would give away too much information but I mean real lying.

I also saw very conscientious and caring doctors. Not everybody is doing these things but some of them are. It's good to be aware of the possibility, because I wasn't.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

November 10th, 2011, 8:36 pm #9

All people lie and Dr.'s are no exception. I believe you when you say that you were lied to in numerous ways. I think liek any profession..you have your good and your bad.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 10th, 2011, 9:25 pm #10

Thanks for responding & believing me.

Yeah, everybody lies a little bit when it's appropriate. But real dishonesty? Doctor to patient?

No. I don't think everybody lies in a way that really matters. Some people are honest and conscientious, and would never lie to a patient intentionally. That should be the norm, not the other way around. Also there are people who risk their lives to tell the truth.

p.s. To people who were lied to be omission, didn't mean to make it sound like this isn't bad too. It is, and can cause as much damage!