DHEA (x/post)

DHEA (x/post)

January 3rd, 2012, 9:24 pm #1

I have been thinking that I would start up on DHEA and had some questions. I noticed that both CCRM and RMA now prescribe it for their DOR patients. Is there a difference between the micro-ionized version and the compounded version?

Also, for those of you that took it, did you notice that you ovulated earlier or that your estrogen was much higher for a mature follicle? I had taken it a couple of years ago, but stopped after 2 months. I had noticed back then, that my estrogen seemed much higher for a mature follicle and that I would ovulate much sooner (ovulated around day 12 vs. day 14, and E2 was about 330 per mature follicle. Prior to taking it, I would ovulate around day 14 and my E2 per mature follicle was around 200).

Wren
Wren

January 4th, 2012, 12:00 am #2

I took compounded. My RE in Denver would only use compounded. I dont think my estrogen changed. They monitored the testosterone levels though. And I didn't ovulate any earlier or later.

Nadia8080
Nadia8080

January 4th, 2012, 4:12 pm #3

I have been thinking that I would start up on DHEA and had some questions. I noticed that both CCRM and RMA now prescribe it for their DOR patients. Is there a difference between the micro-ionized version and the compounded version?

Also, for those of you that took it, did you notice that you ovulated earlier or that your estrogen was much higher for a mature follicle? I had taken it a couple of years ago, but stopped after 2 months. I had noticed back then, that my estrogen seemed much higher for a mature follicle and that I would ovulate much sooner (ovulated around day 12 vs. day 14, and E2 was about 330 per mature follicle. Prior to taking it, I would ovulate around day 14 and my E2 per mature follicle was around 200).
Have u had your dheaS levels tested? It's better if u get tested. Also be sure to keep checking ur dhea levels while on dhea. I ordered the micronized dhea I have unbelievable low dhea.

Xoxo
Nad

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 4th, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

I took compounded. My RE in Denver would only use compounded. I dont think my estrogen changed. They monitored the testosterone levels though. And I didn't ovulate any earlier or later.
Just got back from OB appt. to review some b/w results one of which was my high DHEA-S result. The nurse practitioner mentioned that DHEA can convert to either estrogen or testosterone. If it converts to testosterone and the testosterone levels are high then that will impact ovulation (meaning no ovulation). So it makes sense that they would be testing your testosterone level in this situation. You want to make sure you ovulate!

minka
minka

January 5th, 2012, 4:09 am #5

I tried taking 50-75 mg DHEA last cycle but I only lasted 15 days (I started getting chest pains... one possible side effect is heart palpitations). I did ovulate a few days earlier than normal, day 16 instead of day 18 or 19. I am wondering if for me, the DHEA converted into estrogen which then maybe even increased my LH and caused me to ovulate sooner than normal. I just got my DHEA-s tested today and based on the results, I may try a much lower dose (like half of a 25mg pill) and work my way up. I don't want to get chest pains again, they were scary.

Nadia80
Nadia80

January 7th, 2012, 6:55 am #6