Davinci for endometrosis surgery

Davinci for endometrosis surgery

January 23rd, 2012, 5:05 pm #1

Have any of you had endo removed using Davinci robotic surgery? My Dr. would like to use this method with my next lap. I've had two previous laps done by a differnt RE without the Davinci.

I am currently checking to see if my insurance will cover the technology. If it's worth it, I'll switch insurances, but maybe a good surgeon is just as good without it.

You may see this question on other boards, apologizes for the repeat post. So far I haven't found anyone who has any experience with this and yet every hospital around me has this technology. I'm just wondering why more RE's don't use it.

January 23rd, 2012, 5:20 pm #2

I did lap, but not davinci. Becarefull with the lap. Lots of res don't do it if u have DOR, because u will loose more eggs during surgery, also Dr check is against lap as it could effect ovetian blood supply. If I knew what I know now, I would have never dine the lap, as many res told me it contributed to my high fsh. I have stage 4 endo, but not much pain. And I did excison

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 23rd, 2012, 5:21 pm #3

Have any of you had endo removed using Davinci robotic surgery? My Dr. would like to use this method with my next lap. I've had two previous laps done by a differnt RE without the Davinci.

I am currently checking to see if my insurance will cover the technology. If it's worth it, I'll switch insurances, but maybe a good surgeon is just as good without it.

You may see this question on other boards, apologizes for the repeat post. So far I haven't found anyone who has any experience with this and yet every hospital around me has this technology. I'm just wondering why more RE's don't use it.

My husband is a minimally invasive surgeon who has been trained to use the da vinci. From the few conversations we've had about the Da vinci I know he thinks it's cool but unnecessary. If I were to have a procedure done, he wouldn't have a robot performing the surgery.

January 23rd, 2012, 10:53 pm #4

I did lap, but not davinci. Becarefull with the lap. Lots of res don't do it if u have DOR, because u will loose more eggs during surgery, also Dr check is against lap as it could effect ovetian blood supply. If I knew what I know now, I would have never dine the lap, as many res told me it contributed to my high fsh. I have stage 4 endo, but not much pain. And I did excison
I've been wrestling with the idea of having another lap for the very reasons you listed. My first RE rushed me into a Lap without trying anything to help us conceive. I was hosting an endometromia, which helped sway us to go through with the lap. My numbers actually improved after the lap and my response improved, not significantly, but a little. Like you, after I left that RE, other RE's have said that if I was going to do IVF, I shouldn't have been advised to have a lap.

That was two years ago. This fall we discovered I have another endometromia. My ovary doesn't produce any follicles on the side with the endo. We've done four IVF in the mean time, but I am really tired of that course of treament and even though we are probably wasting our time, I'd like to try an optimize TTC naturally.

My thoughts were to remove the endo again, try a couple medicated natural cycles and then give a low stim ivf cycle one more chance. I am through with high stim and feeding the endo.

Do you get endometromias? I'm wondering if that makes a difference on what an RE might advise.

January 23rd, 2012, 10:57 pm #5

My husband is a minimally invasive surgeon who has been trained to use the da vinci. From the few conversations we've had about the Da vinci I know he thinks it's cool but unnecessary. If I were to have a procedure done, he wouldn't have a robot performing the surgery.
and that is in line with some of the things I have been reading on the internet.

There was one internet site for a Dr. office that listed various reasons why they don't use it, but I had to wonder if that isn't just an excuse for not buying the expensive equipment.

Helps to know that someone who has access to it, would still opt not to use it on their loved one.

Alli
Alli

January 24th, 2012, 2:52 am #6

I've been wrestling with the idea of having another lap for the very reasons you listed. My first RE rushed me into a Lap without trying anything to help us conceive. I was hosting an endometromia, which helped sway us to go through with the lap. My numbers actually improved after the lap and my response improved, not significantly, but a little. Like you, after I left that RE, other RE's have said that if I was going to do IVF, I shouldn't have been advised to have a lap.

That was two years ago. This fall we discovered I have another endometromia. My ovary doesn't produce any follicles on the side with the endo. We've done four IVF in the mean time, but I am really tired of that course of treament and even though we are probably wasting our time, I'd like to try an optimize TTC naturally.

My thoughts were to remove the endo again, try a couple medicated natural cycles and then give a low stim ivf cycle one more chance. I am through with high stim and feeding the endo.

Do you get endometromias? I'm wondering if that makes a difference on what an RE might advise.
I can show you tons of studies that show it really can damage your remaining eggs. I was told to get a lap for an endometrioma from a non high fsh friendly dr. Did my own research and saw it was bad. If you are doing IVF, no need for a lap.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 24th, 2012, 3:21 am #7

and that is in line with some of the things I have been reading on the internet.

There was one internet site for a Dr. office that listed various reasons why they don't use it, but I had to wonder if that isn't just an excuse for not buying the expensive equipment.

Helps to know that someone who has access to it, would still opt not to use it on their loved one.
I mentioned your post to my husband and he was very surprised your doctor would want to use the da vinci for this procedure.

I was also told to have my endo removed. We decided against it because it could do more harm than good. If you are doing IVF, it will bypass the endo. You can absolutely get pregnant without the surgery.

teresa
teresa

January 24th, 2012, 3:27 pm #8

UGHHH I also had a lap (regular) in 2009 for endo. I didnt know it can cause more issues...I had it done by a regular GYN, no RE

I have heard that after a lap you have a better window of getting PG within the 2 years of having it done. I dont know if this is true, but, I myself had a lap in 2/09, got PG 6/09 but miscarried...then pregnant again 7/11 but miscarried 8/11.

I actually have more painful periods since having the darn thing. Sometimes I think it made things worse for me, but thats just my two cents...

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 24th, 2012, 7:30 pm #9

I had a 3 cm chocolate cyst/endometrioma on my right ovary. Unbeknownst to me, it had been noted in my original RE work-up. In that same cycle of that original RE work-up I did the CCCT and an HSG and I ended up BFP (early m/c).

When I eventually moved on to another RE he recommended removal of the endometrioma. I consulted with my OB/GYN and he concurred so I had it removed.

Fast forward to when I was consulting with Dr. C.heck and he disagreed with having removed it. But he also said not to dwell on it. I didn't.

Fast forward some more...I got my sticky BFP on a cycle where that right "compromised" ovary sprouted a 20MM follicle.

After learning more about laps and its effects I wouldn't say it's an absolute to get it done and wouldn't necessarily do dow that route. But in my personal experience, in the end, thankfully it didn't harm anything at all.

January 25th, 2012, 3:40 pm #10

I had a 4cm choclate cyst removed. 2 month after the endo came back. I know have a 15mm Endometrioma on the same side and its growing 1 or 2 mm per couple if month. Don't do the lap.

Please excuse any typos, typed from my cell phone!!!

IVF #1...no fertilization
IVF #2...E2 drop, canceled
IVF #3...E2 drop, canceled
Gearing up for IVF #4