Could Someone Help me Translate my Ultrasound?

Could Someone Help me Translate my Ultrasound?

Holly
Holly

January 20th, 2012, 9:51 pm #1

Hi Guys:

I had an ultrasound done on Day 16 of my cycle (ovulated on Day 14/15). The doc did it when I went in for my initial RE visit. We're in the process of changing RE's (didn't care for the first one) and I'm looking over my paperwork from the 1st visit. On Day 16 I have 5 follicles that measure less the 11 mm on my right and 4 follicles that measure less then 11 mm on my left. The endometrial lining is at a 7. He did mention that my ovaries are "small." Can I conclude anything from this report? We're starting our first IVF cycle in March. Day 4 FSH 7.6, E2 78, LH 9; Day 10 FSH after clomid challenge 13.7. Age: 39. TTC = 3 years!

Thanks Ladies!

Holly

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 20th, 2012, 11:26 pm #2

And did he see a CL cyst on the order of 18-20mm? Because if he couldn't see a CL cyst on CD16 and you supposedly ovulated on CD14 or 15, you might not have actually ovulated. A p4 test would confirm O or not. Don't know if you mentioned earlier, but were you stimming this month?

Holly
Holly

January 20th, 2012, 11:51 pm #3

No, I wasn't stimming and no he didn't order a P4. He never said anything about a cyst that measured larger then 11mm. What do you make of it?

Sara H
Sara H

January 21st, 2012, 12:59 am #4

Hi Guys:

I had an ultrasound done on Day 16 of my cycle (ovulated on Day 14/15). The doc did it when I went in for my initial RE visit. We're in the process of changing RE's (didn't care for the first one) and I'm looking over my paperwork from the 1st visit. On Day 16 I have 5 follicles that measure less the 11 mm on my right and 4 follicles that measure less then 11 mm on my left. The endometrial lining is at a 7. He did mention that my ovaries are "small." Can I conclude anything from this report? We're starting our first IVF cycle in March. Day 4 FSH 7.6, E2 78, LH 9; Day 10 FSH after clomid challenge 13.7. Age: 39. TTC = 3 years!

Thanks Ladies!

Holly
What were your other levels? IT seems like you did not, but that is a lot of follicles coming along for no stims... I am guessing your FSH might be high, since something has to be stimulating that growth. Also, that is a lot coming along but they are really not in play until they are over 11.

I'd be tempted to see what your blood work numbers are and then consider doing some lite stims this cycle and doing IUI. Could also tell you how you respond. And, try "Red Raspberry Leaf Tea" to up your lining a bit.

From just your scan, honestly, with no other info it seems like you did not ovulate. What did your Dr. say?

Good luck!
Aara H

Holly
Holly

January 21st, 2012, 1:40 am #5

Thanks Sarah for repsonding. I hoped you'd chime in. I really don't know if I ovulated or not. I did have a + OPK and a dip and rise in my BBT but that may not mean anything. The RE told me he thought based on the condition of my endometrium that I had ovulated 1-2 days prior to the ultrasound which was performed on Day 16. I don't have progesterone or E2 levels to back up or dismiss ovulation. I did not have any stims that cycle. It was a preliminary exam. Just trying to make heads or tails out of the ultrasound so I can ask my RE the right questions. Mainly, my follicle count and the lining thickness and how it may affect my success with IVF.

January 21st, 2012, 2:16 am #6

Hi Guys:

Thanks Ladies!

Holly
Nine is a good antral follicle count for age 39. It is not a high number but still good. I think the lining number might be a tad bit lower than they like but it is good enough. I still think all of your numbers look really good.

minka
minka

January 21st, 2012, 2:28 am #7

Hi Guys:

Thanks Ladies!

Holly
Your new RE may have just wanted to check and see where things are at, but in my experience, the only time I ever had a post-ov ultrasound was when I wasn't sure whether I had ovulated... apparently they could see fluid behind my ovaries (I think they said this looks black on the ultrasound) and I think they saw that some of the (immature?) follicles had started shrinking or regressing so that would indicate ovulation took place. Have you had ultrasounds during the beginning of your cycle in the past (usually CD3, then a few days later to see how things are progressing)? Usually a series of ultrasounds during the follicular phase in a single cycle will tell you more than a post-ov ultrasound. This is just based on my experience and understanding of the process, but others might have different opinions/info. Good luck as you prepare for your first IVF cycle!

Also, ditto on the raspberry leaf tea for your lining. You are supposed to drink it (1-3 cups a day) up until ovulation or trigger, then you can resume again on CD1. I think the reason for stopping at ov is because it can trigger uterine contractions which you obviously don't want if you are trying to help implantation. You can buy this tea at Whole Foods or on Amazon, or your grocery store might have it in the natural foods section. Look for the brands Yogi, Traditional Medicinals or Alvita. I personally don't care for the "earthy" taste so I usually put a peppermint tea bag in there to make it more palatable, ha!

Holly
Holly

January 21st, 2012, 2:40 am #8

Thanks Minka for the info. No, I haven't had any Day 3 u/s's. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything really wrong with my post ovulation ultrasound. After looking around a bit today, my lining is on the thin side so I will take your advice on the tea.

Laura
Laura

January 21st, 2012, 3:39 am #9

Thanks Sarah for repsonding. I hoped you'd chime in. I really don't know if I ovulated or not. I did have a + OPK and a dip and rise in my BBT but that may not mean anything. The RE told me he thought based on the condition of my endometrium that I had ovulated 1-2 days prior to the ultrasound which was performed on Day 16. I don't have progesterone or E2 levels to back up or dismiss ovulation. I did not have any stims that cycle. It was a preliminary exam. Just trying to make heads or tails out of the ultrasound so I can ask my RE the right questions. Mainly, my follicle count and the lining thickness and how it may affect my success with IVF.
A large, almost full-sized corpus luteum cyst should still be visible on u/s several days post-O. That's why I didn't think you ovulated, since the largest cyst you had was 11. The RE really should have checked your p4 to confirm. Many of us have found OPKs to be unreliable since our hormones usually start out elevated to begin with. The BBT does imply ovulation, but I've found that also to be unreliable.

My lining was also 7mm on CD17 (O either day 15 or 16) and my RE said it was fine.

Holly
Holly

January 21st, 2012, 3:50 am #10

WOW Sarah! You might be right. I've had CM sporatically throughout my cycle leaving me scratching my head on when I've ovulated. I do have a luteal phase defect (periods anywhere from 24-27 days with low Prog. in the luteal phase) but I just chalked it up to poor follicle development thus weak corpus luteum. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not ovulating at all (anovulatory) which would also explain my luteal phase defect. It probably doesn't matter at this point in time due to the fact that I'm feeling the urgency to have a child before another B-day passes. We have IVF scheduled for March. I probably should have been more proactive about all this 3 years ago when we started having issues! Lesson learned.

Thanks for you info. Always appreciated!

Holly