Cooper Consult :0)

Cooper Consult :0)

teresa
teresa

January 31st, 2012, 12:25 pm #1

Had my consult w/Dr C heck!!

First of all, looking back, everyone who helped me w/directions, with my "navigating Cooper" post...SPOT. ON!!! So, THANK YOU!!!! We left 3 1/2 hours before out appt, anticipating traffic. Made good time, 2 1/2 hours, which was good it gave DH and I a chance to unwind after a long car ride.

I will say, we waited over an hour past our appt time to see Dr C heck, but that was okay because we were kept quite entertained by some patients waiting. I'm glad I was warned about the office decor but I found it funny.

He told me off the bat, for me (recurrent micarriages) IVF was ridiculous so was PGD. He doesn't think I need IVF, he told me if I wanted to do IVF down the road, I could (when I mentioned my age being 39 and scaring me, he told me I was "a baby"- I wanted to CRY) He also said that "high stim IVF" which was what the first RE I saw said I needed, was the WRONG protocol. He spoke to us about progesterone support. He thinks I'm lacking progesterone (as SO many of you have suggested to me!!!!!!!) He said he doesn't believe in me doing baby aspirin. He sent DH off for another SA. And then had me go to an exam room.

He examined me for endo. He also tested me for a bacterial infection that could cause miscarriage, came back normal. Then....the Trans Vag ultrasound, which a nurse did. Dr C wanted to see if I ovulated, since I was on Day 15 with a positive OPK Sat night. WELL- two things.

1. (and I didnt ask what this meant because she was kind of not that friendly and I started to ask questions and she didnt seem to want to be bothered..)but I noticed on the paper that it said FOLLICLES and 42. Doing this U/S, she found a FIBROID in my UTE. Now, keep in mind that December 23rd, I had an HSG!!!! And NOTHING on the report. I was stunned. The RE I saw in Dec had done an U/S on me and didnt mention anything to me.

Now, we regoup. He says DH and I checked out fine. He said since the HSG report (he looked over my report on that) was written as "normal" then he doesnt want to touch it. I won't lie, it bothered me that this OTHER RE didnt pick up on it but I dont know if that happens sometimes so Im trying to let go. I am worried that I have it, but he says leave it alone..I trust him.

He "thinks" I ovulated but couldnt be 100% sure, so he sent me for blood work in the back to test progesterone, beta 2, lica protein, lgg, lgm, lupus anticoagulant, anticardio lipin...antiphosphol tia serum (i may be saying these wrong, he was saying them and i was hurriedly trying to scribble in notebook what he was testing me for) I filled out a CALLBACK sheet and NOW I understand what that's all about...it all "clicked" once I did it..(after reading on here so many times about a call back sheet, I chuckled")

He handed me 3 boxes of endometrin and had me start there in the office, one and was instructed to take another one last night...and going forward 3/day 100 mg each. i have to call the Freedom Pharmacy today to have more sent to the house. My only concern, was if he Couldnt tell I ovulated last night...is starting this before ovulation bad?

I asked him if DH and I should BD when we got home and he laughed and said "you can" then he asked me if I was trying to kill DH. He's VERY funny, I adored him. He's kind and COMPLETELY gets it about spending money unnecessarily. He even said (and it made me tear up) Doctors take a "hippocratic oath" for your well being and they sometimes forget about "financial" well being.

He gave me a stack of articles..He does speak fast and I had to ask him a few times if he could "say that again" He was very patient.

Bottom line- RX- progesterone and TI. We will try it for awhile. I do feel that if Im not PG by May/June, I want to move on to IVF only because I am turning 40 on 8.7 and I want to start IVF before that happens. Doing it at Cooper will be MUCH more affordable for us and truly takes some of the $ pressure off- at least we know with our insurance we will be able to 2 cycles...makes me calmer.

I feel like he is an ANGEL. Even if in a few months, DH and I move on to IVF, we just wanted to try other alternatives BEFORE IVF and none of the 2 RE's we saw before Dr C heck were willing to TRY ANYTHING with us, instead they made us feel doom and gloom and Dr Check gave us much HOPE and CONFIDENCE back. You can't put a price on that!!!

So, I am going to take my endometrin and will be busy today calling OOT places to get an ultrasound in a week and bloods (going to use Quest labs) and may call original OB to see if she would be willing to monitor me but for some reason Im afraid to talk to her...so may call EBCBS and just ask for a sonography place around my area I can go to?

DH and I were very, very happy we went to see him. The front desk nurses were DOLLS, so sweet and patient. Really amazing experience.

Thank you to ALL of you AMAZING women who recommeded Dr Check...had it not been for this board and the advice..I know for SURE I would have NEVER made a drive to NJ to see this RE. Not in a million years!!! I am so grateful.

Hadas
Hadas

January 31st, 2012, 2:18 pm #2

Wow, I would have cried too (in a good way) if he called me a baby (I'm 38)... that's great!

If you don't mind, how much does a consult with Dr. C.heck cost out of pocket? My DH commutes to NJ for a work project and as it turns out, he's not far from Dr. C! We're planning on doing another IVF with my RE in Feb/Mar, but maybe it would make sense to get an opinion from Dr C.

Thanks,
Hadas

January 31st, 2012, 2:25 pm #3

I personally luv Dr check and adore his knowledge. He took me to a stage I would have never imagined in my fartheeeeest dream.

Please excuse any typos, typed from my cell phone!!!

IVF #1...no fertilization
IVF #2...E2 drop, canceled
IVF #3...E2 drop, canceled
Gearing up for IVF #4

January 31st, 2012, 2:26 pm #4

Wow, I would have cried too (in a good way) if he called me a baby (I'm 38)... that's great!

If you don't mind, how much does a consult with Dr. C.heck cost out of pocket? My DH commutes to NJ for a work project and as it turns out, he's not far from Dr. C! We're planning on doing another IVF with my RE in Feb/Mar, but maybe it would make sense to get an opinion from Dr C.

Thanks,
Hadas

Gearing up for IVF #4

Hadas
Hadas

January 31st, 2012, 2:27 pm #5

I personally luv Dr check and adore his knowledge. He took me to a stage I would have never imagined in my fartheeeeest dream.

Gearing up for IVF #4
Hi Anna,
That's amazing!

I know I posted a thread below about doctors who do free phone consults, so I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm pretty sure I've read on this board about him doing free phone consults. Is this correct and if you did this, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hadas
Hadas

January 31st, 2012, 2:27 pm #6

Gearing up for IVF #4
ok! n/t

AJ
AJ

January 31st, 2012, 2:39 pm #7

Had my consult w/Dr C heck!!

First of all, looking back, everyone who helped me w/directions, with my "navigating Cooper" post...SPOT. ON!!! So, THANK YOU!!!! We left 3 1/2 hours before out appt, anticipating traffic. Made good time, 2 1/2 hours, which was good it gave DH and I a chance to unwind after a long car ride.

I will say, we waited over an hour past our appt time to see Dr C heck, but that was okay because we were kept quite entertained by some patients waiting. I'm glad I was warned about the office decor but I found it funny.

He told me off the bat, for me (recurrent micarriages) IVF was ridiculous so was PGD. He doesn't think I need IVF, he told me if I wanted to do IVF down the road, I could (when I mentioned my age being 39 and scaring me, he told me I was "a baby"- I wanted to CRY) He also said that "high stim IVF" which was what the first RE I saw said I needed, was the WRONG protocol. He spoke to us about progesterone support. He thinks I'm lacking progesterone (as SO many of you have suggested to me!!!!!!!) He said he doesn't believe in me doing baby aspirin. He sent DH off for another SA. And then had me go to an exam room.

He examined me for endo. He also tested me for a bacterial infection that could cause miscarriage, came back normal. Then....the Trans Vag ultrasound, which a nurse did. Dr C wanted to see if I ovulated, since I was on Day 15 with a positive OPK Sat night. WELL- two things.

1. (and I didnt ask what this meant because she was kind of not that friendly and I started to ask questions and she didnt seem to want to be bothered..)but I noticed on the paper that it said FOLLICLES and 42. Doing this U/S, she found a FIBROID in my UTE. Now, keep in mind that December 23rd, I had an HSG!!!! And NOTHING on the report. I was stunned. The RE I saw in Dec had done an U/S on me and didnt mention anything to me.

Now, we regoup. He says DH and I checked out fine. He said since the HSG report (he looked over my report on that) was written as "normal" then he doesnt want to touch it. I won't lie, it bothered me that this OTHER RE didnt pick up on it but I dont know if that happens sometimes so Im trying to let go. I am worried that I have it, but he says leave it alone..I trust him.

He "thinks" I ovulated but couldnt be 100% sure, so he sent me for blood work in the back to test progesterone, beta 2, lica protein, lgg, lgm, lupus anticoagulant, anticardio lipin...antiphosphol tia serum (i may be saying these wrong, he was saying them and i was hurriedly trying to scribble in notebook what he was testing me for) I filled out a CALLBACK sheet and NOW I understand what that's all about...it all "clicked" once I did it..(after reading on here so many times about a call back sheet, I chuckled")

He handed me 3 boxes of endometrin and had me start there in the office, one and was instructed to take another one last night...and going forward 3/day 100 mg each. i have to call the Freedom Pharmacy today to have more sent to the house. My only concern, was if he Couldnt tell I ovulated last night...is starting this before ovulation bad?

I asked him if DH and I should BD when we got home and he laughed and said "you can" then he asked me if I was trying to kill DH. He's VERY funny, I adored him. He's kind and COMPLETELY gets it about spending money unnecessarily. He even said (and it made me tear up) Doctors take a "hippocratic oath" for your well being and they sometimes forget about "financial" well being.

He gave me a stack of articles..He does speak fast and I had to ask him a few times if he could "say that again" He was very patient.

Bottom line- RX- progesterone and TI. We will try it for awhile. I do feel that if Im not PG by May/June, I want to move on to IVF only because I am turning 40 on 8.7 and I want to start IVF before that happens. Doing it at Cooper will be MUCH more affordable for us and truly takes some of the $ pressure off- at least we know with our insurance we will be able to 2 cycles...makes me calmer.

I feel like he is an ANGEL. Even if in a few months, DH and I move on to IVF, we just wanted to try other alternatives BEFORE IVF and none of the 2 RE's we saw before Dr C heck were willing to TRY ANYTHING with us, instead they made us feel doom and gloom and Dr Check gave us much HOPE and CONFIDENCE back. You can't put a price on that!!!

So, I am going to take my endometrin and will be busy today calling OOT places to get an ultrasound in a week and bloods (going to use Quest labs) and may call original OB to see if she would be willing to monitor me but for some reason Im afraid to talk to her...so may call EBCBS and just ask for a sonography place around my area I can go to?

DH and I were very, very happy we went to see him. The front desk nurses were DOLLS, so sweet and patient. Really amazing experience.

Thank you to ALL of you AMAZING women who recommeded Dr Check...had it not been for this board and the advice..I know for SURE I would have NEVER made a drive to NJ to see this RE. Not in a million years!!! I am so grateful.
Your visit and plan sounds just like mine- I think you're smart to put a time limit on the natural cycles. Best of luck!!

teresa
teresa

January 31st, 2012, 2:42 pm #8

Thank you AJ. I definitely feel better knowing we have a plan in place, I'm sure you understand.

AJ
AJ

January 31st, 2012, 2:43 pm #9

Your visit and plan sounds just like mine- I think you're smart to put a time limit on the natural cycles. Best of luck!!
It's not a problem as long as it's not in the uterine wall. If it's on the surface it's ok- or at least that's what I'm told. Cooper noticed a fibroid on one of my u/s and it looked suspicious enough to recommend a sonohystogram. From the sono it was discovered that mine was in the lining and had to be removed.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 31st, 2012, 2:43 pm #10

Hi Anna,
That's amazing!

I know I posted a thread below about doctors who do free phone consults, so I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I'm pretty sure I've read on this board about him doing free phone consults. Is this correct and if you did this, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
You can get on his late evening callback list for certain nights, those were no charge (not a consultation though), maybe that is what you were thinking of.