Clinics that cycle everyone at same time

Clinics that cycle everyone at same time

December 26th, 2011, 9:24 pm #1

Has anyone been to clinics like this? I am used to old RE that started a cycle when you got AF. New clinic wants me to start BCP when AF starts. Is this common? Everyone will cycle 3rd week in January. Am I going to stop BCP and AF will automatically come? I go tomorrow to go over everything but I am just nervous about tricking my body. I hope I am making the right choice by switching REs. Old RE needs 5 eggs to make it to retrieval. I can only get 2 so I had to switch. New RE will go with one.

Sara H
Sara H

December 27th, 2011, 12:10 am #2

like many places they are closed a week in Jan?

So, you could not do it and skip a cycle or two if the timing is off. BCP's do tend to suppress a lot of us.

But, they also could be using is as an estrogen priming?

I don't know but I would really question them about it.
What clinic?

December 27th, 2011, 1:25 am #3

Has anyone been to clinics like this? I am used to old RE that started a cycle when you got AF. New clinic wants me to start BCP when AF starts. Is this common? Everyone will cycle 3rd week in January. Am I going to stop BCP and AF will automatically come? I go tomorrow to go over everything but I am just nervous about tricking my body. I hope I am making the right choice by switching REs. Old RE needs 5 eggs to make it to retrieval. I can only get 2 so I had to switch. New RE will go with one.
I've seen it done before. In my opinion it is typically bad for high FSH'ers and not necessarily that good for other ladies either. Too much BCP's can oversuppress some women.

December 27th, 2011, 2:43 am #4

batches us all I suppose coz he works alone & therefore easier to manage. He also used HRC for ER & ET up until December 2011 when he started doing these in his office, so goes back to ease of management. I was concerned when I started stimming before AF, because everyone stopped BCPs on the same day. Beta should have been today but lab closed early so an extra day of agony & no symptoms at all.I

anna
anna

December 27th, 2011, 8:39 am #5

I don't like to scare any one, but I personally wouldn't go to a clinic that does that. its just my personal choice. High Fshers body is so sensitive to all the hormones that i don't see that being a good idea. In fact among all the well known high FSH friendly Res that I know, none of them put you in BCP before an IVF.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 27th, 2011, 2:19 pm #6

Based upon my participation on many boards, I think its more common than not to start people with BCP's in order to batch patients. However, in your case, it may or may not be a good idea. My clinic both batches and allows people to cycle outside of the batched cycle which is hard to do when there is only one Dr....which I believe is your situation. From what I recall, you are not doing an estrogen priming protocol so you will not be on both BCP's and estrogen which can lead to over-suppression. What I did was start with Lupron on CD21. I was on an EPP though.

What I would do is tell your Dr your concerns. He may want you on BCP's for reasons other than batching. If not, ask not to be batched. This should not be a problem as long as your estimated ER and ET dates are within th cycle time-frame. Also...you are doing banking cycles only if I recall so this gives you more flexibility and time for you to cycle within the required time frame.

December 27th, 2011, 9:42 pm #7

I don't have a choice but to be batched. I will be on BCP for 9 days and its a low dose of 1mg. I met with them today and they do this with everyone. I am cycling at SIRM. I am so nervous that it will supress me as did the last estrogen priming protocol I tried last month. I am doing mini IVF so not expecting more than 1 follicle anyway. Having the one doctor is good in one way but inconvenient in others. I like how he will know my body and I will get the same one but scheduling IVF around other womens' cycles is weird. Not to mention they dont have early morning hour appts for b/w and u/s. God help me.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

December 27th, 2011, 10:11 pm #8

Here's what I would do. SIRM-NY will allow you to cycle outside of the cycle time period although I do not think the head nurse likes it I say this only to say..whom did you ask? I have had the head nurse tell me that I needed to be batched and once even try to put me on Cetrotide for a RIDICULOUS amount of time prior to starting stims in order that I remain in cycle. I questioned this and asked my Dr only to have my Dr say no..I can cycle outside the normal time frame. I have twice and many others do too. So..if you haven't asked the Dr directly..it might be worth it to e-mail him directly.

Also..I did not think you were doing estrogen priming. Are you? If you are..yes..I would be concerned about doing both BCP's and an estrogen priming protocol if you normally only get one follie. I would also explain what EPP did to you before to the Dr. and have him tell you why you should repeat what you already know did not work. JMHO. I know it's hard to be confrontational at times..but it's your dime and he could do something else like have you start on Lupron CD21 which is what Dr. T did for me when I expressed concern about using both BCP's and estrogen and I had absolutely no basis for believing that I would be supressed as it was my first IVF. However, he listened and I had very good cycles with no issues. It was no big deal. I really do not see why they can't offer another option as long as you will be done with ER during the cycle time frame.

December 28th, 2011, 12:15 am #9

Based upon my participation on many boards, I think its more common than not to start people with BCP's in order to batch patients. However, in your case, it may or may not be a good idea. My clinic both batches and allows people to cycle outside of the batched cycle which is hard to do when there is only one Dr....which I believe is your situation. From what I recall, you are not doing an estrogen priming protocol so you will not be on both BCP's and estrogen which can lead to over-suppression. What I did was start with Lupron on CD21. I was on an EPP though.

What I would do is tell your Dr your concerns. He may want you on BCP's for reasons other than batching. If not, ask not to be batched. This should not be a problem as long as your estimated ER and ET dates are within th cycle time-frame. Also...you are doing banking cycles only if I recall so this gives you more flexibility and time for you to cycle within the required time frame.
On BCP first time, next time requested Estrace instead. Didnt really make a big difference for me as to follie count. My RE worked with me so hopefully yours will to!!
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 28th, 2011, 3:56 am #10

thankfully I never had to find my way to clinic that only had that option because BCPs oversuppress me. EPP also oversuppressed me. I think you should reach out to the RE directly and tell him your concern.