Check Ladies: First Appointment, BBT charts? Exam? DH test?

Check Ladies: First Appointment, BBT charts? Exam? DH test?

Sara H.
Sara H.

April 28th, 2011, 9:09 pm #1

(OK, I know I'll be posting a few questions in the next few days before my first Check appointment, I apologize in advance! I'll try to keep them to a minimum and always do a 'search' first in case this question has already been answered! Thank you!)

First Dr. Check appointment:

Does he want to see BBT charts? I am happy to bring them but don't want to bury the man with paperwork...

Also, when I asked about first appointments it was mentioned that he'll do an exam on me? A sono? I just had a pap 6 months ago and would rather not have another... but I have my paperwork on that.

Post Coital test: I will be cycle day 17, they can't do it then, right? Too late in the cycle?

And: DH semen analysis*: Anyone good at reading these? (Got some info online, just wondering about your thoughts?)
We were told by one dr. it was abnormal, which is what the sheet read, another said "fine because he has such high volume" Here are the stats, any input?

(Also: I know Dr. Check will be asking for a sample from him... he has always done this at home as it makes him more comfortable but that won't be possible as we will be staying an hour away... should I tell him about the test or not? I don't want him to over think it... so to speak... or is it worse for him to be surprised? What did you do?)

Thanks, Ladies, very very much!!!
Sara H.

Volume: 2ml (normal)
pH: 8 (7.2-8 normal)
Concentration (x10/ml) 85million (20million normal)
WBC: 0.1 (less than normal)
Percent Motility: 61% (> 50%)
Progression: 2 (normal 2, range 0-4)
Normal Morphology: 14% (> 30%)
Abnormal Morphology: 86% (Some coiled tail, many small heads and tapered heads)

Since then he has switched to boxers, exercised more and been taking vits... can we exspect a better result?

April 28th, 2011, 9:50 pm #2

Sarah - the only info Check took from me was previous test results ie CF etc. He did a sperm analysis w/ DH, and b/w and u/s and pap test with me. It was a long appt I am sure you have heard. There is a Chick-Fil-A nearby and the Cherry Hill mall is pretty close too. Remind me when is your appt?

Sara H
Sara H

April 29th, 2011, 2:15 am #3

My appointment is next week. I'll post about how it goes. I keep swinging from hopeful to hoping he says my FSH is 110 and that we need to move on... part of the reason we are going is not only to try this last path but also to be able to get on the donor embie list, in case that is how we chose to go.

Did you tell your DH about his test first or not???

Thank you!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 29th, 2011, 3:16 pm #4

(OK, I know I'll be posting a few questions in the next few days before my first Check appointment, I apologize in advance! I'll try to keep them to a minimum and always do a 'search' first in case this question has already been answered! Thank you!)

Does he want to see BBT charts? I am happy to bring them but don't want to bury the man with paperwork...

Also, when I asked about first appointments it was mentioned that he'll do an exam on me? A sono? I just had a pap 6 months ago and would rather not have another... but I have my paperwork on that.

Post Coital test: I will be cycle day 17, they can't do it then, right? Too late in the cycle?

And: DH semen analysis*: Anyone good at reading these? (Got some info online, just wondering about your thoughts?)
We were told by one dr. it was abnormal, which is what the sheet read, another said "fine because he has such high volume" Here are the stats, any input?

(Also: I know Dr. Check will be asking for a sample from him... he has always done this at home as it makes him more comfortable but that won't be possible as we will be staying an hour away... should I tell him about the test or not? I don't want him to over think it... so to speak... or is it worse for him to be surprised? What did you do?)

Sara H.

Since then he has switched to boxers, exercised more and been taking vits... can we exspect a better result?

Check didn't look at my BBT and menstrual cycle charts. (no RE ever has). I kept track of all my cycles for the past 3-4 years on mymonthlycycle.com and they have a nice print out function and those print outs have fallen by the wayside and are stashed away somewhere in my files. Take it in case you want to reference for yourself but I wouldn't go crazy putting it together.

They'll do a sono on you but not a pap. The vag swab that Check does is to check the vag cells (I don't recall 100% on this one but I think it's to check progesterone or something???)

I'd have sex the night before anyway just in case you can do a post-coital. The post-coital is only valid if done prior to ovulation and since your CD17 maybe you'll miss that window, but maybe not. Just make sure to address this right away, as in, "hey I have some semen inside me in case anyone wants to check."

I never saw the DH collection room but my DH was not thrilled with it. Does your DH need a nice and fluffy and cozy room? I would tell him ahead of time just so he's aware. Last minute might cause him to go blank

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 29th, 2011, 3:22 pm #5

Sarah - the only info Check took from me was previous test results ie CF etc. He did a sperm analysis w/ DH, and b/w and u/s and pap test with me. It was a long appt I am sure you have heard. There is a Chick-Fil-A nearby and the Cherry Hill mall is pretty close too. Remind me when is your appt?
which is the vag swab to check your vag cells and then you go and look at them under the microscope?

Sara - as Rebekah said, they will need copies of your test results as it relates to the infectious diseases, pap, mammo, CF, and all those others.

It does help to bring them with you because then they'll have "proof" that they won't need to redraw certain bloods that day but do not worry if you do not have them at your first visit. After your visit you will receive a letter in the mail from the Cooper medical records lady with a list of what labs/tests they have on file for you and what they need. It will be broken down for you and for DH. Enclosed there'll also be the orders to get the missing testing done.

Tanya
Tanya

April 29th, 2011, 5:11 pm #6

Check didn't look at my BBT and menstrual cycle charts. (no RE ever has). I kept track of all my cycles for the past 3-4 years on mymonthlycycle.com and they have a nice print out function and those print outs have fallen by the wayside and are stashed away somewhere in my files. Take it in case you want to reference for yourself but I wouldn't go crazy putting it together.

They'll do a sono on you but not a pap. The vag swab that Check does is to check the vag cells (I don't recall 100% on this one but I think it's to check progesterone or something???)

I'd have sex the night before anyway just in case you can do a post-coital. The post-coital is only valid if done prior to ovulation and since your CD17 maybe you'll miss that window, but maybe not. Just make sure to address this right away, as in, "hey I have some semen inside me in case anyone wants to check."

I never saw the DH collection room but my DH was not thrilled with it. Does your DH need a nice and fluffy and cozy room? I would tell him ahead of time just so he's aware. Last minute might cause him to go blank
My DH has gotten in the habit of comparing clinics rooms and materials. He jokes that you cant be too quick but cant be too long or they will wonder what is going on.
Apparently, he was done providing the sample but didnt think it was time to go yet so he was snooping around. There was some sort of file cabinet in the secret room and his wedding band got stuck and flew off. He had to move a bunch of stuff to get his ring and was sure the nurses were wondering what he was doing with all the noise. He came back all red faced but it wasnt until we were in the car when he told me the story.

I would tell him ahead of time that it may be required to calm any anxiety that could effect the test results

Tanya
Tanya

April 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm #7

Sara H.

Oh and as far as brining information, I had a binder organized with everything related to my cycle and I offered the information and he took it but we didnt even discuss nor did he seem interested. Bottom line was whatever treatment I had received didnt work so I dont think he put that much value in it. Remember Cooper will monitor you so they will know what is going on with your cycle.
Are you staying by the office?

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 29th, 2011, 5:18 pm #8

My DH has gotten in the habit of comparing clinics rooms and materials. He jokes that you cant be too quick but cant be too long or they will wonder what is going on.
Apparently, he was done providing the sample but didnt think it was time to go yet so he was snooping around. There was some sort of file cabinet in the secret room and his wedding band got stuck and flew off. He had to move a bunch of stuff to get his ring and was sure the nurses were wondering what he was doing with all the noise. He came back all red faced but it wasnt until we were in the car when he told me the story.

I would tell him ahead of time that it may be required to calm any anxiety that could effect the test results
this is a fantastic laugh!!! sounds like something my own DH would do!

Did that happen at Cooper???

Sara H
Sara H

April 29th, 2011, 6:07 pm #9

Yeah, I will warn DH... I have no idea what he 'needs'... so warning him seems appropriate.

Post-coital, will be prepared in case but, I have to say, I CAN'T imagine saying, "hey I have some semen inside me in case anyone wants to check."
I'm from New England, it is not possible that that sentence could ever pass my lips, ever. But, I can find another way to say somehting similar!

I will bring my pap results, maybe that will get me out of that again, not my favorite test. I also have all the genetic tests, the IVF/IUI protocol stuff, and blood work levels.

Thank you very much Mrs.A!

Sara H.

Sara H.
Sara H.

April 29th, 2011, 6:22 pm #10

Oh and as far as brining information, I had a binder organized with everything related to my cycle and I offered the information and he took it but we didnt even discuss nor did he seem interested. Bottom line was whatever treatment I had received didnt work so I dont think he put that much value in it. Remember Cooper will monitor you so they will know what is going on with your cycle.
Are you staying by the office?
Good to know. I just don't want to pay for any tests that I have already had done...

For example: in going over my tests my RE ran and my OBGYN ran they overlapped a lot with my genetic tests, you know, the ones that DON'T change. Seem both ran them even though I gave full copies to me RE. Expensive mistake just to find out I am still negative for all those...

We are not staying by the office, we are staying with friends an hour north of there by the shore. We are only two hours away anyway but would rather be ready to stay in the area in case he wants us back the next day, which I doubt since I will actually be cycle day 19. (I miss calculated before.)

Again, thank you for all the input and info!
It is very very helpful, and if DH loses his wedding ring I will have serious questions...

Sara H.