can embryo get stuck in catheter?

can embryo get stuck in catheter?

worried
worried

March 16th, 2012, 11:19 pm #1

Is it possible for the embryo to get stuck in the catheter? When I was doing the transfer (SIRM=NY), I never heard the embryologist go back and check the catheter to make sure it was clear. The doctor stayed with me 5 minutes and then left. In Cooper, they always yelled "all clear" so I also knew the catheter was empty. I didn't think of it at the time, but when I got home, I realized that I never heard the embryologist say this. Did they check?

ekb88
ekb88

March 17th, 2012, 1:05 am #2

I know they checked because we talked about it. My guess is they are just more subtle about it than Dr. Check's office and it wasn't as obvious to you. I'm sure they checked.

March 17th, 2012, 2:24 am #3

Is it possible for the embryo to get stuck in the catheter? When I was doing the transfer (SIRM=NY), I never heard the embryologist go back and check the catheter to make sure it was clear. The doctor stayed with me 5 minutes and then left. In Cooper, they always yelled "all clear" so I also knew the catheter was empty. I didn't think of it at the time, but when I got home, I realized that I never heard the embryologist say this. Did they check?
that is why there is a final check done of the catheter by the embryologist.

I had ETs at both C-ooper and C=ornell and each time there was a very obvious hand-off of catheter to embryologist and an "all clear" given.

It's very likely this took place at your ET although maybe it wasn't obvious.  I would call the office tomorrow and just ask what the protocol is so that you have peace of mind.

Good luck for your cycle!

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 17th, 2012, 3:15 am #4

They were making sure the embryo was out of the catheter just as they did at Cooper, just verbalize it differently. That's what it sounds like to me. I think you are good!!! Good luck!!!

BabyDance
BabyDance

March 17th, 2012, 3:22 am #5

it's late and i"m tired - misread your post - but I don't think you should worry - agree with previous poster - they just don't yell there - when I was at Cooper, I heard them count to 33 for the person next to me. It took a while for me to realize - they retrieved 33 eggs - I thought I'd kill myself. I think it's bad that they yell everything. I've cycled both places, and they are just more low key (was it DR. T??). I would not worry about that. Good luck.

March 17th, 2012, 4:44 am #6

But to ease your mind I also think it would be a good idea to call tomorrow and ask about the checking protocol and let them know you were worried. But I really do think they checked the catheter and just didn't say anything.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

March 17th, 2012, 1:32 pm #7

They ALWAYS have the embryologist check and give the "all clear." Always. The embryologist leaves the room...the Dr sits there a few minutes...gets the "all clear" and then props your legs up on the table to lay there. I would not worry...but e-mail your Dr and double-check if you are concerned.

Alli
Alli

March 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm #8

it's late and i"m tired - misread your post - but I don't think you should worry - agree with previous poster - they just don't yell there - when I was at Cooper, I heard them count to 33 for the person next to me. It took a while for me to realize - they retrieved 33 eggs - I thought I'd kill myself. I think it's bad that they yell everything. I've cycled both places, and they are just more low key (was it DR. T??). I would not worry about that. Good luck.
I remember checking out everyone in the waiting room on retrieval day and thinking how many freaking eggs they had and I had a measly 2.

Oh and at SIRM STL I didn't hear any all clear or anything like that. I guess they do it quieter!!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

March 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm #9

They ALWAYS have the embryologist check and give the "all clear." Always. The embryologist leaves the room...the Dr sits there a few minutes...gets the "all clear" and then props your legs up on the table to lay there. I would not worry...but e-mail your Dr and double-check if you are concerned.
If your transfer takes place in the large operating room where they do the ET's...you can usually hear the embryologist say "all clear" because the lab is next door and the embryologist will open that little window on the wall and talk to the Dr.. If you are in one of the regular exam rooms for ET...either the nurse or embryologist will come in and give the all clear.