Bravelle made things worse

Bravelle made things worse

August 2nd, 2012, 6:49 pm #1

Hi all,
I'm feeling pretty bummed about my first mini-IVF process. I took Bravelle for 2 stinking days and they told me it was having an adverse effect on my FSH levels. Look what happened:

(Day 3): E= 11.5, FSH= 8
(Day 5): E=50, FSH= 12
(Day 7)-- 2 days of Bravelle shots: E= 15, FSH= 18.5

I will say there was something unusual already in my Day 5 numbers. Usually my E2 doesn't rise until about Day 10.

They took me off the Bravelle and I'm just continuing to take Estinyl while we wait for my E2 to rise on its own. Does this means that I can't take any stims to produce additional follicles? And that I have to do natural cycle IVF (with my one, hopefully good egg)? I don't know if a different stim med would act differently. Co.oper said nothing about that.

Nancy
Nancy

August 2nd, 2012, 10:31 pm #2

When I did my first mini-IVF, I was also taking estinyl. It can really oversuppress some people. My FSH rose from 9 to nearly 30 at one point around CD 8 (my E2 was rising VERY slowly, like less than 5 points each time I had it checked). They had me stop injections too when my FSH was around 25 and E2 was not rising. I also took the ethinyl every other day at this point, because I felt like it was suppressing me too much. Once I stopped taking it every day, my E2 levels slowly rose and I started to grow follicles (I think I stopped injections and started Ethinyl every other day around CD8 or 9? So similar to you) It was super frustrating, but eventually things took off. It took longer than normal (I had ER on CD21, when normal ovulatino for me is around CD13). So my guess is that the ethinyl is oversurpressing you and maybe you could take it every other day and see if that helps? They had no problem with me doing that. So in my opinion based on my experience and from what I have seen happen to others here, this is not the doing of Bravelle, it's the Ethinyl.

I cant explain why your E2 dropped from 50 to 15, except to say that in my experience, ethinyl really oversupresses me and is very powerful. My guess is that this is what is happening to you. Also, is there any way your CD7 E2 number is a mistake (did it really drop from 50 to 15?) How many follicles did you have on each day, and what sizes? I have not had this happen to me before (an E2 drop so early in the cycle), so I cant comment too much on it, but was curious if you knew your follicle count/sizes where you could compare and see if that third E2 number is a mistake? It is normal for your FSH to rise after injections (part of the FSH measurement actually comes from the injection itself), so I dont understand why they told you it was having an adverse effect unless they are referring to the drop in E2 and rise in FSH (but part of that is normal, so dont worry too much about that).

Hope to hear an update from you on what happens if you want to share. GOOD LUCK!

Nancy

August 3rd, 2012, 3:02 am #3

Thanks for the encouragement Nancy. I really appreciated reading that on a bad day.
I'm quite confused about the whole mini-IVF and natural protocols, esp. after reading two posts above this one!

Dr. Co hen also told me to expect 1-2 eggs w/a mini-stim. Now I wonder why I would get stims at all (in hopes I'll get one more egg? Because I create 1 egg per cycle w/o stims!) I get frustrated b/c the nurse can't explain the 'big picture' very well and I like to think a few steps ahead (if A happens, then B...and so forth).

The Estrace vs. Estinyl info is interesting. I take Estrace after I ovulate, then take Estinyl when I start my period...was told that Estinyl doesn't show up in the b/w.
I did experience oversuppression on Estinyl two cycles ago. Eventually stopped it and the follicle grew.

I had no follicles they could see on my Day 3 u/s. I also wondered if my b/w numbers were wrong (either on Day 5 or Day 7). Who knows? It can drive you crazy, but I'm working on riding the waves of emotion and sticking with the process.

Best wishes to you and I'll be keeping an eye on the board.
E

Lost
Lost

August 3rd, 2012, 12:02 pm #4

Hi all,
I'm feeling pretty bummed about my first mini-IVF process. I took Bravelle for 2 stinking days and they told me it was having an adverse effect on my FSH levels. Look what happened:

I will say there was something unusual already in my Day 5 numbers. Usually my E2 doesn't rise until about Day 10.

They took me off the Bravelle and I'm just continuing to take Estinyl while we wait for my E2 to rise on its own. Does this means that I can't take any stims to produce additional follicles? And that I have to do natural cycle IVF (with my one, hopefully good egg)? I don't know if a different stim med would act differently. Co.oper said nothing about that.

Wouldn't your FSH be higher since Bravelle contains FSH?

August 3rd, 2012, 3:52 pm #5

Good question. Since Bravelle is FSH, seems like it would raise the number, so what's the big deal? So apparently is was the E2 level going down that made them take me off the Bravelle, even though the nurse said, "It is having an adverse effect on your FSH." Go figure.

August 3rd, 2012, 4:16 pm #6

Hi all,

Yes; bravelle will definitely make your fsh higher-- it IS fsh. If you'd like to see for yourself, you can buy fsh test strips (cheaper online), test days 2 and 3 to get a baseline for that cycle, then test after the first few days of stims. I've done this just to get a sense of how much a difference 2 vials make. Answer: a lot!! I have done this at least three times, all with same results. Please don't stress! What happened is very normal.

Nancy
Nancy

August 3rd, 2012, 4:37 pm #7

Good question. Since Bravelle is FSH, seems like it would raise the number, so what's the big deal? So apparently is was the E2 level going down that made them take me off the Bravelle, even though the nurse said, "It is having an adverse effect on your FSH." Go figure.
Going down which made them say it I think. For sure part of your fsh number is from the bravelle. I think you could be oversupressed but your e2 should eventually rise. I know the first time they took my fsh during stolims and it was high I freaked out and they told me part of it was the follistim.

Nancy