Any ideas on what kind of professional I can talk with re supplements I should take?

Any ideas on what kind of professional I can talk with re supplements I should take?

Gi8
Gi8

March 19th, 2011, 2:08 pm #1

Up until now I have only been taking a women's multi and co-q10 for about two weeks besides the meds (P4 and Estrace or Estinyl) Check has prescribed. Yesterday I got a burst of energy at Costco and bought giant bottles of Vit D3, resveratrol, and super B-complex because of posts I saw on these boards. I downed them last night and again this morning.

Now after searching the boards again this morning for more information on how much, how often and when to take supplements, I'm getting a little overwhelmed and wondering if I should actually go talk to someone who can tell me what I should be taking rather than just taking every possible thing I'm seeing posted on here kind.

Any ideas on what kind of "professional" I should speak with? A nutritionist? Doctor? Homeopathic? TCM?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Gi8

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

March 19th, 2011, 2:33 pm #2

I would speak with a nutritionist or naturopathic doctor. I had consulted with a naturopathic doctor.

March 19th, 2011, 4:08 pm #3

Up until now I have only been taking a women's multi and co-q10 for about two weeks besides the meds (P4 and Estrace or Estinyl) Check has prescribed. Yesterday I got a burst of energy at Costco and bought giant bottles of Vit D3, resveratrol, and super B-complex because of posts I saw on these boards. I downed them last night and again this morning.

Now after searching the boards again this morning for more information on how much, how often and when to take supplements, I'm getting a little overwhelmed and wondering if I should actually go talk to someone who can tell me what I should be taking rather than just taking every possible thing I'm seeing posted on here kind.

Any ideas on what kind of "professional" I should speak with? A nutritionist? Doctor? Homeopathic? TCM?

Gi8
I have an appointment with a TCM next friday. She is also a nutritionist and was recommended by my RE. I plan on grilling her about supplements, so I will definitely share whatever I learn.

Jamie had mentioned Ubiquinol, which is a precursor of Coenzyme Q10 that is more easily absorbed and creates higher levels of CoQ10 in the blood stream (I looked it up). I just bought some at whole foods and woweee...it is expensive! The bottle I got was $40 (discounted from $50). And it is only 100 mg tabs. Jamie recommended 300 mg a day, which according to the label results in a 775% increase in CoQ10 blood levels. Which is a lot. I'm starting at 100mg Ubiquinol and my 300mg CoQ10. I will stick with that until I see that the TCM says.

I would love to hear from some folks who have consulted nutritionists or TCMs on this to see if there is any consensus among the professionals.

March 19th, 2011, 4:46 pm #4

She's expected to deliver anytime soon!! (YAY!!!!!)

I believe she recommended 400 mg a day of each - CoQ10 and Ubiquinol - totaling 800 mg a day.

Cee
Cee

March 19th, 2011, 8:56 pm #5

Gi8
I only take CoQ10 right now, in addition to a multi-vitamin and fish oil (I had been taking those for awhile prior to my high FSH diagnosis). So let me know what you end up finding out!

How are things going otherwise? You have a beta this next week right?

Gi8
Gi8

March 20th, 2011, 4:02 pm #6

I would speak with a nutritionist or naturopathic doctor. I had consulted with a naturopathic doctor.
Thanks, Mrs. A - going to look into naturopathic in my area! n/t

Gi8
Gi8

March 20th, 2011, 4:05 pm #7

I have an appointment with a TCM next friday. She is also a nutritionist and was recommended by my RE. I plan on grilling her about supplements, so I will definitely share whatever I learn.

Jamie had mentioned Ubiquinol, which is a precursor of Coenzyme Q10 that is more easily absorbed and creates higher levels of CoQ10 in the blood stream (I looked it up). I just bought some at whole foods and woweee...it is expensive! The bottle I got was $40 (discounted from $50). And it is only 100 mg tabs. Jamie recommended 300 mg a day, which according to the label results in a 775% increase in CoQ10 blood levels. Which is a lot. I'm starting at 100mg Ubiquinol and my 300mg CoQ10. I will stick with that until I see that the TCM says.

I would love to hear from some folks who have consulted nutritionists or TCMs on this to see if there is any consensus among the professionals.
Yes, please share whatever the TCM tells you! I will do the same! Thanks! Gi8

Gi8
Gi8

March 20th, 2011, 4:07 pm #8

She's expected to deliver anytime soon!! (YAY!!!!!)

I believe she recommended 400 mg a day of each - CoQ10 and Ubiquinol - totaling 800 mg a day.
Thanks, MargieD - haven't gone the Ubiq route yet, but ready to start! nt

Gi8
Gi8

March 20th, 2011, 4:12 pm #9

I only take CoQ10 right now, in addition to a multi-vitamin and fish oil (I had been taking those for awhile prior to my high FSH diagnosis). So let me know what you end up finding out!

How are things going otherwise? You have a beta this next week right?
beta is this Friday. I'm doing ok. Feeling pre-menstrual which gets me all emotional and angry... poor DH! But my plan is to try to distract myself all week and just wait for the beta, no P-ing OAS for me this week. Too much of a rollercoaster for me.

How about you? How are you doing?

Gi8

Gi8
Gi8

March 20th, 2011, 4:29 pm #10

I have never gotten an AFC checked. Do you recommend this? Is this an indicator of quality? I was told there is no way to assess quality except for when IVF is used.

Also, I read somewhere along the way that taking folic acid (which is usually beefed up in pre-natals) is not recommended to high FSH folks. Have you heard this?

Finally, what does crinone do?

Thanks for your help, Mrs. A!

Gi8