AJ - What did the callback nurse say?? n/t

MargieD
MargieD

July 13th, 2011, 12:41 pm #1

AJ
AJ

July 13th, 2011, 2:58 pm #2

Oh hi! Thanks for asking...she thought based on the report from the local RE that the cyst on the right (the bigger one) was just a fluid filled cyst and the one on the left was an egg follicle. When she said the measurements, the one on the left was bigger than I remember the RE saying during the u/s.

She told me to go in this morning for b/w and u/s. The cyst on the right is getting bigger, I think up to 29mm and there were about 3 smaller ones. I'm not sure how much the one on the left grew since I'm not sure of the measurement from yesterday with about 5 smaller ones- I also write down the b/w results but didn't write the u/s this time. I was trying to get dinner ready with my DD melting down in the background:) The nurse said we'd wait for today's results and maybe do an HCG trigger. My lining is TL but only 5mm, but I guess with trigger and extra P4 support to plump it up they're not worried.

On a side note, when I was getting my blood drawn the tech said something about how I was just in yesterday and I told her how I've missed important info the last two cycles and they really want to monitor my closely and she said "seems like a little overkill" LOL! Now I just hope Cooper doesn't want me to go back tomorrow because I'm getting a bit of a complex:)!!!

Did you take your trigger yet?

MargieD
MargieD

July 13th, 2011, 3:17 pm #3

Hmm... that is interesting. How does the local RE do the measurements? My local nurse averages the measurements. For instance - if top to bottom measures 14 and the right to left measures 12 - they'll say that it's a 13 mm follicle.

Wonder what size follicles are on the left?? With your E2 number, I thought for sure that the 29 mm "thing" was a follicle - not a cyst!

I am not very good at writing the numbers from the u/s either. I just remember how many I've had and if they're getting bigger.

As for the local nurses, they make me soooo mad at times. I usually deal with two different ones. One is really good about it. She pretty much understands what Dr. Check is trying to do - "catch a good egg." She also knows that with my FSH reading at 79 on CD 3, her RE wouldn't be working with me. The other - oh my gosh - depending on my mood - she can make me soooo mad. She'll make comments like, "Oh, you're back again????" Or - "Your doctor wants ALLLLLLL of these numbers???" I don't know if she realizes how much these comments bother me. If she knew, she probably wouldn't say it.

There was another nurse that I worked with once or twice. She had the attitude of "why are you here???" Then I blurted out that I had a baby. She said, "Oh, you adopted her???" "Oh, no!!! She's MINE!!!!!" I showed her some pictures and it was obvious she looked like me. She started blubbering and all that. I brought DD with me a couple of times after that.

Sometimes I'd like to say... "Well - you guys were my FIRST RE practice... and I was with you guys for about two years... trying just about everything but IVF, trigger shots, and P4 support.... and I decide to switch REs and now I have a beautiful baby...WHY COULDN'T YOUR RES HELP ME?!?!? Excuse me for thinking of a chance at another one and for NOT wanting to work with your REs!" Instead, I just smile and let it go....

Sorry for the rant... but sometimes I just need to let it out...

ANYWAY - I did the trigger shot last night. DH hasn't been feeling well so he did Benedryl... but luckily we BDed before he passed out.... ohhh... the things we do... LOL

July 13th, 2011, 3:22 pm #4

Rant all you want! I love the image of you telling your local RE office off (even if you don't really do it)!

AJ
AJ

July 13th, 2011, 7:25 pm #5

Hmm... that is interesting. How does the local RE do the measurements? My local nurse averages the measurements. For instance - if top to bottom measures 14 and the right to left measures 12 - they'll say that it's a 13 mm follicle.

Wonder what size follicles are on the left?? With your E2 number, I thought for sure that the 29 mm "thing" was a follicle - not a cyst!

I am not very good at writing the numbers from the u/s either. I just remember how many I've had and if they're getting bigger.

As for the local nurses, they make me soooo mad at times. I usually deal with two different ones. One is really good about it. She pretty much understands what Dr. Check is trying to do - "catch a good egg." She also knows that with my FSH reading at 79 on CD 3, her RE wouldn't be working with me. The other - oh my gosh - depending on my mood - she can make me soooo mad. She'll make comments like, "Oh, you're back again????" Or - "Your doctor wants ALLLLLLL of these numbers???" I don't know if she realizes how much these comments bother me. If she knew, she probably wouldn't say it.

There was another nurse that I worked with once or twice. She had the attitude of "why are you here???" Then I blurted out that I had a baby. She said, "Oh, you adopted her???" "Oh, no!!! She's MINE!!!!!" I showed her some pictures and it was obvious she looked like me. She started blubbering and all that. I brought DD with me a couple of times after that.

Sometimes I'd like to say... "Well - you guys were my FIRST RE practice... and I was with you guys for about two years... trying just about everything but IVF, trigger shots, and P4 support.... and I decide to switch REs and now I have a beautiful baby...WHY COULDN'T YOUR RES HELP ME?!?!? Excuse me for thinking of a chance at another one and for NOT wanting to work with your REs!" Instead, I just smile and let it go....

Sorry for the rant... but sometimes I just need to let it out...

ANYWAY - I did the trigger shot last night. DH hasn't been feeling well so he did Benedryl... but luckily we BDed before he passed out.... ohhh... the things we do... LOL
When the nurse made the "overkill" comment I just gave a nervous laugh. I think she felt bad after she said it because she was very talkative about other stuff and usually isn't like that. But after that I was waiting in the u/s room and I could hear low talking outside the door before the tech came in and all I could think was, they're out there saying "there's the local monitoring patient, poor girl they're just wasting her money, she won't get pregnant". How sad and paranoid is that!!! And I just had to call and have them refax my results so now I'm worried they're going to drop me because I'm too much effort!! But it's this combined with the "old fashioned" comment they made in regards to the post-coital test I posted about is giving me a complex! Seriously, not paying them for commentary....

I can't believe they asked if you adopted your DD. I like to bring my DD with me sometimes too just to remind them that it is possible. Makes me want to get pregnant even more (if that's possible) just to prove them wrong!!

I did get my b/w online though-
FSH- 5
E2- 472
LH- 6
P4- 0.2

So it don't know what's going on. I asked about the big cyst not being the egg follicle and I think they think it isn't because it's so big- if it were an egg follicle it would've ovulated already I guess. So I think the cyst is producing estrogen, but no way to know how much so don't know what's happening in there with the other follicles. I have a lot of small ones, which is kind of good news to me just that I have them- even though they won't develop.

I'll update after my callback:)

MargieD
MargieD

July 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm #6

If your E2 is rising because of the growing follicles and not because of the estrogen-filled cyst - then I think that's a good sign!

The reason why post-coitals are "old fashioned" is because most REs don't expect their patients to get pregnant with TI. They expect to do IVF with most of their patients. And with IVF - it doesn't matter what results of the post-coitals are.

Why should they drop you if they're making money off of you?? I worried about the same thing...but then I reason - then they must not want my business that bad enough - you know??

And yes - having lots of follicles - even small ones - is a good sign - or at least - in my opinion.

Anyway - let us know what the nurse says!

AJ
AJ

July 13th, 2011, 10:12 pm #7

So ughhh....I do have to go back tomorrow for b/w and u/s. I'm trying to think of witty and humorous things to say to the nurses tomorrow to head off any snarky comments:).

So Dr. Check is closely watching the big one on the right, it's at 29mm now. They think now it could be a functioning egg follicle with my E2 so high (472). I have 2 measurable ones on the left at ~11mm. Remember how I mentioned that the nurse yesterday referenced a follicle on the left bigger than I remembered from the u/s? Apparently there was some confusion and when she looked closer is was actually the measurement of the ovary and not a follicle.

So I'll repeat labs tomorrow and probably do trigger tomorrow night. I haven't had a problem with releasing in the past but the nurse said that when the follicles get so big they don't release on their own.

This is probably very boring for someone else to read, but it helps me understand it better to write it down!!

Sara .
Sara .

July 13th, 2011, 10:25 pm #8

What about having a ready, stock phrase for the nurses like:

"I know, I'm back! But my RE says he really wants to closely monitor this."

Or

"I know you don't know this but people make a comment every time I come here and that gets hurtful after a while."

or

"Yip, I'm here again, miss me?"

Or

"Well, you can't be as tired of me being here as I am of coming here!"

Or

"Listen, Ladies! You get paid either way so get with the monitoring, pronto! The faster you stick it up there the faster I get on out'a here!"

or something classy like that!
(KIDDING!)

But having a phrase ready might be helpful!
Remember: they work for YOU!

Good Luck!
Sara H.

MargieD
MargieD

July 13th, 2011, 10:52 pm #9

YAY!! If that "thing" is actually a follicle with high E2 - then I'd be darn happy that Dr. Check is watching it!!!

If I was brave enough - I'd say "Miss me???" In fact, I might say it the next time I go in... LOL...

Keep us posted...

P.S. You're not boring us!