AFC went way down.....feeling really sad and confused

AFC went way down.....feeling really sad and confused

Sara
Sara

August 17th, 2012, 4:12 pm #1

Hi Ladies,

So after a BFN on the converted IVF/TI last cycle, we're going to try again with Dr. Check to do a low-stim IVF this cycle. I was feeling really good and positive this morning about it after taking a mini-vacation last week.

But then I went in for blood and ultrasound this morning and my AFC is the lowest it's ever been - by a long shot. It's usually between 6-10 and today it was 4. (And that may have been a stretch as she had to really try to see any follies on the left side.)

I didn't react at the time, but I'm now feeling really devastated. After our CCRM failure last October we tried so hard to make sure that other things (i.e. immunology, endo, spetum) were checked out and taken care of. But now I think that maybe we waited too long? Or that even though the lap didn't go inside my ovaries it may have damaged them?

What could cause such a drastic drop in AFC? Last month it was 7. I know some women have big drops month to month, but I never do. Estinyl shouldn't cause this, could it? Should I move forward with the low-stim IVF or cancel?

Is this the beginning of the end? Should I start preparing myself for menopause and DE? I turned 34 in May. I really thought I could do OE (maybe because every RE I saw said it would be fine), but it's starting to look like it's not a possibility.

In pain and scared,
Sara Q

August 17th, 2012, 4:59 pm #2

Sorry you are feeling sad and stressed. My RE told me the AFC can vary up or down quite a bit each month. It is nothing you did, just the number of follicles at the time of the count. If you test again next month it could be back to 7.

Nancy
Nancy

August 17th, 2012, 6:50 pm #3

Hi Ladies,

So after a BFN on the converted IVF/TI last cycle, we're going to try again with Dr. Check to do a low-stim IVF this cycle. I was feeling really good and positive this morning about it after taking a mini-vacation last week.

But then I went in for blood and ultrasound this morning and my AFC is the lowest it's ever been - by a long shot. It's usually between 6-10 and today it was 4. (And that may have been a stretch as she had to really try to see any follies on the left side.)

I didn't react at the time, but I'm now feeling really devastated. After our CCRM failure last October we tried so hard to make sure that other things (i.e. immunology, endo, spetum) were checked out and taken care of. But now I think that maybe we waited too long? Or that even though the lap didn't go inside my ovaries it may have damaged them?

What could cause such a drastic drop in AFC? Last month it was 7. I know some women have big drops month to month, but I never do. Estinyl shouldn't cause this, could it? Should I move forward with the low-stim IVF or cancel?

Is this the beginning of the end? Should I start preparing myself for menopause and DE? I turned 34 in May. I really thought I could do OE (maybe because every RE I saw said it would be fine), but it's starting to look like it's not a possibility.

In pain and scared,
Sara Q
While I think the ethinyl can have an effect, your AFC can definitely vary. The first time I had it done it was around 9. Very next time it was only 2. For me it's usually around 5-7 but sometimes it has dropped again to 2 or 3. The first time I took ethinyl my baseline showed 7 then next one was only 2 and then it was 5 or 6. So even in one cycle the numbers can change. So others do pop up!

Sorry about your bfn...i hope this cycle is the one!!

Nancy

Sara Q
Sara Q

August 17th, 2012, 9:06 pm #4

It really does help to see what other ladies' experiences with Chec.k, estinyl, and AFC are....I hope that this is the cycle too! But somehow I kind of doubt it....my FSH just came back at 12.1. That's really high for me....sad. So I don't know if they'll cancel me outright or try to lower it with estinyl over the next few days. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience in this? I've taken estinyl for only 4 days, since Monday.

I think the lap may have caused my FSH to rise. I don't know what else it could be, unless it's just slowly getting worse over time.

Ugh. Not a good start to the cycle/weekend. Don't know if I have the strength to keep doing this much longer.

Also, did you still want me to email you those articles? I'll see if I can find them and scan them this weekend.

Take good care,
Sara

Nancy
Nancy

August 17th, 2012, 10:55 pm #5

They won't cancel your cycle with an FSH of 12.1; based on my experience, what they will probably do is have you keep taking the ethinyl and have you wait a few days and go back in to see what happened (at least that's what happened when my FSH was higher at baseline, and also no injections during that time, not until after my 2nd "baseline" so to speak!). Also, if you keep taking the EE, dont expect too much too happen (except keep your FSH lower).

For IVF #1, my starting FSH was around 12 or 13 (can't remember but it was somewhere around there). They had me keep taking EE to keep my FSH down, but I got WAY oversupressed-by the time I started injections, not even the injections would make my follicles grow (it was VERY traumatic and I remember the OOT nurses shaking their heads like OMG you need to increase your dose!) I then opted to take EE every other day and then things started to happen but I only got one, sad egg that was an empty follicle. (not saying ths will happen to you becuase this it not commmon at all, as I seem to have this issue with empty follicle regardless).

For IVF #2, I took EE to supress in the prior cycle and my FSH was 9.5 at baseline, and even still they had me wait to start injections and told me to keep taking EE (but that time I said NO WAY). As you mentioned in your other post, if you keep taking the EE while doing the stims, you will probably only end up recruting one follicle. I suppose you could opt to keep taking the EE, and then stop it once your FSH goes down if you want to try to recruit more?

I am totally ditto with you on not having the strength to keep on doing this. My timeline was to stop at 40 and it's only 4 months away. I wanted to do IVF this month, but I have a humoungous (how on earth do you spell that?!) hemorraghic cyst and have to wait. I hope it goes away soon...if not, I have to keep waiting and TICK TICK.

I'd still love to see those articles, only when you get a chance I know it cna be PITA to scan so don't stress about it my email is l u c y _ o p @ y m a i l . c o m

Hang in there...I am sorry your baseline didn't go as you had hoped, I feel your pain I really do. I hope you end up having a super awesome weekend regardless

xxooxx
Nancy

August 19th, 2012, 2:31 am #6

Hi Ladies,

In pain and scared,
Sara Q
I was on the estinyl patch and it got my FSH down to a very nice 4.5 before they started me on stims, but it did not help me much, since I only had 2 follies, and 1 egg at retrieval. I'm in my 2 w/w, so that 1 emby could still be working. Still, so far my original RE has been proved right, that all these stims would do jack for me, since I had 2 follies when I did my one IUI with her.

Maybe next time I'll try an Antagon instead of microdose Lupron, maybe it suppressed me too much. But if I have such a low AFC again, I am going to cancel.

lucy999
lucy999

August 19th, 2012, 5:34 pm #7

Hi Ladies,

In pain and scared,
Sara Q
i used to be 9-15 eggs in one ovary. Now, I barely get 2-4 follicles.

Nasrin
Nasrin

August 20th, 2012, 1:39 am #8

Wait, so if the Estinyl lowers your FSH, but also lowers your AFC, how is that doing anything worthwhile? Is it that the remaining follies are supposed to grow better, or be better quality?

August 20th, 2012, 9:00 pm #9

FSH, it allows you recruit better quality embryos. Personally, a nurse had advised me that it was better for over 40 women. I wish i had listened. i stopped taking it and I usually let me FSH come down slowly and start stimms like day 6 or so. hope this helps.

Sara Q
Sara Q

August 20th, 2012, 11:06 pm #10

Hi Lucy & Nasrin,

Dr. C has me taking it primarily because usually when I take stims, I stim REALLY REALLY fast (like 5 to 9 days fast), which apparently isn't good for egg quality. And it did work for that purpose (regardless of the crappy things it also seems to have done.) I ovulated on day 14 last month for the first time in a long time - I have been ovulating anywhere from day 9 to day 12.

Do you two ovulate early? That may be another reason they gave it to you if so.

Take care,
S