30 vials for Dr. Braverman... what??

30 vials for Dr. Braverman... what??

Hadas
Hadas

June 20th, 2012, 9:15 pm #1

Hi everyone,
I forgot if anyone here has ever done a consult with Dr. Braverman, but we did this past Friday (re. possible immune issues).

It was really, really interesting and I actually felt like we were on an episode of House. I won't go into all of the details because there are too many, but anyway, the lab they work with in Boston called today to say that they received the bloodwork order. Normally, they send a local phlebotomist to the patients' house, but because they'll need to draw 30 VIALS from me, they prefer that I go to a local lab, etc, etc.

30 VIALS! This sounds like a lot to me. Is it or am I just overreacting? I've never donated blood. I'm on the petite size and always heard that there was a weight minimum for donating blood and I'm right around the weight that I've heard (though I don't know if it's true) and I'm terrified that 30 vials is way too much and that I'll faint.

Has anyone does this? How bad is it?

Thanks for your help,
Hadas

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 9:49 pm #2

Hi! I saw your post the other day about Dr. B and meant to chime in, but my time online is limited these days and I mostly log in through my phone so its hard to typeI was going to tell you about how the insurance part works, which I assume you know already

At any rate, yes, they DO take that many vials. In fact, for my b/w it was about 70 (we counted each one too! but I think it was because I didnt use their kit for everything, I went to a local lab for some of it so their tubes were smaller)! Its not that bad, I dont know how you do with b/w in general, I am the type of person that likes to watch the whole time, I find it fascinating. But, if you dont like getting your blood drawn I can see why it might be difficult. I ended up doing it in multiple sessions, but it was because I had an insurance issue. The lab techs assured me that the amount drawn is LESS than if you donate blood, so you shouldnt have any issues.

Be warned, however, that Dr. B is booked out far (7-8 weeks) for the follow-up. I would call ASAP and get in the schedule. I fibbed a little about when I had my blood drawn (well not really, I just didnt mention I had to have it drawn 2 other times afterwards) because they wont book you until you get your blood drawn. I am pretty upset about this, because waiting will mean sitting out 2-3 cycles for us, which is what we have to do now and I feel like we have no time since I turn 40 in a few months. I dont know what he told you on the phone, he assured me Id have my results in time to start THIS cycle, but when I called hes booked out so far that well miss at least 2, if not 3 so it didnt matter if the results were readyon the positive side, I think its good to know if you have immune issues, especially for anyone who is thinking about DE or DEmbryo. I don't mean to be a downer, I just wanted to warn you so didn't have these expectations of getting in right away and then being let down.

Good luck with the b/w, Id like to hear how it goes for you. I am sure you will do just fine!

Xxooxx
Nancy

Sara Q
Sara Q

June 20th, 2012, 10:00 pm #3

Sorry for the barge. I am thinking about setting up a consult with Braver.man as well b/c I've heard he's the only one that will use Neupogen. But I have already had MOST of the immune tests done through the Alan Bee.r Center. Do I still have to re-do all the tests? Wait so long to set up an appointment? I know for a fact that both centers usually send their patient's blood to the same lab in Chicago to be analyzed.......

I feel your pain about waiting. I basically have 3 more cycles before my endo comes back....and definitely don't want to wait that long.

Hugs,
SQ

Hadas
Hadas

June 20th, 2012, 10:01 pm #4

Hi! I saw your post the other day about Dr. B and meant to chime in, but my time online is limited these days and I mostly log in through my phone so its hard to typeI was going to tell you about how the insurance part works, which I assume you know already

At any rate, yes, they DO take that many vials. In fact, for my b/w it was about 70 (we counted each one too! but I think it was because I didnt use their kit for everything, I went to a local lab for some of it so their tubes were smaller)! Its not that bad, I dont know how you do with b/w in general, I am the type of person that likes to watch the whole time, I find it fascinating. But, if you dont like getting your blood drawn I can see why it might be difficult. I ended up doing it in multiple sessions, but it was because I had an insurance issue. The lab techs assured me that the amount drawn is LESS than if you donate blood, so you shouldnt have any issues.

Be warned, however, that Dr. B is booked out far (7-8 weeks) for the follow-up. I would call ASAP and get in the schedule. I fibbed a little about when I had my blood drawn (well not really, I just didnt mention I had to have it drawn 2 other times afterwards) because they wont book you until you get your blood drawn. I am pretty upset about this, because waiting will mean sitting out 2-3 cycles for us, which is what we have to do now and I feel like we have no time since I turn 40 in a few months. I dont know what he told you on the phone, he assured me Id have my results in time to start THIS cycle, but when I called hes booked out so far that well miss at least 2, if not 3 so it didnt matter if the results were readyon the positive side, I think its good to know if you have immune issues, especially for anyone who is thinking about DE or DEmbryo. I don't mean to be a downer, I just wanted to warn you so didn't have these expectations of getting in right away and then being let down.

Good luck with the b/w, Id like to hear how it goes for you. I am sure you will do just fine!

Xxooxx
Nancy
Hi Nancy,
Thank you for this info... it's so helpful! In truth, we're doing this kind of to check things off the list before throwing in the towel. We have a DD through IVF, and have been trying for 2+ years again, to no avail. I'm also 39, which he said, sure, could be a factor, but when I spoke with him about lining issues, thyroid, low birth weight for DD, etc, he said those could all be immune-related things.

I was expecting a lot of blood to be drawn, but "30 vials" doesn't mean anything to me since I've never donated blood. I'm not concerned about blood being drawn at all; with IVF, we get blood drawn all the time. I am worried about fainting, though

As for what we'll do with the results, we're done with IVF, so really this is just to see if there are immune issues and if it's something that's "easy" to treat while we TTC naturally, great!

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it and wish you good luck!
Hadas

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 10:09 pm #5

Sorry for the barge. I am thinking about setting up a consult with Braver.man as well b/c I've heard he's the only one that will use Neupogen. But I have already had MOST of the immune tests done through the Alan Bee.r Center. Do I still have to re-do all the tests? Wait so long to set up an appointment? I know for a fact that both centers usually send their patient's blood to the same lab in Chicago to be analyzed.......

I feel your pain about waiting. I basically have 3 more cycles before my endo comes back....and definitely don't want to wait that long.

Hugs,
SQ
hi,
I am guessing that if you already did some b/w, he won't make you repeat it. the only one I am not sure about is the NK Assay, because he uses a specific one that he developed (but it may be that the others are also using his? Because it was sent to chicago, like you said many of those are all sent to Chicago).

i do know he's pretty booked. i think he's getting more and more patients, so he's a lot busier than he used to be? Not sure...I know it took me 4-5 weeks for my initial consult, and then another 7-8 for the followup! and on to ppof that, I had to wait days to get the kit/b/w ordered. If yu had most of it done, he might be able to give you some ideas on treatment, i don't know...you probably know about and go to the immune forum on yahoo, maybe someone there has some ideas?

i am curious to hear how quickly you get in, if indeed you see him!

hugs to you to!
Nancy

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 10:17 pm #6

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for this info... it's so helpful! In truth, we're doing this kind of to check things off the list before throwing in the towel. We have a DD through IVF, and have been trying for 2+ years again, to no avail. I'm also 39, which he said, sure, could be a factor, but when I spoke with him about lining issues, thyroid, low birth weight for DD, etc, he said those could all be immune-related things.

I was expecting a lot of blood to be drawn, but "30 vials" doesn't mean anything to me since I've never donated blood. I'm not concerned about blood being drawn at all; with IVF, we get blood drawn all the time. I am worried about fainting, though

As for what we'll do with the results, we're done with IVF, so really this is just to see if there are immune issues and if it's something that's "easy" to treat while we TTC naturally, great!

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it and wish you good luck!
Hadas
I hope, if they find something, that it's something treatable via TTC naturally! (I am secretly hoping he finds something for us that he can treat, because our only course of treatment is IVF since DH has ASA.) we all might be surprised at what he finds no? i have heard about many successes, including TTC naturally with immune treatment.

I think you should do okay with the blood draw! I didn't feel faint or anything (last year I had 25 vials drawn for something totally unrelated to IF, and I was okay then too). When I did it then, they gave me some juice, but this time (even though it was 70 vials), they said there was no need (I went to different labs each time)...so I was confused by that, but I never felt faint or anything.

I wish you much luck!

Nancy

Sara Q
Sara Q

June 20th, 2012, 10:22 pm #7

hi,
I am guessing that if you already did some b/w, he won't make you repeat it. the only one I am not sure about is the NK Assay, because he uses a specific one that he developed (but it may be that the others are also using his? Because it was sent to chicago, like you said many of those are all sent to Chicago).

i do know he's pretty booked. i think he's getting more and more patients, so he's a lot busier than he used to be? Not sure...I know it took me 4-5 weeks for my initial consult, and then another 7-8 for the followup! and on to ppof that, I had to wait days to get the kit/b/w ordered. If yu had most of it done, he might be able to give you some ideas on treatment, i don't know...you probably know about and go to the immune forum on yahoo, maybe someone there has some ideas?

i am curious to hear how quickly you get in, if indeed you see him!

hugs to you to!
Nancy

That is A LOT of waiting!!! Sheeesh....so tired of waiting.

I will definitely let you know how long it takes me to get in. I plan on calling tomorrow and being a PITA because we are under such a tight timeline because of the endo. I did send an email yesterday but no one has replied to it. I also just called but they are already closed. Darn east coast hours....

Thanks for the good info!

SQ

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 10:27 pm #8

ask about this, they might be able to get you in sooner. I don't know if they have one or not for initial consults, but I think so becasue I know someone who supposedly got on it (they never got an earlier appt, but supposedly they were on the list).

GL!
Nancy

Sara Q
Sara Q

June 20th, 2012, 10:30 pm #9

I will try to do that! Thanks!

Nancy
Nancy

June 20th, 2012, 10:55 pm #10

I was just thinking about what you said about neupogen, just FYI, you might need to find a local dr. to work with him to prescribe it because in some places he can't prescribe meds unless he has personally seen you. Just something to think about because i wasn't aware of this until the consult. I am in the process of trying to find a local doctor in case Cooper won't do it (of course, I am not sure I will need anything, but in case I do I am trying to find out NOW who WILl do it, instead of running my butt off later trying to find someone).

Nancy