Moderators: SilverLugia456, SROS Master

Sking and Winter Activities

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 6th, 2017, 9:31 pm #1

Just got back from skiing at Okemo. It was great to finally revisit this place. The conditions were great considering the terrible natural snow conditions as of late. They currently have the most open terrain in Vermont, if not all of New England.

I also got extremely lucky, by being the very first skiier of the day to do down Stump Jumper. It was hands down thee best run down this run of my life. I have never skiied down this awesome crusier trail that was 100% untouched before. Did I mention that it was a really calm and pleasent sunny day?

The only thing is that I really gotta look into my skiboots, as my right foot was hurting like hell on the way back home(thank goodness my dad was able to come with me on this trip).

Aside from that, it was probably the best Okemo trip of my life. Our run down Stump Jumper was a huge bonus.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 7th, 2017, 5:17 am #2

How is it we didn't have a skiing thread. Sounds like you had a good day. thanks for sharing.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 7th, 2017, 1:35 pm #3

Cause I haven’t been skiing as much as I usually have been throughout the past couple seasons. Plus, the only other person who talks about skiing on the new england park forums has bashed me for how Okemo has great trails. It also doesn’t help how he also tried making my opinion look dumb and invalid.

But I suppose it wouldn’t really matter now, since my run down Stump Jumper was way too awesome for me to be convinced that Okemo is boring and dull.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 7th, 2017, 2:46 pm #4

Well hopefully this thread will attract a few new posters that are similarly enthusiastic about Skiing, winter sports, and local resorts.

What other mountains have you managed to visit this season.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 7th, 2017, 4:17 pm #5

Gunstock. Grooming wasn’t that great, and I thought it wasn’t as good as people say it is. Then again, the conditions were pretty bad that day and that I was out of shape. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if it was a nicer day out.

Yeah so far I only went skiing twice a year within the past couple seasons.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 12th, 2017, 2:45 am #6

Here's a documentary of a ski resort I really want to go to for over a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTh-dDA4yY

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 15th, 2017, 7:27 pm #7

Cool Video

So how do you think this March Blizzard will affect the ski reports. I would guess it will help extend the season but any guess to how much.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 16th, 2017, 1:10 am #8

I don’t think it will extend the ski season by that much. I am guessing the snow is gonna start melting away by April.

Remember that one March when it dumped snow like crazy, and then ended up having a day where its highs were in the 90s.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 16th, 2017, 5:06 am #9

Very true, this is New England weather we're talking about

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 17th, 2017, 12:05 am #10

Stowe received a total 50 inches of new snow since that big storm. That's over 4 feet!

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 31st, 2017, 4:34 pm #11

Stowe is the only New England resort on this list.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Ujxikp4QbI

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

April 1st, 2017, 3:31 am #12

Interesting. Not sure what they re basing this on. I saw no reference to a list by a travel site of magazine.

Cant say I'm surprised though. I mean how many of the NE Ski areas are really considered resorts. Mot of them are simply ski areas with a base and summit lodge and maybe some nearby condos.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 17th, 2017, 3:41 pm #13

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 31st, 2017, 1:51 am #14

One thing I forgot to mention about Okemo, is that they have the best snowmaking and grooming system in New England, if not the Eastern US.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 3rd, 2017, 9:22 pm #15

Heading into summer and the technical off season I'm sure we can keep this Thread active with info about What is available at the resorts.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 4th, 2017, 3:54 am #16

Eyup, all the ski areas are done for the ski season. The last ski resort in new england to be done for the season is Killington(big suprise). And the final day was on the first of June.

Some ski areas stay open for the summer season with their summer and fall activities, such as alpine slides and coasters, mountainbiking trails, ziplines and more. Gunstock is the closest ski area to Boston to have some pretty awesome summer activities, including their truly one of a kind zipline tour.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 4th, 2017, 1:27 pm #17

Jun is still very impressive for a ski season.

I have camped at Gunstock many times. Though this was long before their zip lines and water coasters existed.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 4th, 2017, 9:17 pm #18

Yes it is. But thing is Killington is always the first to open, and last to close. They usually open somewhere around late october. The earliest they even opened was on late September(now that is impressive even for Killington). Unfortunately because its so early and late in the season, only one trail would be open. In the fall, only North Ridge triple is open for skiing. You have to take the Gondola and then walk down the hiking ramp to get to the top of North Ridge(it doesn’t go all the way to the bottom). Now for the case of late ski season for Killington, only the main line on Superstar liftline has snow. You literally have to walk on bare ground to get to the lift, and eventually the trail.

Heres a video of what I am exactly talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPYGDJTwf2I

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 5th, 2017, 3:57 am #19

ok, that's a bit funny to look at. Reminds me of one trip to Disney ad they were doing this winter fest. They made snow and pilled it up in a 30X30 area at downtown Disney but everything else was all green.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 6th, 2017, 2:52 pm #20

Yeah, I think the only reason Killington opens that early and that late is not just because its the biggest. But to also cater to all the die harded fans.

I cetainly dont think its worth having to walk down this just to get to one short ski trail, and then having to hike back up to get to the Gondola to get to the base lodge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUsgDWQmzk

Heres a cool video about Loons Gondola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PocX9Q3Cww