Moderators: SilverLugia456, SROS Master

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

July 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm #161

Isn't that ski lift similar to what Brenton Woods is getting?

SROS Master
Blue Whale

July 26th, 2018, 3:38 pm #162

Yeah, kinda. Except it will be a gondola, as suppose to a bubble chairlift.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

July 26th, 2018, 3:44 pm #163

ok, I have seen a lift like this before in a video about a disastrous suspended caster that was built in Europe. the Ski lift manufacturer was one of the sub contractors. 

SROS Master
Blue Whale

July 30th, 2018, 5:34 pm #164

After visiting Bretton Woods yesturday to try out their scenice chairlift, lunch, and hike one more time before the gondola conversion, I now know more about where the gondola is exactly going. 

It looks like not only will the old high speed quad be going, but a couple other old ski lifts as well.  It looks like the bottom ternimal takes up space for the old double chair, so the double is getting the boot.  Also the top of the new gondola will not be at where latitude 44 currently is, but it will actually be on top of one of their old triple chairs, that was for a long time their second highest ski lift.

If that's where the new restaurant is going, than  BOY what a location that is! It will be twice as scenic as the current location!  I really can NOT wait for this project to be completed!

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

July 31st, 2018, 1:24 am #165

Wow, thanks for the update. I agree a restaurant at the top of the mountain should have amazing views.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

August 26th, 2018, 5:56 am #166

And now for something a bit more unique.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

August 26th, 2018, 6:27 am #167

So where exactly is that? area looks pretty but I just hope someone new he was out there. I saw another set of tracks maybe his climb up but I would think that is pretty dangerous even for an experienced skier.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

August 26th, 2018, 6:31 am #168

It is located just north of Wildcat ski area. It is also where Carter Notch AMC hut is located.  This is what you call backcountry skiing. There are plenty other skiing options like this in the Presidentials. Goes to show some skiiers and outdoorsmen really go above and beyond in extremity.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 11th, 2018, 4:43 am #169

New Snowdon 6-Person Bubble Chairlift
A new 6-person high-speed bubble chairlift will be installed ahead of next season. The new Snowdon chair, manufactured by Leitner-Poma, features a bubble shield that will protect skiers and riders from wind and weather as they ascend 1,100 vertical feet to the Snowdon Mountain peak, which features primarily intermediate cruising terrain. There also will be a storage facility built to house chairs from inclement weather to assist when weather impedes operations. 
South Ridge Quad Installed
The highly anticipated return of lift service in the South Ridge area will occur with the relocation of the refurbished, Snowdon Quad chairlift. The South Ridge Quad will load and unload in the same locations as the old South Ridge Triple and will have a length of 3,900 feet and a vertical rise of approximately 875 feet. The South Ridge Quad will provide easier access to trails such as Pipe Dream and an additional way to connect back to the north side of the resort from Bear Mountain.
New and Improved K-1 Express Gondola
Killington has invested in numerous upgrades to the K-1 Gondola in the past few years. Ahead of next season, all cabins will be replaced with brand-new Leitner-Poma Sigma 8-person cabins which will be stored in a new cabin storage facility to improve reliability and de-icing time. The haul rope will also be replaced and improvements to the loading area are also planned. This lift will continue to run on electricity generated by BioGas, through a program commonly known as Cow Poweras part of our commitment to POWDR’s Play Forever using renewable energy.
Looks like not only is the old Snowdon Quad finally getting replaced with a better lift, but that lift will also be a 6 pack bubble lift.  Also the old abandoned South Ridge Triple will finally be replaced with the former Snowdon Quad.  While slightly bummed the unique triple will never return, I am also happy to hear they are constantly making improvements with their lift capacity.

https://www.killington.com/media-room/p ... son=winter

Its also nice to hear the K1 Gondola is getting brand new gondola cabins. The lift itself will remain the same, aside from a few technical changes to make the lift more reliable.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

September 11th, 2018, 5:17 am #170

I kind of like the idea of upping a lift from 3 to 4. I see it as a couple of 2 or a family of 4. if you have a 3 seater and a family of 4 they are forced to split up which mean one person gets left behind. but most likely you get stuck sending up 2 benches of 2 instead of 3. now all 4 can go and use only 1 bench.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 11th, 2018, 4:18 pm #171

But what if you had a family of 5? 

The only thing about the old triple was that it had one very unique part. For some reason, they felt that the triple had to go two seperate ways rather than just one straight line. There was originally gonna be an exit ramp right at this part of the lift.

But that didn't happen, so they just left it as is.  I will admit, the ride after than part was kinda boring.  The new lift will definitely make ride time alot shorter, and still pretty.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

September 11th, 2018, 8:27 pm #172

A family of 5 now a days is pretty rare.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 13th, 2018, 2:58 am #173

Time to do a visual ski trip, starting at Mount Snow.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 13th, 2018, 3:58 am #174

Now a run down this beautiful trail.

From what I remembered when I visited this place over 10 years ago, it was a pretty mountain. Some parts felt similar to Okemo, while some others for some reason reminded me of Northern Vermont.  The trails themselves were not as good, but the overall mountain was a bit more scenic.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

September 13th, 2018, 4:31 am #175

Wow, very nice view

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 13th, 2018, 5:28 am #176

Yeah the views were nice. And that was a particularly beautiful powdery day that video was filmed.

Here are a couple of lifts that weren't running when we were last there that I wanted to go on.

This one was test running, but never opened.

This was the most interesting one that wasn't running.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 13th, 2018, 3:14 pm #177

Now down this run.

And onto this peaceful lift.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 14th, 2018, 4:57 am #178

Now down this beautiful run.

And then onto this lift with beautiful views of Somerset Reservoir and Stratton if you can see well enough through the screen.

Were almost done with this ski area tour.   Just one run and one lift to go.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 14th, 2018, 11:56 pm #179

Time for a fresh quartoroy run down this beauiful trail.

And onto the last lift of the day.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

September 16th, 2018, 1:42 am #180

And now the next interactive ski area tour. Stratton.

Here's the Gondola ride from two different perspectives.