Moderators: SilverLugia456, SROS Master

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

April 30th, 2018, 10:40 pm #136

Interesting. don't really get why the audio is synthesized and not a real person.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 17th, 2018, 4:45 pm #137

Hes probably too camera shy.

Also get this!
wrote:okemo is so flat and no hard trails there how is that number 1 same with stratton jeesus
And I thought Canobie#1 had a negative opinion about Okemo. He even thinks Strattton is boring, and dull?! Whatever though.

Now, a ride on the highest ski lift at NHs most popular ski area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3dwc3ls2KQ

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 18th, 2018, 3:02 pm #138

The Whistler Blackcomb trip report has been updated with the addition of ski lift videos.

http://s6.zetaboards.com/New_Whalom_Par ... 455/1/#new

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 31st, 2018, 6:59 pm #139

Some news out of loon Mountain resort

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 31st, 2018, 9:09 pm #140

Thats great news! Now if Loon can up their lift capacity.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 3rd, 2018, 5:00 am #141

I'm sure that will come in time.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 4th, 2018, 12:34 am #142

Yeah to be honest, its the one thing that's keeping me from rating Loon as high as everyone else. I get its conveniently located, and I get it has great trails and great variety. But current lift capacity bothers me. There are long lines for every single lift, even the smaller ones. I even say Whistler can have shorter lines than Loon.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 4th, 2018, 4:30 am #143

I would imagine if enough people commented about it they would look into it. but they may not be getting the complaints so they invest their money in other things like the new vacation suits and the and other improvements.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 5th, 2018, 2:01 am #144

mrceagle wrote:I would imagine if enough people commented about it they would look into it. but they may not be getting the complaints so they invest their money in other things like the new vacation suits and the and other improvements.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 7th, 2018, 2:39 am #145

I have to do some digging I saw a news report about a NH ski report being sold I want to say it was Stow. There were a few others in the deal I think they were CNL properties and they were bought out by a company that I think just does ski reports.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 10th, 2018, 9:31 pm #146

Visited Loon mountain today. We did the gondola and lunch package for about 20 bucks per person. Not a bad deal. Beauiful day, so there were some good amount of people here today.

The scenic lift ride was definitely better than Bretton Woods, but I have to say that Bretton Woods had the better lunch and hiking options. That isnt to say the food or summit options werent good. The food quality was not quite as good nor was the view. But again, that isnt to say the view wasnt good. I did get to check out the glacier caves since it was open today. Unlike Polar caves where you would walk up to the caves, you walk down a series of wooden stairs to the cave system entrance.

Becuase they dont bother to show a map of the cave system for some reason, I will describe the system. The system entrance is on the wooden pathway, and its both entreance and exit(or start/finish of a loop). The loop seems to only take 3-5 minutes depending how long it takes you to get up and down those stairs. This loop alone is worth your time while your up here. Part of this loop reminds me of Guyot campsite because of the wooden platforms and one view that looks somewhat similar to what you find at that campsite. If you start the loop counter clockwise, you will start at cave 1. I made it through caves 1 and 2. Cave 2 I thought was the coolest. Did not attempt cave 3, but I did do cave 4. I attempted cave 5, but there was one ridiculously tight squeeze that bailed me out. It looked even tighter than that lemon squeeze at the polar caves that I did not at all attempt. The rest of the caves I didn't attempt, but I was able to look at certain parts for the 10th and final cave to get an idea what the whole thing is like.

So the caves themselves arnt nearly as impressive as polar caves, but the natural scenery I thought was better.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 13th, 2018, 3:57 pm #147

Can't remember if I have done glacier caves or not. O know I have done Polor Caves and Lost River.

The lift and dinner combo sound like a nice deal. What sort of food was offered for that?

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 14th, 2018, 11:02 pm #148

Mostly sandwiches. I had some korean BBQ sandwich, but there was no BBQ in there. My dad had the BBQ pork sandwich, and having one sample of that I should have gone for that. Latitude 44 resturant at Bretton Woods I thought had the better food, though it isnt a whole lot better but the view alone is worth that trip. Plus it also has a very nice hiking trail.

Out of curiosity, how do you compare Lost River Gorge to Polar Caves?

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 15th, 2018, 3:24 am #149

Been a while But I remember Polar caves being a bit more structured. its the set of caves the pond in the front and Most of the structures were simple. Some of the structures were nice an its always fun to touch the ice.

Lost River has a lot more water. on top of the caves there are these gorgeous small waterfalls. Its just a prettier attraction. There are also a lot of other paths you can hike that are easy for a mixed group but still fun. there are more caves here and some are very similar like the Lemon Squeeze instead of the Lemon Crush

Thing is a lot of aspects of these attraction are similar or feel similar even the Flume and other local attraction are worth while but can seem repetitive if you do them all at once.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 25th, 2018, 3:41 pm #150

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 26th, 2018, 6:28 pm #151

Interesting, normally The lifts are about the capacity. never seen a 1 seat before.

I have heard about this place since Whalom is operating as a COOP we talked with people there about their coop.

It will be interesting to see if they can get the National registry. I doubt they can get the whole ski resort listed. It's likely they can get the Single chair lift listed

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 27th, 2018, 3:15 am #152

I have heard about this place because one of my friends grew up skiing there, and got curious what it exactly is. At first it didnt look anything special, but the fact that they still have a single chair really got me interested in going.

I have skied there once 6 years ago, and it is the ski equivalent to Knoebels. They really arnt kidding when they say ski it if you can, considering it has some of the most challenging ski trails east of the Rocky Mountains. There are some trails that are groomed, espcially the easiest trail from top of Single chair. But the majority of the trains are natural snow with bumps, and some other narrowness.

It would also be nice to have the single chair run during off season for non skiers to check out.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 28th, 2018, 8:53 pm #153

That would be nice. It the price was right i'd do it just to check it out.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

July 2nd, 2018, 4:33 am #154

Time to ski down a trail in the winter, during a hot summer day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBlR6pB ... 7s&list=WL

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

July 6th, 2018, 10:44 pm #155

Nice slope. I never did get into skiing but I do love the mountains and they way they are kept up.