Moderators: SilverLugia456, SROS Master

Shopping Discussions

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

January 18th, 2017, 8:33 pm #1

This is the place to discus news and experiences Throughout New England.
Pharmacy's: Rite aid, Walgreen's, CVS, etc
Retail: Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Sears, Macy's
Convenience: 7 Eleven, Speedway (formally Hess), Circle K, Comberland Farms. One the Run, etc
Grocery Stores: Market Basket, Shaw's, Whole Foods, Stop & Shop, Wegman's, Big Y, Price Chopper, Hannaford, and more

Newsies
Sand Shark
Newsies
Sand Shark

February 8th, 2017, 3:14 am #2

Market Basket Has Plans For Rockingham Park Property
With the loss of the Rockingham Park racetrack locals have a lot of changes to anticipate. The defunct racetrack and stables consumed 170 acres of land, nearly twice the size of nearby Canobie lake Park. The plan is to build Tuscan Village a complex of retail, restaurants, housing, and hotels. The project is spearheaded by Tuscan Brands the parent company of Tuscan Kitchen and Tuscan Market. Kicking of the redevelopment is a 27 acre property purchased by Demoulas Super Markets Inc the parent company of Market Basket supermarkets. The new Market Basket would be the 3rd in the city. There is no word if the new store will lead to the closure of Store #6, 265 South Broadway, or Store 31, 167 South Broadway.

There is also talks of a new movie theater for the property.

KateWhip
Great White Shark
KateWhip
Great White Shark

February 11th, 2017, 12:31 am #3

That sounds like a big project. Hope it has a cafe. Love the fried haddock dinner there have. The 6.99 price can't be beat.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 11th, 2017, 10:27 pm #4

i stooped in at the Hannaford in Bedford NH to grab lunch. unfortunately this one doesn't have the large ready to eat food area like the one in Nashua. I grabbed a premade roast beef sub which ended up being sub par (pun not intended). Roll was good but one slide of roast beef and American cheese topped with tomato and a wilted piece of lettuce. The store was mildly busy but check out took no time with no wait.

Market basket also in Bedford, was swamped. every lane open around 20 registers and carts were still lined p 4-5 deep. It took me a hour to pick up a dozen items mostly do to the deli which was busy and a bit disorganized.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

February 12th, 2017, 12:56 am #5

Here's one thing I hate grocery stores doing. At least from my observation.

For some items you want to buy, they would be at a location your familiar with. But suddenly on a random day, they change it to a different location. Why not just keep them in the same place all the time.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 12th, 2017, 7:35 am #6

Can't say I have had that problem. Sure you have end caps and special bins but the lanes are for the most part the same. Though I do find that from store to store their locations can change.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 11th, 2017, 9:59 pm #7

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 30th, 2017, 3:23 pm #8

There are a couple big Store Sales to mention.

Amazon has made an interesting purchase. they have purchased Whole Foods markets. The Grocery stores sell organic foods and are located throughout the U.S. and the UK. The sale is currently pending but Amazon feels this move can help them grow their Amazon Fresh online food shopping concept.

A private investment firm has entered into an agreement to buy Staples. New York based Sycamore Partners will buy the Massachusetts based Stables for 6.9 billion. Staples opened its first store in Brighton, MA on May 1, 1986. It has grown to more then 1,500 stores throughout North America.

In 2o15 Staples tried to partner with Office Max but the FTC stooped the partnership stating it would create a monopoly.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

August 10th, 2017, 1:45 am #9

Sam's Club to close in Manchester NH
News story - wcvb.com//sams-club-store-in-manchester-to-close

"The store is closed Wednesday and through 12 p.m. Thursday for employee meetings. It will close for good on Aug. 18."

Sam's Club is the box store owned by Walmart which recently built a new facility down the street from the Sam's club that will be closing. The store has 130 employees that will be given 60 days paid notice. The company hopes to relocate employees to other stores.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

November 5th, 2017, 6:54 pm #10

While I was at Prudential Center earlier today, I noticed a new small food court next to Saks Fifth Avenue along with a new Asian restaurant I never heard of. Went over to the former food court to see what was up there. Turns out the entire food court was turned into a combo store and restaurant called Eataly. Very strange concept. Its set up very much like a grocery store, but there are also certain areas where you can sit down and order a meal as if you were in a restaurant. I guess you could call this a grocerant.

KateWhip
Great White Shark
KateWhip
Great White Shark

November 7th, 2017, 1:31 am #11

Interesting concept. The name sounds familiar but i don't know why.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

November 11th, 2017, 3:55 am #12

Charley's Philly Cheese is open at the mall of NH. I was also informed the chain also took over the Diangilo's in the Pheasant lane mall. They also have a new place under construction in the Mall of NH which will open in the former chines location in the back corner. The ice cream stand and wrap locations are both still unoccupied. There has to be at least a dozen store fronts empty and last I visited the Pheasant lane there was also about a dozen if not more store fronts empty.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

January 8th, 2018, 8:58 pm #13

A very interesting video about Aldi market and it's history.

https://youtu.be/bfSFLyJqXfs

Newsies
Sand Shark
Newsies
Sand Shark

January 25th, 2018, 12:46 am #14

Toy's R Us to Close 182 Locations
Fallowing a bankruptcy filing Toy's R Us has opted to close a number of location around the US. 182 locations Nation wide will close most of those location are Babie's R Us locations but a fair number of Toy's R us locations are on the list.

you can see and discuss the local impact here
http://s6.zetaboards.com/New_Whalom_Park/topic/10028878

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

January 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm #15

That is disappointing but not surprising. I can see how the Babie's R us locations are driving them down. severely overpriced items can can get almost anywhere.

but they are not all that is closing.

KateWhip
Great White Shark
KateWhip
Great White Shark

February 3rd, 2018, 8:27 pm #16

It's hard to think of a world without Toys-R-Us but then We have lost many toy stores over the years. FAO is virtually gone, KB toy Stores are gone, and who here remembers Child World.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 5th, 2018, 3:27 am #17

The FAO in NY and I think Vegas are the only 2 left and they were bought fallowing the bankruptcy. KB seems to be another one of those mall victims as they got more expensive the larger store fronts used for KB just wern't cot effective.

I miss child world. I got many of my toys there when I was little at the Nashua location. Boy Big Wheels were fun.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

April 1st, 2018, 9:19 pm #18

Got a chance to visit Cambridgeside Galleria. This mall has been renovated since my last visit. More white and less stuff to see. I even remembered there use to be a cool neon sign on that wall as your on the glass elevator on the parking garage levels. The food court now looks boring and dull with the fancier and more up to date architecture. I miss those neon lights. At least there is this cool light sculpture hanging on the second floor overlooking part of the food court.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

April 2nd, 2018, 2:51 am #19

I have to agree that modern architecture is a bit boring. I get the appeal of clean lines but the white neutral tones are not all that appealing.