Moderator: SROS Master

Public transporation

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 3rd, 2018, 6:08 am #1

Here is where you can discuss about public transportation. Whether its trains, planes, or buses(though I perfur talking about trains).

United airlines decided to pull a dirty trick on everyone returning to the northeast corridor(including myself). Instead of canceling the flight and rebooking us for tomorrow, they decided to wait til Monday(without even giving any free hotel room deals). So we have no choice but to ride this out.

Do you think this is the end of United airlines?

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 3rd, 2018, 2:47 pm #2

Well it turns out United just gave us a last minute deal this morning, and our flight will not be delayed for 3 days after all.

I dont know why United likes to lie to their customers.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 4th, 2018, 4:02 am #3

United has one of the worse reputations when it comes to airlines.

I was wondering how the airline were rated and found a list on MSN
Allegiant
Spirit
United
American
Hawaiian
Virgin America
Jet Blue
Alaska
Delta
Southwest

New England has 4 major airports and a handful of Smaller airports with only a few airlines. airports.
the 4 biggest are:
Logan International (Boston, MA) - 49 Airlines
Bradley Intermational (Windser Locks CT) - 13 airlines
T.F. Green (Warwick, RI) - 14 Airlines
Manchester Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, NH) - 4 Airlines

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 6th, 2018, 1:28 am #4

While we were stuck in the Chicago area for a full day, we decided to take a fun train ride to the Musiem of Science and Industry. The speed of teh subway ride I felt was inconsisent. At times it would go as slow as a turtle, but other times it would go lightning quick. The system sure is nicer than Bostons, but Boston had the better stations and better sounding trains(along with a nicer sounder auto announcer). It was also interesting that it would skip a few stops at certain times when a flashing light is on. That is something Boston should considering doing to improve capacity during rush hour.

We also took a short commuter rail ride to get to the nearest station to the Museum. I have been in that Museum once before, but not since I was a kid. Some things I remember seeing, and some other things I don’t recall. Some other stuff I knew wern't there before and some other stuff I remembered seeing before but are no longer there. We also went through some sections I don’t recall going through before(this is a big museum).

Now if only the Bingham fountain was running we would have stayed at Downtown Chicago a little longer.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 6th, 2018, 4:33 am #5

probably a bit too cold for a fountain to be running.

I have only ridden on 3 subway systems. Boston, Manhattan, and DC. DC was far superior but i agree the old school artsy stations in Boston are very cool. Manhattan also had some nice stations but it was strange heading out of the city into Brooklyn and converting to an elevated rail. Boston I haven't used since the 90's and the system was having electrical issues that day. Train would slow, lights would dim, it was like a bad horror movie.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 9th, 2018, 7:47 pm #6

Yeah I use to ride the Boston subway alot when I was a kid. Just for fun. And then explore certain parts of downtown Boston. The stretch on the Red Line from Alewife to Harvard use to spook me as a kid. Because that was the one section where something always went wrong. Like with the auto announcer announcing the wrong station. Or when the train would have lights go out.

NYC has hands down the best Subway and Commuter Rail system in North America. Metro North/Long Island Railroad certainly is the best commuter rail system I have ridden, but the subway trains can be a mix. Some are nicer than others, but others are not as nice. The PATH subway that goes into Newark from Manhatten is also very nice. Certainly the nicest subway ride in the NYC area. The World Trade Center subway station is hands down the nicest I have ever seen. Fulton Streets subway station is also nice(though can be difficult to navigate if your trying to switch to another line).

DC's is nice. The problem is the acceleration and deceleration is wildly inconsistent. I also dont feel the subway is really that necessary for DC. But I guess it is legit for them as long as they keep their kiosks as confusing and complex as possible to grab money out of your pocket.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 9th, 2018, 10:03 pm #7

I don;t recall having any issues getting around DC. We stayed at a KOA in Maryland and took the train in to the city. then took the subway to get to attractions further out like The national Zoo and Arlington cemetery. if your goal is to just do the main museums then the subway is a bit pointless for you and if your looking to see the Air and Space hanger they operate a shuttle bus.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 10th, 2018, 10:49 pm #8

True. We really only did the museums when we revisited there via car. I am not familiar with the national Zoo. I wonder if the presidents hair is now one of the featured exhibits.

Also there is a private owned rain company that recently opened their brand new train system called Brightline. https://gobrightline.com/

Here is the most interesting thing about this project that makes me feel more optimistic about the future of Americas rail system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jlp4OL ... WL&index=9

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 15th, 2018, 3:23 am #9

That bike rack on the train is really cool and really like the

I like the idea of developing housing and commercial around the stations.

Now the fairs are my issue. now they seem comparable if I remember right to the Boston express buss line. now it's good if your single and traveling alone but one you add a second person it costs you more.Now if they can do solid developments they should be able to supplement the income for the developments to keep fairs low.

He questions a Cafe car. but I could see them Six Flagging this and renting out the cafe car to Dunkn or Star bucks.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 19th, 2018, 9:36 pm #10

^They are still experimenting what the right price level will be.

Also a warning to anyone considering using American Airlines. I don’t ever recall using American Airlines ever, and thanks to this video I am glad I didn’t, and possibly never will use this airline in my life.

Caution! Some legit swearing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ldyBd0CaA

SROS Master
Blue Whale

April 10th, 2018, 7:28 pm #11

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

April 11th, 2018, 4:45 am #12

That's quite the project.

interesting that your previous post is about American airlines. The news today was talking about American airlines signing on to be the second major Airline to fly out of the air port in Worcester ma.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

April 13th, 2018, 2:46 am #13

Caution. This video made include some swearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtVy1oA ... dex=1&t=0s

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

April 14th, 2018, 3:29 am #14

wow, that's quite the experience. stinks he had that many issues. While I don't recall hearing any issues liek that on train in the US. separation of class is the basis of air travel.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

April 14th, 2018, 4:29 pm #15

I do agree with the guy that economy should have better treatment. You pay for what seat/sleeping option you pick, not for how you get treated. I can understand certain aspects to why they wont let economy class walk though the train, but there should be certain exceptions. Not just for dinner reservations.