Malls Past, Present, and Future

Here you will find discussions on a range of different topics that don't fit in other areas. Have fun!

Moderator: SROS Master

Malls Past, Present, and Future

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 20th, 2017, 1:22 am #1

Whether you see yourself as a Mallrat or just an occasional shopper this is the place to discuss local malls. Talk about their history, your experiences, w hats going on and the future of malls as we know the.

Kicking off this topic,
An episode of the deal mall series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaj_ew ... =3&list=WL

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 26th, 2017, 7:10 pm #2

If you really are into movies, and shopping malls from the 80s, you must see this especially starting at 10:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIx_YM5 ... WL&index=3

I even found this video of one of the fountains still running in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyQyaB ... w&index=28

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 27th, 2017, 5:55 am #3

Interesting. I have never seen that movie but the mall looked interesting. There was a Mall in Augusta GA that was very much like that. it had lost all its archer stores and was mostly empty.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 4th, 2017, 10:48 pm #4

I know this is food related but I was at the Mall of NH today for lunch. Boy is this food court looking horrible. Diangilo's is now closed and the pizza place had been gone for a while. One of the 3 chiness options is gone and now so is the pita sandiwtch location. The icea cream place is gone but thankfully DQ is still there. Literally, the entire food court offering is Arby's, Dunkns, The 2 Chinese stalls, and the pretzel stand. every other spot is walled off which makes the food court, which was already fairly loud. very loud.

On a positive note Bath and Body Works is moving to a bigger store space across from where they currently operate.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 5th, 2017, 12:39 am #5

Thats bad news for the mall. A real shame these malls are either decaying, or modernized to the point where the mall no longer has its unique character. Cough cough, Burlington Mall.

I also noticed some time ago, the Copley Place completely got rid of their fountain. Leaving Natick as the only New England mall left to have a fountain. Extremely sad considering it was one of the two coolest mall fountains in New England, along with the former Burlington Mall fountain collection.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 6th, 2017, 3:39 am #6

That is depressing news. I find malls a bit boring now a days. even the rehabbed ones feel a bit stale. it's the same stores and most of them are overpriced. i miss the old days of Fountains. lights, plants, and if you were really lucky a small arcade.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 10th, 2017, 2:30 am #7

Yeah I would kill to go back in time when shopping malls were king. Mainly somewhere in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Thankfully there are still some malls left that either have a very cool architecure and/or have a truly state of the art fountain, like Aventura Mall and Eaton Centre.

West Edmonton mall for a long time had this really cool food court. Never actually been there, but seen pictures. Unfortunatly though, they modernized it and its no longer anything special. Heres a video dedicated to this food court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBZa1d ... CzI-HaPzKw

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 11th, 2017, 3:04 am #8

The Fountain was neat but I can see why they took it out. the solid walls made the area very loud. While the rehab looks a bit odd with way too much granite. I to like that planter at the very end.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

May 11th, 2017, 4:00 am #9

Someone should build an exact replica of this atrium.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 12th, 2017, 2:05 am #10

I have on occasion gotten a visitor pass to Costco and grabbed lunch. the pizza is also pretty good.

Fun Video got a laugh.

More Mall of NH news. Victoria Secret is walled off. The Store is getting a overhaul. In the meantime they have set up a limited selection store in what used to be Hallmark.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

May 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm #11

I was at the Mall of NH yesterday and the food court opened u p a new option. They now have a Sbarro pizza in the same corner that had a pizza place before. I didn't have time to walk the mall only stoped in for lunch at Arby's

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 8th, 2017, 2:50 am #12

I rarely shop at the pheasant lane mall but I was there yesterday. Food cart is a mess. 5 of the food options are shut down including the BK. They do had a sign up on of of them that a Sbarro is coming soon. Seating is also a mess. tight tables and people crowed around the front of it since that's close to Chick-Fill-a and 3 of the opened options. Seating was so bad my friend and I gave up and ended up eating at Buffalo wild Wings which took over the location that formally houses Joe's American Grill.

The mall itself has a number of closed store fronts, though I didn't take a count it was enough to be noticeable. There were also dozens of buckets and wet floor signs seems they have a major water problem.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

June 9th, 2017, 12:46 am #13

Wow that’s sad to hear. I use to go to that foodcourt a lot more often when I was a kid, and it felt alot more alive back then especially when they had the arcade room. Now its just boring and dull.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 9th, 2017, 6:56 pm #14

I miss the arcade though it is convenient having the restrooms there now.

Hopefully they can get them filed quickly. I mean the main reason I go is for chick-Fill-a but i still ant other options. Another change I forgot to mention is the Chines place is now a China City. I tried a small piece of Orange Chicken I thought it was a bit dry and tasteless. So not as good s the old option and no were near as good as Panda Express which was there in the early 2000's

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

June 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm #15

At the mall of NH. Not much going on in the mall itself but the food court has a sign up for a new. Food option. Charley's Philly Cheese will take over the location formally occupied by Diangilos.

I'm a little confused by this. Its a sub shop with a very limited selection. Diangilos is one of the big players in the region and they left. They are also directly competing with Arby's which offers a lot of the same food.

I'll give it a try but I have a feeling that I will stick to other options.