Moderators: SilverLugia456, SROS Master

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

January 15th, 2018, 12:27 am #61

I might try that but need a wardrobe and boot upgrade before taking on such a trek. Cheap sneakers are ok for a short hike but not for a winter hike.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

January 19th, 2018, 5:11 am #62

It only takes an hour for the average hiker to get to Lonesome Lake from the nearest trailhead. Theres also the Lonesome Lake hut, which is open all the year round. It has food and drinks for a very small price. You can even spend a night at one of the bunkhouses they have.

This is an interesting read.

https://www.northeasthikes.com/pemi-loop-death-march/

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

January 22nd, 2018, 2:44 pm #63

Sounds like a nice hike. at an hour I would simply do a day hike and bring my own food. but its good to know there is a small camp. I could bring better food and use the fire pit.

good link very nice views

SROS Master
Blue Whale

February 2nd, 2018, 3:43 am #64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3HHCEoxhN0

I wonder if enough people hike this trail in the winter.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 2nd, 2018, 2:13 pm #65

That is a good question. Though I think an icy lake would be a bit less spectacular then what you see in the video.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

February 3rd, 2018, 10:31 pm #66

Wile hiking at Beaver Brook today, I was a little suprised how thick the ice sheets were. The parking lot was icy and wasn’t even salted. I definitely would say to bring microspikes if your gonna hike anywhere right now, until we get another snowstorm.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 5th, 2018, 12:44 am #67

We had that melt and then a freeze. we then got Rain in the lat storm which also froze. My yard which isn't too far away from where you hiked is the same way.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

February 6th, 2018, 4:50 am #68

I know this is slightly bending the rules, but it is outdoor recreational related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKA7qGb ... =2&list=WL

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 7th, 2018, 4:11 am #69

Nice find. I like the old bridges that still show signs of its previous use as a train bridge.

I have never walked a rail trail but I used to bike the rail trail in Lexington. it's known as the Minuteman Bikway and was located close to Hanscom where I grew up.
http://minutemanbikeway.org/home/about/

I biked close to 75% of it.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

February 8th, 2018, 8:04 pm #70

Yeah I may try it out one day. The only rural NH rail trail I have done was the one that goes through Mason NH. Infact just south of the state boarder is an actual abandoned railroad. I biked down that once just to see where it lead. It ends at a trailhead somewhere in Townsend.

I use to bike Minuteman trail dozens of times with my family when I was alot younger. I liked how there was an ice cream stand just next to the trail. I have done the whole thing several years ago, but in years past we only made it as far as that very busy intersection near the end, where you would have to cross a couple of very busy streets. I like how it ends at the Alewife subway station. It must be one fun way of commuting to work if you live next to the rail trail and you work in downtown Boston.

An interesting article I just came across.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/maga ... l-to-wild/

It does take a whole lot of energy and will, but it sure is good for your mental health.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

February 10th, 2018, 12:26 am #71

There is a small rail trail in Salem that runs along Broadway not sure how much further north it goes

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 7th, 2018, 4:07 am #72

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 8th, 2018, 12:31 am #73

Great place I went there last fall with my family. it's not even 10 minutes form my house but this last fall was our first visit. Won't be the last.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 9th, 2018, 10:23 pm #74

OMG, the day this guy was biking this trail was the same exact day I was walking that same trail. I remembered seeing two guys biking down the trail, and even had a short chat with one of them. I wonder if this is the same guy I chatted with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnKEtHJIfH0

While obviously I wasn’t featured in this video, I was definitely at the location shown at 1:45 where I saw them as I was staring at the view while I was on that bridge.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 10th, 2018, 12:23 am #75

Still cool to have that connection.

I know the bridge I have stopped there to get foliage photos one trip.I've been on some of the rails near profile lake. I took a smaller unpaved path along the base of the mountain not the paved paths that weave closer
to the highway. that base path dose connect to the paved path on the other side of the lake.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 12th, 2018, 12:30 am #76

I believe you are talking about the Pemi trail. From Lafayette campground to Profile lake, it does follow closer to the highway. You also get a better view of Cannon mountain during the summer months when the leaves are on the trees. That final stretch that follows the steep mountainside of Profile lake is the most interesting part of the trail. First time I walked it, I saw a duck that went quite upclose. I presumed he wanted me to give him some food, but didn’t. Still awesome seeing wildlife that upclose. Franconia Notch is hands down my favorite hiking area. Love the convenience of having the Recreational path if I don’t feel comfortable about trail conditions of that day. Not to mention its also the home of my favorite mountain to hike, and favorite dayhike I have done so far. Mount Lafayette, and Franconia Ridge loop.

I went snowshoeing today at the abandoned Temple ski area, located just across the road from Pack Monadnock. It is open to hikers, snowshoers, and backcountry skiiers/snowboarders. I was pleasantly surprised how much snow is there. I was even more surprised how much snow there still were on some of the pine trees when I ventured down the Wapack trail some ways, especially one short stretch where a whole tone of snow was sitting on the tree limbs. Absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend snowshoeing here, especially if you have never snowshoed before.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 15th, 2018, 3:34 am #77

That sounds right. but we always took the train form the old man side. Walk over that little stream that runs into the lake. if you look at it long enough you can seem young fish going up and down it.

Sounds like a nice area. glad you had a good time out.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 16th, 2018, 6:41 am #78

Well I dont know about a train that goes through the notch, but there use to be a train that did go through the notch before the invention of the automobile. Amazingly, I never noticed any fish in that lake. One day I looked very closely what was underwater, and I thought for sure I was seeing a brook trout. But it turns out it was either a rock or a log. I have seen fish in other parts of the Whites though.

Also, this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRo61nMC08

I plan on hiking all 48 of NH's 4000ftrs, since I have hiked all of VT's 4000ftrs. Though I don’t know for sure if I will accomplish that, since there are a few particularly tricky ones to get too.

mrceagle
Blue Whale
mrceagle
Blue Whale

March 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm #79

Trail not Train, sorry about that.

There are fish. If I recall right there is even a Fish way toughs stair cases) on the far end of the tunnel that leads to the pond, Boise Rock and more trails.

Sounds like a rewarding goal. Its hard to describe the view and video and photographs don't fully capture the majesty.

SROS Master
Blue Whale

March 18th, 2018, 8:37 pm #80

I know. I could have spelled check that, but I wanted to say that to add some entertainment to this thread. I originally thought you meant the Tramway when I first saw that.

Huh. Me not seeing any trout there is kinda, shall I say, fishy.

No they do not. Though there are a few that really do try its best.