Spammer keeps posting on my bulldog message board

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

Spammer keeps posting on my bulldog message board

05 Apr 2012, 16:33 #1

He is trying to sell some kind of meds for ear problems in dogs. Each time he posts under a different name (but never logged in). Anyone know how to stop this other than having to delete his posts each time? Is there a way to block an IP address? Thanks.

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS TAKEN BY ME ARE MY PROPERTY, ARE COPYRIGHTED UNDER FEDERAL LAW, AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT MY WRITTEN PERMISSION. ANY INCOME MADE OFF OF MY PHOTOS AT ANY TIME MUST BE IMMEDIATELY REMITTED TO ME.

And click here for puppy photos of Boo & Clovis:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glandry113

05 Apr 2012, 21:06 #2

<p>This problem omes up often for forums that allow annonymous posting. The ONLY way to stop it is to make your forum members only, either to post or even to read the forum. Yes, it is a bit of work in the beginning, but it is much less work later on, when you almost never have to delete posts. </p><p>Blocking IP addresses is a temporary fix. It will stop a spammer long enough for them to change their IP address, which is way too easy to do.</p>

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

13 Apr 2012, 23:59 #3

Having your forum open to the world is like leaving your house unlocked when you go out. Don't expect your new big screen TV to be there when you get home, and then don't blame the landlord or your insurance company for it being stolen. That's what people who leave their forums wide open then complain about trolls and spammers here are doing.

18 May 2012, 15:19 #4

<p>This problem omes up often for forums that allow annonymous posting. The ONLY way to stop it is to make your forum members only, either to post or even to read the forum. Yes, it is a bit of work in the beginning, but it is much less work later on, when you almost never have to delete posts. </p><p>Blocking IP addresses is a temporary fix. It will stop a spammer long enough for them to change their IP address, which is way too easy to do.</p>

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums
I am getting lots of spam from the russian federation regarding sale of drugs, is there any way I can just shut down the entire country? I want to share my info with the people there, but the spam ruins it for everyone.

I have been using the "0" feature when banning ISP addresses, but at this point they have upped the game and it is getting worse. I would like to just ban the entire country for a short period of time, any way to do this?

best,

Paul

20 May 2012, 14:47 #5

Paul,

You are not the only one. As result, we are currently making improvements to our system to counteract this, including deleting spam posts en masse. However, I don't know of way to block an entire country.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support