S-----L-----0-----W loading of pages

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

S-----L-----0-----W loading of pages

September 19th, 2011, 7:52 am #1

On and off OVER THE LAST 3 WEEKS my main general discussion FORUM has sufferred some very bad slow page loadings -sometimes taking upto 4 minutes for a single page to load.

When this first happened I thought it was a just a technical glitch in N54 so politely emailed asking for some remedial actions to correct this, over night all then seemed ok.

Last week it happened again, this time lasting 3+ whole days before returning to near normal and then it returned yet again last Friday it seems.

I just have been on a weeks vacation so could not complain or make representations about this very annoying situation which was brought to the attention of my 'moderator' and before he was able to do anything as to contacting yourselves the glitch dissapeared again....

HAS ANYONE ELSE SUFFERRED THESE ONGOING 'PAGE LOADING' SPEED problems ???

During ALL of this problems existance NOTHING else is wrong with the other accesses or forums I use yet every week of so like the rest of you I get the SUNDAY MORNING MESSAGE ...'WE OPTIMISE' FORUMS to make sure they are running at best possible speed etc etc', would someone at N54 please take responsibility for this annoying page loading speed related problem and try to get it resolved so it does not occur again .... other than that I have zero problems with N54 and the services provided, thankyou.

rgds ALAN, in the UK

September 19th, 2011, 3:23 pm #2

Alan,

This problem seems isolated to you. I noticed that you link to Photobucket for your page to load properly. This is most likely the issue. If Photobucket loads slowly, then N54 will also load slowly. You might try removing this link & see if this helps.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support

September 19th, 2011, 8:18 pm #3

On and off OVER THE LAST 3 WEEKS my main general discussion FORUM has sufferred some very bad slow page loadings -sometimes taking upto 4 minutes for a single page to load.

When this first happened I thought it was a just a technical glitch in N54 so politely emailed asking for some remedial actions to correct this, over night all then seemed ok.

Last week it happened again, this time lasting 3+ whole days before returning to near normal and then it returned yet again last Friday it seems.

I just have been on a weeks vacation so could not complain or make representations about this very annoying situation which was brought to the attention of my 'moderator' and before he was able to do anything as to contacting yourselves the glitch dissapeared again....

During ALL of this problems existance NOTHING else is wrong with the other accesses or forums I use yet every week of so like the rest of you I get the SUNDAY MORNING MESSAGE ...'WE OPTIMISE' FORUMS to make sure they are running at best possible speed etc etc', would someone at N54 please take responsibility for this annoying page loading speed related problem and try to get it resolved so it does not occur again .... other than that I have zero problems with N54 and the services provided, thankyou.

rgds ALAN, in the UK
Hello Alan,

You said things have been slow for about the last three weeks. Could it be related (I bet it is) to your addition of photos in your header?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/44985/me ... ntrol+area+..

Here's an example I made for you. Notice how long it takes these "small" pictures to initially load.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/446555/

Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
xڥ�mOAǿ
�H4��Z(��Py�ф,R*6���0W�D_���R- KC����ǫ���}�\��������g�7qf��gֿ�}j]|��[���.����w�Řa�� �
�<�Y����T����m~����'[=�"�>�s��4��X�V�:8|�� &�y jVa}�_�S��nՠe���8��8ݽi�ߘe��폃�����:�~�.���NjA*ـ�tC��_��������I��G������S��ŧ[ p�q�hk
�I�5O`_F��GFJ)m@ˌ�ve�R)U��=�M
��(P����2���yb�{���
��S�p���f�/�_�j��#ǣ�A�A�H�=Ğ�J�`e�R����3.��t�n��a��J?�5��l'�B���\��[�������"�*z#Q!X��"F�(z�q���!��s4$�G4�i���Ոg �V$���Ԇ��>���C$B��봚�z�ɀ"��HE��|�%�=��"����nu��T���T���E�b�xL��I��!�{?�|�Tu���4)�R��'����U��߯�i��|�R�R���5�i\�ph�� ��*�\<*�>�y=����D\Z�k��I���"�yz

September 20th, 2011, 8:34 am #4

Thanks Nick/Bobky,

Now I'm really confused... I asked a few weeks ago how to add photos to my 'forum header' and simply followed 'rippers' advice which was easy and everything went well, still does as I changed my header photo on MONDAY just gone [19th] and I have NO PAGE LOADING SPEED PROBLEMS. The longest recent loading problem of 3 full days duration happened during my holiday and I was nowhere near the computer or even had remote access so obviously I was not on the forum nor accessed it for 8 straight days, so how did the slow speed occur during that period of my absence please?.

MY USERS have also complained direct to me about the slow speeds and they are not linked to me in any way other than using my forum so how is the problem seemingly unique to me and the main forum. Also NICK, how would I remove the photobucket link hookup you mention please ? .... I have only recently - in the last few weeks - experienced this slow loading problem which has never occurred before. My photobucket account use has well over 200 Photos/scanned documents in the 'album' storage fascility.

If other forums have far more colourful headers & photos then how come then they seem NOT to have such loading probs. What if anything am I doing wrong for as I said it only started to happen within the last 4 weeks in total time...or is it somehow directly related to the forum header photo....if I further reduce the header photo size will that help?

Thanks in anticipation chaps,

Alan

September 20th, 2011, 4:45 pm #5

<p>OK, I can't answer WHY certain things happen on the internet, but I can guess about why they MIGHT happen. If Photobucket has slow loading times, which does happen when it is experiencing high usage, it will cause some users to have slow page loading problems when graphics and/or images are linked to them.</p><p>The reason it does not affect ALL users, is some people leave their cache size at half of their hard drive size, meaning they could have terrabytes of images stored locally and don't have to wait for the image to load from the online source each time the page is opened. I won't go into the good and bad of doing that, but you can see how different local settings can afftect your page.</p><p>You don't have to be anywhere near a computer for other people to experience intermittent issues with your page. Try removing the Photobucket images for a day and see if your slow pages speed up. If they do, look for some domain space to store your images. You can get domain space for under $10 a year to register and $10 a month for the space. If you need help doing that, let me know. I maintain about 2 dozen websites.</p>

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

September 20th, 2011, 5:12 pm #6

'I maintain about 2 dozen websites.'

wow!! and I am struggling with just my main forum loading speed which is currently excellent... as of 18.12pm GMT UK TIME

Thanks Ripper , I may well take you up on the offer ..

Alan

September 21st, 2011, 8:44 am #7

Alan,

This problem seems isolated to you. I noticed that you link to Photobucket for your page to load properly. This is most likely the issue. If Photobucket loads slowly, then N54 will also load slowly. You might try removing this link & see if this helps.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support
Thanks, I have removed my 'header' photo and it seems to have improved the 'speed', if this is the case then How can I post a 'header' photo again please without affecting page load speed.

I'm not an out and out computer person simply trying to have more fun with my forum.

Any help much appreciated,

Alan

September 21st, 2011, 7:40 pm #8

'I maintain about 2 dozen websites.'

wow!! and I am struggling with just my main forum loading speed which is currently excellent... as of 18.12pm GMT UK TIME

Thanks Ripper , I may well take you up on the offer ..

Alan
- - they were always a bit slow Alan, geared to London traffic times

Seriously, I'd go with Ripper's advice, but the other thing to look at is how/what format your piccies are saved in? for example dot png takes up more space than dot jpg, which in turn takes up more space than dot gif.

The more space - or bigger the size of file - the longer they will take to load. You need to balance the load time against the picture quality and decide from there which you want to use. - - and that applies to all images on the net.

Photoshop and Paintshop type programmes offer you different ways to convert, save and reduce the size of files at the same time as letting you see the finished results before you sue them, that way you can judge which you want to use on your site. There used to be some freebie online sites that did the same, have a Google round and see if you can find them if you don't want to get hold of your own programme.

HTH a bit

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

http://www.timexwatchforum.com
The Timex Watch Forum

September 21st, 2011, 8:42 pm #9

rgds ALAN, in the UK
Please post a link to your website,or email it to me.It would help me (and other non-moderator types) to answer your questions.Thanks!

Cheers,Bob

KLEX - USA
xڥ�mOAǿ
�H4��Z(��Py�ф,R*6���0W�D_���R- KC����ǫ���}�\��������g�7qf��gֿ�}j]|��[���.����w�Řa�� �
�<�Y����T����m~����'[=�"�>�s��4��X�V�:8|�� &�y jVa}�_�S��nՠe���8��8ݽi�ߘe��폃�����:�~�.���NjA*ـ�tC��_��������I��G������S��ŧ[ p�q�hk
�I�5O`_F��GFJ)m@ˌ�ve�R)U��=�M
��(P����2���yb�{���
��S�p���f�/�_�j��#ǣ�A�A�H�=Ğ�J�`e�R����3.��t�n��a��J?�5��l'�B���\��[�������"�*z#Q!X��"F�(z�q���!��s4$�G4�i���Ոg �V$���Ԇ��>���C$B��봚�z�ɀ"��HE��|�%�=��"����nu��T���T���E�b�xL��I��!�{?�|�Tu���4)�R��'����U��߯�i��|�R�R���5�i\�ph�� ��*�\<*�>�y=����D\Z�k��I���"�yz

September 22nd, 2011, 4:27 am #10

Thanks, I have removed my 'header' photo and it seems to have improved the 'speed', if this is the case then How can I post a 'header' photo again please without affecting page load speed.

I'm not an out and out computer person simply trying to have more fun with my forum.

Any help much appreciated,

Alan
<p>2 things you can do to reduce page loading times due to graphics</p><p>1. Make your image only as large as you need it. Don't use the image size tags in the HTML code to shrink a large image. The full size image still needs to download anyway. I use Paint Shop Pro to manipulate my images. It is very easy to use. The image resizer gets used all the time. I have Photoshop as well and to be honest, I don't even have it installed anymore. Paint Shop Pro has a nice JPG compression option that lets you compress your images without sacrificing quality.
2. Use a private domain to host your images. Photobucket and other places like it are fine, but when they are slow, your page is slow and you have no control over that. Get yourself some domain space and store your images there.</p>

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

Confirmation of reply: