New post vs. response post

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

New post vs. response post

November 29th, 2011, 6:57 pm #1

Can an account holder set themselves up as the only one who can "Post." Like a blog, can they alone post where other users can only "Respond?"

Art Frank

November 29th, 2011, 8:38 pm #2

I don't think so, but look into the blog option when setting up your forum. That MAY give you what you need.

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

November 29th, 2011, 9:12 pm #3

Been looking and searching. Can't find anything about setting up blogs. Where is this subject covered?

Art Frank

November 29th, 2011, 9:48 pm #4

When you set up your forum, in the "Appearance" section of your admin page, there's a drop-down for "Forum Style". One of the options is "Weblog". I think it says BETA or Version 1 or something like that. It may have changed. That is the only forum style that might allow only the forum user to start a new discussion thread.

Ripper

November 29th, 2011, 10:14 pm #5

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Art Frank

November 29th, 2011, 10:34 pm #6

When you set up your forum, in the "Appearance" section of your admin page, there's a drop-down for "Forum Style". One of the options is "Weblog". I think it says BETA or Version 1 or something like that. It may have changed. That is the only forum style that might allow only the forum user to start a new discussion thread.

Ripper

I tried something, and it turns out that by opening another browser window and entering

http://www.network54.com/Forum/(forum#)/post

you can add a top-level post. So even by removing the Post button from the main forum, the admin can still start a new one.

Art Frank

November 30th, 2011, 4:14 am #7

<p>The only problem with that is, anyone smart enough will be able to do the same thing..... We also used an offsite post link on one of our forums that was linked to a website. It became less of a hassle to just add the forum inside an inline frame.</p><p>You can of course, add lots of code (JavaScript would work) to block outside links from anything other than your IP address, but that doesn't keep them from just adding the /post link once they are already at your forum with their browser. A savvy user can get around your workaround.</p><p>Have you considered adding a Twitter link somewhere and using that for your blog? There are places for blogs, as well. You could add a link to your forum and use both.</p><p>Just a few ideas to kick around.....</p>

Ripper

Confirmation of reply: