HUGE Number of Page Views ????

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

HUGE Number of Page Views ????

June 25th, 2011, 8:23 pm #1

Hi Ripper and Nick!

Wanted to bring something to your attention ... for the last several days we've been receiving HUGE numbers of "page views" - all listed as N/A on the view chart ...

Our little forum only averages around 600 - 700 views a day, BUT for these past few days we are getting way over 5,000.

1st) -- Is someone trying to do something to Network54??? - break into something using some remote computer scanning system???

2nd) -- It is near the end of the month and we are "always" way below the number of page views allotted for our Premiere Acct ... BUT if this continues on into next month, these N/A will be eating into our pages view at a fast rate - and they certainly are not viewers.

There has been no diference on our FORUM that I can see, no new posters, or anything else unusal.

Any ideas what is going on ... and what to do if this continues on and takes up our page views??

Thanks,

Tatia

http://www.network54.com/Forum/172251/

June 26th, 2011, 2:30 am #2

it's almost always someone up to no good. The only real damage they seem to do is run up your bandwidth so you eventually get ads or have to pay more to stop them. I seriously doubt it is Network54 trying to make you reach the next pay level, which has been tossed around as a possible cause by some. It's most likely a person (or a bot) in china or some other place that allows internet abuse daily.

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

June 27th, 2011, 9:24 pm #3

Hi Ripper and Nick!

Wanted to bring something to your attention ... for the last several days we've been receiving HUGE numbers of "page views" - all listed as N/A on the view chart ...

Our little forum only averages around 600 - 700 views a day, BUT for these past few days we are getting way over 5,000.

1st) -- Is someone trying to do something to Network54??? - break into something using some remote computer scanning system???

2nd) -- It is near the end of the month and we are "always" way below the number of page views allotted for our Premiere Acct ... BUT if this continues on into next month, these N/A will be eating into our pages view at a fast rate - and they certainly are not viewers.

There has been no diference on our FORUM that I can see, no new posters, or anything else unusal.

Any ideas what is going on ... and what to do if this continues on and takes up our page views??

Thanks,

Tatia

Tatia,

It could be someone is copying every page on your forum. We've seen that a few times before. One time, it did cause a forum to go over allotted page views, so for one month, we permitted them to go over w/out having to deal with ads.

Please let me know if you get close to going over.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support

June 28th, 2011, 2:49 am #4

Hi Nick,

After 5 days of insane numbers for our little FORUM, they were back to normal today.
Hopefully, whatever and whoever N/A was, they are gone for now.

But if they return, I will be sure to let you know right away.

So you think they are targeting individual FORUMS, and not trying to get at something aimed at Network54's programs directly??

Thanks again for your help,

Tatia

June 30th, 2011, 4:41 pm #5

Sorry, I do not know.

Nick
N54 Customer Support

July 1st, 2011, 2:40 am #6

Hi Nick,

After 5 days of insane numbers for our little FORUM, they were back to normal today.
Hopefully, whatever and whoever N/A was, they are gone for now.

But if they return, I will be sure to let you know right away.

So you think they are targeting individual FORUMS, and not trying to get at something aimed at Network54's programs directly??

Thanks again for your help,

Tatia

http://www.network54.com/Forum/44985/me ... 92576/DDOS

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

July 4th, 2011, 6:28 am #7

Hi Nick (and Ripper),

Hopefully you've gotten the DDOS attack under control ....

Our numbers are way down again to normal levels.

Just wanted to let you know that we did receive over 130 views from N/A again today (much improved from the 5,000), but we also received over 150 from SENEGAL.

(We never get over 100 views from any country other than the U.S.)

Thought I'd pass this on, in case this info. could be of help.

As always,

Tatia

August 25th, 2011, 2:23 am #8

Tatia,

It could be someone is copying every page on your forum. We've seen that a few times before. One time, it did cause a forum to go over allotted page views, so for one month, we permitted them to go over w/out having to deal with ads.

Please let me know if you get close to going over.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support
,.. and all my forums usually only gets around 2,000 to 3,000 a month. July I had 89,000 and this month already I have 130,000 - and over my limit and ads are showing up.

Here's my main board that is getting heavily hit:http://www.network54.com/Forum/208566/

My only real active board is getting 3,000-4,000 page views a month. It's basically a board for about 10 of us to discuss things.

The main board is read only.

- Iggy

August 26th, 2011, 7:42 pm #9

Hello,

This doesn't look like a mass copying of posts. With those, there is a huge spike on one or two days and then traffic goes back down. Have you tried Googling the forum humber to see if there is some sort of link to yours that might be causing this?

You might try adjusting your access control settings to limit the forum to the specific group of users.

Regards,

Nick
N54 Customer Support
Last edited by N54nick on August 26th, 2011, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 29th, 2011, 8:12 pm #10

Not sure if this is related, but we have seen a spike in unique IP's (all from South Korea) over the past few days. They seem to each view one page...I would hazard a guess and say it is a distributed scan meant not to trip IDS/IPS alarms/counter measures.

<center>Please work out any matters you have with warnings or bans with the Moderator responsible...only after this has not worked may you e-mail an Administrator for questions about bans or warnings...
<table width="100%"><tr valign="top"><td width="15%" align="center"></td><td align="center">
[url=mailto:provostmartnsg@aol.com]MikePapa1[/url], Administrator, ASIA & PACIFIC and HISTORY & POLITICS
[url=mailto:element7waff@gmail.com]Element7[/url], Administrator, MAIN FORUM and THE DEN
[url=mailto:fariborz_57@yahoo.com]fariborz_57[/url], Administrator, GREECE & TURKEY and EUROPE & MIDDLE-EAST

Do not e-mail the [url=mailto:WAFFmail@gmail.com]forum owner[/url] about bans...the final determination on bans rests with the administrators.</td><td width="15%" align="center"></td></tr></table></center>

Confirmation of reply: