HTML and stuff

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

HTML and stuff

October 11th, 2011, 7:36 pm #1

Hi ,

I have posted here on several occasions that I am far from being a computer nurd or geek but do seriously enjoy my N54 forum.

Recently, following my last help request, I was contacted by another N54 forum owner who has become a good friend as a result by offering to help me with some understanding of uploading certain useful info to be able to add personal touches to my forum which without such help I had zero idea of what or how to do it.

The problem was simple .... HTML!!! what is it and what do you do with it??

I am now, thanks to BOBKY, somewhat better educated about this phenomenon BUT won't be doing any website creating in a hurry..

Ripper is an excellent Moderator on here and I thank him for all the help he offered BUT that help didn't help me because although he explained HTML - what it actually stands for - way back there has never been anything on here that I've seen to explain exactly what is needed, where in the forums and why its needed to be able to upload certain info to ones forum to personalise it as I want to do!

Therefore my conclusion is simple ... to more fully understand these forums requirements one needs a Uni' degree in computer language to even begin the task one sets oneself.

Just wonder .. does anyone else on here have the same lack of computer language knowledge as I, yet wishes to do more but can't due to this not understanding 'computers needs' things which others seem to do, take for granted, and think ALL OTHERS HAVE THE SAME KNOWLEDGE yet clearly they probably DON'T ... I never did..

I need a quick basic MASTER CLASS in HTML .... other than that I'll leave well alone. I thought UPLOADING WAS JUST THAT ... BUT IT ISN'T !! Hit the wrong KEY and it might be lost forever!!!

Any thoughts Ripper?

AL, in the UK.

Semper Fi, AL

October 11th, 2011, 9:31 pm #2

<p>Well, to be honest, you don't need to be an HTML guru to make changes to your forum. You can do quite a bit just using the admin panel. More than that, I would suggest setting up a test forum and playing around with things until you get them to look the way you want, then copy and paste the code into your "live" forum.</p><p>There are plenty of places online to look for basic HTML code, what it does, what you can do with it, etc...</p><p>These forums are here to help when that isn't enough, the links below (in my signature) are for even more in-depth questions or problems.</p><p>Trust me, I don't claim to be an expert. I do what I can to help, when I can. There is plenty I don't know, especially within Network54's limitations. Much of what I learned, came from trial and error, lots of error....</p><p>You can't be afraid to screw up. I did something once, on my own website, that crashed the entire server. Dozens of websites, not all mine, crashed along with it. I wrote an SQL script (an SQL script communicates in the background between your website and a database on your server) that became a loop and sent constant queries to the database until the host company shut it down. Traffic overload.... It was a simple misplaced character in the code. </p><p>You can't do that here (at least, I don't think you can).</p>

Ripper

Network54 Forum Tech Tips
Airbrush and Paint Tech Forums

October 11th, 2011, 9:45 pm #3

Hi ,

I have posted here on several occasions that I am far from being a computer nurd or geek but do seriously enjoy my N54 forum.

Recently, following my last help request, I was contacted by another N54 forum owner who has become a good friend as a result by offering to help me with some understanding of uploading certain useful info to be able to add personal touches to my forum which without such help I had zero idea of what or how to do it.

I am now, thanks to BOBKY, somewhat better educated about this phenomenon BUT won't be doing any website creating in a hurry..

Ripper is an excellent Moderator on here and I thank him for all the help he offered BUT that help didn't help me because although he explained HTML - what it actually stands for - way back there has never been anything on here that I've seen to explain exactly what is needed, where in the forums and why its needed to be able to upload certain info to ones forum to personalise it as I want to do!

Therefore my conclusion is simple ... to more fully understand these forums requirements one needs a Uni' degree in computer language to even begin the task one sets oneself.

Just wonder .. does anyone else on here have the same lack of computer language knowledge as I, yet wishes to do more but can't due to this not understanding 'computers needs' things which others seem to do, take for granted, and think ALL OTHERS HAVE THE SAME KNOWLEDGE yet clearly they probably DON'T ... I never did..

I need a quick basic MASTER CLASS in HTML .... other than that I'll leave well alone. I thought UPLOADING WAS JUST THAT ... BUT IT ISN'T !! Hit the wrong KEY and it might be lost forever!!!

Any thoughts Ripper?

AL, in the UK.

Semper Fi, AL
<p>I'm not really sure what you mean by using HTML to upload things to your forum. I was unaware of any ability to upload to Network54 just by using HTML. I never needed it anyway as I store all of my images and other extra stuff on my own website...</p><p>Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do?</p>

Ripper

October 12th, 2011, 8:11 am #4

<center>http:// ....... /<center>/[P] or something like that Just to move a text line over to the center position in the in the forum headers, Did I set it up wrong from day one or do I always need to modify at some later dates, I don't know!?

or similar if you wish to Upload a photo/image from say 'TINYPIC' .... or as I can now do having found a very helpful 'SMILEYS' website to upload some into to my forum, some companies helpfully provide the code data in side boxes and one simply cutNpastes it.

I put all my photos/docs into PHOTOBUCKET as do many others because its linked to N54, of course there are othes such as IMAGE SHACK !!

Although I now have more idea about this stuff due to my helpful other forum owner friend, I had zero idea of what to look for or even what to do and 'HTML' was way off the planet.. I thought HTML was purely for writing computer programmes and didn't affect us humble forum owners.. I had zero knowledge about how to move my forums header TITLES around in my forum but do now, but not what or how the html starts or when it stops or when its required to be added! if its needed to be created and when if I want to do something that I don't know how to.

HTH Ripper..

AL </center></center>

Semper Fi, AL

October 13th, 2011, 12:45 am #5

<p>OK, HTML 101.....</p><p>< p > Simply stands for paragraph. Every paragraph on a web page should be enclosed by < p > and < /p > (ignore the spaces, of course)</p><p>Adding align="center" simply moves the text to the middle of the page. The same can be done with a headline (headlines come in 6 sizes. 1 is the largest, 6 is smaller than normal text). Headlines are also placeholders for search engines. For example:</p><p>< h1 align="center" >BIG HEADLINE GETS LOTS OF ATTENTION < /h1 >
< h2 align="left" > Section 1 of interesting content. This line is a secondary heading < /h2 >
< p >Align left is assumed by most browsers, you can add it or leave it out. You can also align text to the right. Personally, I use a CSS page to align ALL of the text and images on my pages, just in case.< /p >
< h2 >Next Section Heading< /h2>
< p >This could go on forever, but the point is, search engines look at each section of text, following the heading for that section h1 is given more priority than h2, etc., etc.... It is somewhat important if you want to move up in the listings to have headings and regular text that relate to each other. It is also good practice to use proper HTML < /p ></p><p>Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) is just the fancy-schmancy name for the tags and other code that is translated by the browser into a viewable page. Without it, the text would all run together, be the same size and style, have no color and would be barely readable. This doesn't even get into images, videos, etc.</p><p>You can make the text larger or smaller, change the color and behavior within each added line. For example:
< p align="center" >< font size="2" color ="red" >< b >This would be a slightly smaller, red and bold line of text. Notice each tag is closed in the reverse order of how they were opened. Think of it as putting things in a box inside a box. You can't mix up the boxes.< /b >< /font >< /p ></p><p>There is also a sort of unwritten rule about the order of tags, but that's not really important (as long as the paragraph or heading starts and ends it). Keeping the tags nested in the right order is much more important.</p><p>Network54 has a built in HTML encoder (your admin page is how you control it). With that, you can change text size and color, change the background, add a background image and more. The same can be done with a CSS page or by adding additional code to each line of your header, description and footer sections.</p>

Ripper

October 13th, 2011, 7:15 pm #6

Thanks Ripper, once again I get to more fully understand whats up and why some things didn't make sense when trying something new that didn't work because I simply lacked that stuff or understanding.

This descriptive help is all I can ask, very much appreciated.

November 4th, 2011, 7:16 pm #7

Hi ,

Any thoughts Ripper?

AL, in the UK.

Semper Fi, AL
There is also a series for "The Compleat Idiot" or something like that. Your library will have hard copies. The library used book store probably has copies too. And there are the e-versions, your library e-book lending service or Amazon/Kindle's lending service (for premier Amazon members.)

I am definitely a coding dummy -- tend to learn what I need to do something and then the whole language flies right out of my brain. So, for myself, I spent a buck and got a used version of "HTML for dummies" just so I could spill coffee all over it and tag pages. I don't know how to get "dummier" than writing labels on a post-it to guide myself through a Dummy book

Confirmation of reply: