Help with linking email address to my name

Moderators: N54 Volunteer Moderator, Network54 Employee

Help with linking email address to my name

June 23rd, 2014, 8:54 pm #1

Please help...Ripper?

A forum member said his email address was not linked to his name. While checking into this with my own profile, I deleted my email address. Sure enough that de-linked the email address from my name, and my post showed my name in black. Next, I put my email address back in my profile; however, now when I post my name still appears in back (instead of blue) and my email address is not linked.

Suggestions?

See this example.

xڥ�mOAǿ
�H4��Z(��Py�ф,R*6���0W�D_���R- KC����ǫ���}�\��������g�7qf��gֿ�}j]|��[���.����w�Řa�� �
�<�Y����T����m~����'[=�"�>�s��4��X�V�:8|�� &�y jVa}�_�S��nՠe���8��8ݽi�ߘe��폃�����:�~�.���NjA*ـ�tC��_��������I��G������S��ŧ[ p�q�hk
�I�5O`_F��GFJ)m@ˌ�ve�R)U��=�M
��(P����2���yb�{���
��S�p���f�/�_�j��#ǣ�A�A�H�=Ğ�J�`e�R����3.��t�n��a��J?�5��l'�B���\��[�������"�*z#Q!X��"F�(z�q���!��s4$�G4�i���Ոg �V$���Ԇ��>���C$B��봚�z�ɀ"��HE��|�%�=��"����nu��T���T���E�b�xL��I��!�{?�|�Tu���4)�R��'����U��߯�i��|�R�R���5�i\�ph�� ��*�\<*�>�y=����D\Z�k��I���"�yz

June 24th, 2014, 12:30 pm #2

Since the 23rd, all members are not having their email addresses be linked to their names.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/
xڥ�mOAǿ
�H4��Z(��Py�ф,R*6���0W�D_���R- KC����ǫ���}�\��������g�7qf��gֿ�}j]|��[���.����w�Řa�� �
�<�Y����T����m~����'[=�"�>�s��4��X�V�:8|�� &�y jVa}�_�S��nՠe���8��8ݽi�ߘe��폃�����:�~�.���NjA*ـ�tC��_��������I��G������S��ŧ[ p�q�hk
��(P����2���yb�{���
��S�p���f�/�_�j��#ǣ�A�A�H�=Ğ�J�`e�R����3.��t�n��a��J?�5��l'�B���\��[�������"�*z#Q!X��"F�(z�q���!��s4$�G4�i���Ոg �V$���Ԇ��>���C$B��봚�z�ɀ"��HE��|�%�=��"����nu��T���T���E�b�xL��I��!�{?�|�Tu���4)�R��'����U��߯�i��|�R�R���5�i\�ph�� ��*�\<*�>�y=����D\Z�k��I���"�yz

June 24th, 2014, 7:07 pm #3

Hi Bob,

It was an option that we needed to remove. For some years (well, since the beginning actually!) we had that email field and it was there so that you could have responses sent to your email address. But this could be (and was) easily abused - and due to that abuse, we weren't able to effectively send out email responses. That should now be fixed (it requires you to validate your email address for your account).

You can still have an email address in your profile - fill in the external email address in your profile, and set your profile to visible. Also, you can (at your option) include your email address in your signature.

June 25th, 2014, 2:16 am #4

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

FYI, having the email linked to the name has never been a problem in the almost 10 years I've been a forum owner.

Are you saying that email notification to posts is working again? You said to "validate your email address for you account." Are you saying that the member should check their profile to make sure they have their current email address listed?
xڥ�mOAǿ
��(P����2���yb�{���

June 25th, 2014, 5:48 am #5

Yes, the email notification to posts should be working again. At least if you have a verified email address (it will let you know when posting if you need to verify it).

The problem with the email field is that it was used for the response email. It would allow you to type in any email and responses would be sent there. That wasn't a good idea, but it was part of our system for a long time.

June 25th, 2014, 1:17 pm #6

Hi Chris,

Thank you for fixing this.

xڥ�mOAǿ
��(P����2���yb�{���

June 28th, 2014, 11:02 am #7

Please help...Ripper?

A forum member said his email address was not linked to his name. While checking into this with my own profile, I deleted my email address. Sure enough that de-linked the email address from my name, and my post showed my name in black. Next, I put my email address back in my profile; however, now when I post my name still appears in back (instead of blue) and my email address is not linked.

Suggestions?

See this example.

Network54 has eliminated the link between your name and your email address (if you listed one.)

If you would like to have your email address available to be seen by other members, you must put it in your profile.

1. Click on My Account
2. Click on Profile
3. Put your email in the spot for External Email.
4. Check the boxes for:
"Allow this profile information to be viewed by those interested in me online."
and "show." See the example below.
5. Save Changes.

Now when a member clicks on your Login Name, they will see your profile with the email address in it. My Login name is bob2aa.

Another alternative would be to put your email address in your signature, like Connie has done:

xڥ�mOAǿ
��(P����2���yb�{���

June 29th, 2014, 4:01 pm #8

That is already checked by default in my account. I did not choose it for myself.

Confirmation of reply: