Your first card-collecting memory

February 25th, 2009, 6:58 pm #1

For me, it was opening packs of 1973 Topps, purchased from the concession stand at Pee Wee Park, the little league field in Bowling Green, Ohio. I remember how the wax paper felt, how the gum smelled, and how much of a bummer it was to realize, the following spring, how "old-fashioned" my stack of about 200 cards had suddenly become.

February 25th, 2009, 7:11 pm #2

For me it was opening up 1977 Topps packs and putting together my first hand collated set. I especially liked Dave Parker and the Pittsburgh Pirates back then.....

February 25th, 2009, 7:23 pm #3

Flipping cards on the sidewalk for 1967 and '68 Topps Red Sox and Bruins cards. I generally lost as most of the kids were older, thus more crafty. These are the same slugs that years earlier would trade me their nickels for my dimes, "Nickels are better, 'cuz they're bigger, like quarters!"

February 25th, 2009, 7:48 pm #4

For me, it was opening packs of 1973 Topps, purchased from the concession stand at Pee Wee Park, the little league field in Bowling Green, Ohio. I remember how the wax paper felt, how the gum smelled, and how much of a bummer it was to realize, the following spring, how "old-fashioned" my stack of about 200 cards had suddenly become.

Opening 1966 Topps packs and then cutting the "rookie stars" cards in two to have more cards .

Then in 1967, growing up in Watertown, MA, I went crazy buying the Topps Red Sox stickers test issue. I had those stickers all over everything. Drove my Mom crazy. Had to have a couple hundered of them. My best Friend had even more. It was like an arms race. He had them stuck all over his room.

February 25th, 2009, 8:05 pm #5

It was december of 1978 in Little Falls MN, we had just finished a Squirt Hockey game against them and won which was huge because we always lost to them. I scored my first goal ever that day and was on cloud 9 !! We were on our way home and stopped at a gas station and in the store I was looking at all the candy and my dad handed me a pack of hockey cards, I didn't know what they were but after getting in the car and opening them up, well, I've been addicted ever since.

February 25th, 2009, 9:02 pm #6

I always enjoyed going to the local drug store as a kid and buying 1985 Topps wax packs.

February 25th, 2009, 9:10 pm #7

1868 Topps. I bought tons of packs. When 69's came out I passed along a huge shoebox of 68's to a cousin. Boy I wish I had those now.
RayB

edited to note: Still have a bunch of my childhood 69's.

February 25th, 2009, 9:15 pm #8

1868 Topps? How old are you, anyway, Ray?

February 25th, 2009, 9:38 pm #9

It was 1956 and I was six years old. I had eight or nine cards from somebody who thought "give 'em to the kid". I had never seen a baseball card before then. I was playing with them on the floor in my room. Amongst them I distinctly remember a '54 Topps Ernie Banks and a '56 Topps Del Ennis. Loved that little Cubbie on the Banks and loved the way Ennis leapt in to the air. Started collecting Topps in '57, nickle a pack. Always carried my rubberbanded stack to school. My Uncle Harry owned a cigar store in Brooklyn. One time he surprised me with a whole box; Gluttony became my first Deadly Sin. Thanks, Uncle Harry. He had the most awesome candy counter in his store. How I yearn to time-travel back to those days. Think I better go BIN some cardboard, maybe a nice '54 Banks. Maybe the feeling would pass.

February 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm #10

I remember buying a pack of 1966 Topps @ IGA and pulling a Sonny Seibert.