6:00 PM - Dec 13, 2008 #21

I do not think that too many Net54ers will argue with me that Eddie Foster is probably the toughest of the 48 cards in the
Southern League (SL) series. It seems that all SL players were not equally printed.
First, here are the four different SL represented......

1st release......with Brown HINDU, OLD MILL, PIEDMONT backs

South Atlantic League (10 subjects)
Southern League (20 Subjects)
Virginia League (12 Subjects)

2nd release......with OLD MILL, PIEDMONT backs

Texas League (6 Subjects)

Now, a close 2nd in scarcity to Foster is teammate, George Paige. These 2 players were on Charleston of the So. Atl. Lge.
This League had difficulties which resulted in a "split-season". The 1st half of the 1909 season was won by Chattanooga.
On 7/5/09 the Charleston franchise became the Knoxville team. I'd venture to say that this change caused Foster and Paige
to be short-printed.
In addition, Kiernan and Manion were involved in mid-season trades, as a consequence of the changes in this League. These
two are also tougher to find than most of the other SL cards. At the end of the 1909 season Chattanooga and Augusta (the
winner of the 2nd half) played a League Series and Chattanooga won 4 of the 7 game series.

From the Virginia Lge. Revelle is tough to find. He was an outstanding pitcher for Richmond in 1909 with a 29-11 W-L record.

From the Southern League, the three New Orleans guys are quite tough....Breitenstein, Fritz, and Reagan.

To summarize, here is my list of the top 12 tougher SL cards (regardless of backs) in order of scarcity......

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

Some of you may differ, and I welcome any debate.

Regarding the very tough Brown HINDU backs (possible on the 1st 42 players in this series). The first 42 SL cards were issued
shortly after the general 150 Series cards were available (Spring of 1909). This fact is confirmed by the date of the Charleston
players mentioned in the above story. The very 1st SL cards were printed with the HINDU backs.

There are 34 of the 42 SL cards that have been confirmed with the HINDU back. The following 8 have not......

Hart (Little Rock)....No Print
Hart (Montgomery).....No Print
King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Orth.......Possible Print
Rockenfeld......Possible Print
Seitz......Possible Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

In this HINDU adv. three SL cards are displayed....one is incorrectly pictured....who will be the 1st one to identify this error ?

And, who is the actual BB subject shown ? ?

TED Z
I agree it is Breitenstein with a reverse negative.

Great Thread,

Lee

6:32 PM - Dec 13, 2008 #22

I do not think that too many Net54ers will argue with me that Eddie Foster is probably the toughest of the 48 cards in the
Southern League (SL) series. It seems that all SL players were not equally printed.

Now, a close 2nd in scarcity to Foster is teammate, George Paige. These 2 players were on Charleston of the So. Atl. Lge.
This League had difficulties which resulted in a "split-season". The 1st half of the 1909 season was won by Chattanooga.
On 7/5/09 the Charleston franchise became the Knoxville team. I'd venture to say that this change caused Foster and Paige
to be short-printed.
In addition, Kiernan and Manion were involved in mid-season trades, as a consequence of the changes in this League. These
two are also tougher to find than most of the other SL cards. At the end of the 1909 season Chattanooga and Augusta (the
winner of the 2nd half) played a League Series and Chattanooga won 4 of the 7 game series.

From the Virginia Lge. Revelle is tough to find. He was an outstanding pitcher for Richmond in 1909 with a 29-11 W-L record.

From the Southern League, the three New Orleans guys are quite tough....Breitenstein, Fritz, and Reagan.

To summarize, here is my list of the top 12 tougher SL cards (regardless of backs) in order of scarcity......

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

Regarding the very tough Brown HINDU backs (possible on the 1st 42 players in this series). The first 42 SL cards were issued
shortly after the general 150 Series cards were available (Spring of 1909). This fact is confirmed by the date of the Charleston
players mentioned in the above story. The very 1st SL cards were printed with the HINDU backs.

There are 34 of the 42 SL cards that have been confirmed with the HINDU back. The following 8 have not......

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

In this HINDU adv. three SL cards are displayed....one is incorrectly pictured....who will be the 1st one to identify this error ?

TED Z
Jamie,
very helpful and interesting delineation.

many thanks,

best,
barry

8:09 PM - Dec 13, 2008 #23

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
Jamie...

I don't think Perdue was short printed.

I do think there was a bit of a hunt for Perdue cards after he went up to the major leagues... He was an extremely interesting fellow. Best game he ever pitched in the major leagues was opening day against Mr. McGraw's Giants, Mathewson pitched. Hub Perdue pitched a 3 hit shutout as Boston beat the Giants. It was April 15, 1912. But did Hub get great headlines the next day in the newspaper? No. The papers were full of stuff about a possible shipwreck at sea... the Titanic.

Hub started the 1914 season in Boston. The team lost more than they won. Manager Stallings arrives, and Boston starts winning. Stallings trades Hub to St. Louis, and Hub was mad as hell for years, because he was traded away from a share of all of that 1914 World Series money.

Hub would board a train in Gallatin each year to go to spring training. He'd arrive back by train in October, usually broke. His dad, a frugal fellow, could not believe that Hub spent all of those big baseball dollars and had nothing saved for winter. So one season, just before Hub departs, his dad tells him that when he comes home at season's end his dad will match, dollar for dollar, each dollar Hub has saved. The season goes by, Hub rides the train home, and is broke. In town, before going home, he stops by the bank and borrows $2000 from a banker friend. Hub goes home and greats his dad. Eventually dad asks Hub if he saved anything, and without a word out comes the $2000 onto the table. Dad goes to a tin and counts out the matching $2000. Hub eventually tells dad the truth and returns the money.

I think some Hub cards were gathered because he was with that Boston team in 1914. He had a long career, mainly with Nashville, so folks would have been more likely to keep his card. I think these are reasons why there should be more of them, not fewer. I think guys who left baseball and forgotten about were more likely to have their cards discarded. After baseball Hub was in local politics, and was elected County Clerk of Sumner County Tennessee (Gallatin is the county seat) several times. Maybe that put a demand on his card that got them out of collectors hands and into the hands of locals. I don't believe that, but Dr. Beckett must have had a reason for tweeking the price of his cards.

4:08 PM - Dec 14, 2008 #24

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
Believe it or not....my 1st thought on the Breitenstein pix was that they reversed the image.

But, then I had 2nd thoughts....one should always listen to his 1st thought.

TRIVIA quiz....what remarkable event is Ted Breitenstein in the record books for ?

TED Z

4:52 PM - Dec 14, 2008 #25

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
Ted - Breit's No Hitter in 1st Major League start, right ?!?... But from a Minor League perspective I think he might be most famous for having his best year pitching in 1908 for NO only to lose the last game of the season to the Nashville Vols 0-1 and his team lose the Southern Association Crown by winning percentage of .571 to .573 --

5:08 PM - Dec 14, 2008 #26

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
Hi Jeremy,
Great answer, but wrong...smiley...
His claim to fame.... He coached TedZ in Little League....

Be well Brian... I'm laughing out loud in the parking lot and people are watching...

8:40 PM - Dec 14, 2008 #27

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
You almost got me Brian ! You know, I was going to answer that way, but Ted mentioned "in the record books," so I deferred to the more commonly known No-Hitter in 1st major league start, since Ted and Breit probably did not make the record books! See Smiley man, below...

Be well Jeremy

4:56 PM - Dec 15, 2008 #28

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
You are the TRIVIA King......

Ted Breitenstein pitched a No-Hitter in his 1st Major League start on October 4, 1891 with the
St Louis Browns.

TED Z

5:23 PM - Dec 15, 2008 #29

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
Funny....but, do you realize how close you are to truth with that "funny" ?

Here is Frank O'Rourke (from the 1933 Goudey set). Frank and Ted Breitenstein probably crossed
paths in the Minors.

Frank was a utility infielder for six Major Lge. teams from 1912-1931. I think he has the record for
being the youngest starting BB player (at age 17) in the NL.

When he retired from BB he became a NY Yankees scout, and lived in NJ. During 1954-1957, Frank
was our High School BB coach....there was no Little League then in our town.

....HA....HA....the last laugh is mine....

TED Z

6:32 PM - Dec 15, 2008 #30

to be short-printed.

Foster
Paige
Fritz
Revelle
Hart (Little Rock)
Manion
Breitenstein
Greminger
Ellam
Reagan
Kiernan
LaFitte

King......No Print
Lentz......No Print
Westlake......No Print

TRIVIA quiz......

TED Z
"I think he has the record for
being the youngest starting BB player (at age 17) in the NL."

Wasn't Joe Nuxhall 16 when he debuted?