THE MONSTER - "Making Noise"

THE MONSTER - "Making Noise"

April 27th, 2009, 4:33 pm #1

I have been collecting a graded T206 set for a little over 3 years now.....and it is "making a lot of noise". Here's my situation: My wife and I are having some construction done at our home and we put money away to pay for it with cash. No loan. No debt. To get it to the point we now want, we need some more money.

My two choices are:
Take out a small loan (which I really, really don't want to do)
Or
Sell my T206 set

I just finished paying off all of my credit cards last month and really enjoy not having a credit card payment. So do I know take out a loan? (Under $20,000) or sell my set?

I know most will say, hold onto the cards, but at 40% completion, I will be constantly buying more cards and then paying a loan payment at the same time.

If I decide to sell, what would be my best option? I will only sell them if I can do it as one group. I will never break it up. Right now I have 214 graded T206s. All but 2 are SGC50 (PSA4) or above. Just 2 at SGC40.

I look forward to feedback/thoughts. If anyone is interested, please email me at my work email: phil@eastcoasttrophy.com

Thanks guys! This is tough.

April 27th, 2009, 4:39 pm #2

Why not apply for a line of credit (or two)? The interest rates are low and manageable, and you won't have to sacrifice your collection. This way, you CAN always sell the cards as a later option if absolutely necessary.

April 27th, 2009, 4:48 pm #3

I have been collecting a graded T206 set for a little over 3 years now.....and it is "making a lot of noise". Here's my situation: My wife and I are having some construction done at our home and we put money away to pay for it with cash. No loan. No debt. To get it to the point we now want, we need some more money.

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

I just finished paying off all of my credit cards last month and really enjoy not having a credit card payment. So do I know take out a loan? (Under $20,000) or sell my set?

I know most will say, hold onto the cards, but at 40% completion, I will be constantly buying more cards and then paying a loan payment at the same time.

If I decide to sell, what would be my best option? I will only sell them if I can do it as one group. I will never break it up. Right now I have 214 graded T206s. All but 2 are SGC50 (PSA4) or above. Just 2 at SGC40.

I look forward to feedback/thoughts. If anyone is interested, please email me at my work email: phil@eastcoasttrophy.com

I pretty much know how much more money I need and I will need it all at once to finish the project, so I don't think a line of credit would give me any more benefits than a small loan.

April 27th, 2009, 5:05 pm #4

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

Sometimes life gets in the way of collecting. I am going after one very scarce set, in particular, that is going to cost a (relative) lot of money to finish. Probably close to 6 figures, or more, so I am undecided on what to do. For the moment I am just holding what I have. The thing about the monster is that, even though you put a lot of time and effort into it, you will see the cards again if you decide to sell now. You can always start again later though it could be a bit disheartening to do so. Do what makes your wife happy and you will be happy too. My wife knows my cards make me happy so she has never said to sell any. It's always been my choice. She is a great wife. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

April 27th, 2009, 5:08 pm #5

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

Thanks Leon. My wife is the same way. She has already told me that she doesn't want me to sell them. I just don't want to be burdened with any more debt. Plus the $200 or so I spend every month on adding to The Monster.

April 27th, 2009, 5:18 pm #6

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

Could you sell part of the set? If I had to raise money, I would be ok with it if I could hold on to at least some portion of my collection. If you 200 cards, maybe you could keep a favorite hall of famer (or three) and about twenty of the commons. That way you are a responsible dude and yet still in the game.

April 27th, 2009, 5:22 pm #7

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

I still have some raw T206s....mostly my favorite commons. I would end up just getting those framed and hang them on my wall. If I am going to sell them, for me, it is all or nothing. No looking back. Maybe some day again down the road as Leon suggested.

April 27th, 2009, 5:33 pm #8

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

With all due respect, people who make bad choices in situations like this are a major reason why our country is in such bad shape. People wanted to remodel their kitchens, refi'ed their house to a cheaper mortgage and now can't pay their bills. They have a nice kitchen, but now the bank owns the house.

My vote is sell the cards if you want to spend new money. Don't add any more debt. They are just cards.

April 27th, 2009, 5:38 pm #9

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

Can you get a Home Equity loan ??
Mine is at low low low rate.

If you get a loan and don't sell your cards, HOWEVER stop buying new ones.* Then you can use that money to pay off loan. If things get a little tight here and there, then sell off a few cards here and there.

* that's a BIG however

April 27th, 2009, 5:45 pm #10

My two choices are:
Or
Sell my T206 set

Maybe sell half of them, keep all the nice ones ! I would think you would get a lot more money by selling in small groups or individually. If you sold as a huge group wouldn't you take a lot less in ? Tough call, good luck !!