Question About Heritage Auction

Question About Heritage Auction

April 24th, 2009, 6:55 pm #1

I didn't want this question to get lost in the other Heritage thread. I hope it's ok that I've started a new one.

I was watching one lot very closely last night (the Tip Top Dreyfuss). It closed last night at $5500 plus the buyer's premium. I would swear on a stack of bibles that I saw it listed as closed. This morning, I checked the website again to see how much the Hartford CDV closed for because it was still active when I went to sleep last night. When I pulled up my bid/watch list, I saw that the Dreyfuss I was watching was now listed at $7500 plus the buyer's premium.

How is this possible? Did anyone else notice this? Or did I just completely misread the auction last night. None of this matters to me, except for getting a sense of the value of this card. Thanks.

April 24th, 2009, 7:01 pm #2

I also thought (key word here is "thought") I saw some lots closed at a certain price and then today they were a different, higher realized price. Maybe there was a place where there was a "closed to normal bidding" price and then a final price?

April 26th, 2009, 2:09 pm #3

I didn't want this question to get lost in the other Heritage thread. I hope it's ok that I've started a new one.

I was watching one lot very closely last night (the Tip Top Dreyfuss). It closed last night at $5500 plus the buyer's premium. I would swear on a stack of bibles that I saw it listed as closed. This morning, I checked the website again to see how much the Hartford CDV closed for because it was still active when I went to sleep last night. When I pulled up my bid/watch list, I saw that the Dreyfuss I was watching was now listed at $7500 plus the buyer's premium.

How is this possible? Did anyone else notice this? Or did I just completely misread the auction last night. None of this matters to me, except for getting a sense of the value of this card. Thanks.
I was told that once the initial bidding was closed, if you had not bid on a lot, then the lot showed closed. That makes sense as the lots I was bidding on were still open and the others were closed, fairly early into overtime. So the lots were really open, and in extended bidding, but only showed open to folks who had bid on them. That is the reason that so many lots went up after they looked like they were closed. regards

April 26th, 2009, 3:39 pm #4

That sounds like pretty sophisticated software to be able to do that, and I think it's a good idea.

April 26th, 2009, 3:50 pm #5

Could someone post the final prices of the Cracker Jack Joe Jackson cards that ended in the Heritage auction? I'm not registered with their company, so the website doesn't show me that info. One was graded a PSA 6.5, and the other was an SGC 92. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tony

April 26th, 2009, 4:19 pm #6

Well, that explanation might make sense but I'm not sure it is right. I had bid on the Dreyfuss. When I went to bid again during extended bidding, it showed closed to me with a hammer price of $5,500. Unless I am missing something, since I had previously bid on the Dreyfuss, I assume that it should have still been open to me. I would have bid higher than either the real or pretend closing price of the lot, so shutting me out probably cost them some money.

Kenny Cole

April 26th, 2009, 4:54 pm #7

sometimes heritage has live floor bidding and phone bidding after the internet auctions are closed. maybe this was the case?

April 26th, 2009, 5:47 pm #8

Kenny,

When you were viewing the lot, and it said "closed", is it possible that you weren't logged in to Heritage, but just viewing it? If their software is as complicated as it sounds, it wouldn't know you had bid previously unless you were logged in.

April 26th, 2009, 6:34 pm #9

I don't think the explanation makes sense. I had bid on every lot I was watching. One lot (the Hartford CDV) showed that it was still active. All the rest, including the Dreyfuss, were listed as closed.

April 26th, 2009, 7:02 pm #10

Tony,

To answer your question--(bp included)

SGC 92 Jackson 41.8K

PSA 6.5 Jackson 15.5K