Oldest Baseball Card

Oldest Baseball Card

June 23rd, 2006, 2:29 am #1

im new here and im hearing that 1863 Jordan & Co. are the first baseball cards you know the 4 card set but then some people dont consider thats a baseball card they think a Cartes De visite isnt a baseball car which that it is i need some help here these cards are the oldest baseball cards that i have ever found are these really the oldest baseball cards? if not tell me if there are other ones and if you have links to the website where you found it that would help and is the 1863 "Grand Match At Hoboken" Benefit card Of Harry Wright really a baseball card or not? thanks
Last edited by JordanAndCompany on June 23rd, 2006, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2006, 2:38 am #2

June 23rd, 2006, 2:44 am #3

im new here and im hearing that 1863 Jordan & Co. are the first baseball cards you know the 4 card set but then some people dont consider thats a baseball card they think a Cartes De visite isnt a baseball car which that it is i need some help here these cards are the oldest baseball cards that i have ever found are these really the oldest baseball cards? if not tell me if there are other ones and if you have links to the website where you found it that would help and is the 1863 "Grand Match At Hoboken" Benefit card Of Harry Wright really a baseball card or not? thanks
i dont get it what am i supposed to do in it

i get it now just because i dont have good grammar it means you have to find a website for me I HATE GRAMMAR im only in 6th Grade
Last edited by JordanAndCompany on June 23rd, 2006, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2006, 4:02 am #4

The Hoboken Match is generally not considered a baseball card, as it was used as a ticket or pass. There are other Hoboken cards, but it is no known that the folks pictured are baseball players. They may have been cricket players.
Last edited by drc1 on June 23rd, 2006, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2006, 5:07 am #5

David,

Way over Sean's head it's to easy. I really like it though.

June 23rd, 2006, 5:41 am #6

Tough crowd.

June 23rd, 2006, 5:57 am #7

A kid doing a school paper once asked me what was the oldest baseball card. Assuming he didn't want to hear baseball card classification theory, I said it was the 1869 Peck & Snyder Reds.

June 23rd, 2006, 12:16 pm #8

and then there is a great sense of humor
You sir, have both!

June 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm #9

The first baseball card, to me, is the 1868 Atlantics card...The first professional card is the 1869 Peck and Snyder Team card, as they were all paid. This is very "relative" and everyone has their own opinion. The other ticket-cards etc...could be cards to some folks, but not me. Best regards

edited to add "See mom- Did you notice all of the punctuation I used?"
Last edited by leonl on June 23rd, 2006, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 23rd, 2006, 1:38 pm #10

I have a card from 1861-64 that features Henry Chadwick standing alongside members of the Brooklyn Resolutes and the Philadelphia Athletics from the National Association of Baseball Players.

I like to think of this card as the first baseball card...

but I can understand why the Peck & Snyders are "more" like cards since they have advertising on the back.