My 1956-Topps style Charley Peete card

March 29th, 2009, 8:33 pm #1

For those who don't visit the Memorabilia section of the forum, I want to share my latest custom card creation here.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm thinking of doing a similar card for Tom Gastall, if anybody can heklp with photos of the ill-fated Orioles catcher.

March 29th, 2009, 9:35 pm #2

Very nicely done...When I first started collecting I was doing all of Topps rookies and so forth, so had a a few 1956's....

March 30th, 2009, 8:12 pm #3

For those who don't visit the Memorabilia section of the forum, I want to share my latest custom card creation here.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm thinking of doing a similar card for Tom Gastall, if anybody can heklp with photos of the ill-fated Orioles catcher.
Bob, very well done. There are not many Charlie Peete photos out there.

For those that don't know Charlie Peete, he had great potential.
1956 was his first and only year in the majors.

He was killed in a plane crash in Venezuela on his way to winer ball.
His wife and 3 kids died with him.

Randy

March 31st, 2009, 5:41 pm #4

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Randy, and all . . .

I mentioned it on the memorabilia board, but I'll repeat it here. I've worked up an article about Charley Peete and his few contemporary collectibles that should be appearing in SCD in the future. I'd been keeping notes and cippings about him for many years and finally worked them up into an article, since I was also doing my custom card.

Thinking about Peete's last moments on that plane, knowing his wife abnd children were doomed chokes me up. I only hope the kids were too young to comprehend.

March 31st, 2009, 11:00 pm #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Bob, I can't wait to see the article.

I have a 1956 Omaha Cardinals team issue B&W card of Peete that is similar to my avatar of Bob Gibson. LMK if you need a scan of it.

Randy

April 1st, 2009, 5:23 pm #6

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Randy, thanks much! I really would like a scan (300 dpi if possible). If you'll send me your mailing address, I'll drop one of the Charley Peete '56s in the mail to you.