Mastro Pick-Ups

Mastro Pick-Ups

December 18th, 2008, 11:15 am #1

How did everyone do in the first installment of Mastro's Auction last night? I went hard after only one item, Cameo pepsin - Jesse Burkett but ended up the underbidder as I do many times on these types of pieces.

December 18th, 2008, 11:37 am #2

Oh-for-five, including 32nd runner-up on the T210 Jackson. Intend to hit a bit harder tonight.

December 18th, 2008, 1:01 pm #3

How did everyone do in the first installment of Mastro's Auction last night? I went hard after only one item, Cameo pepsin - Jesse Burkett but ended up the underbidder as I do many times on these types of pieces.
I lost out on the 1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson SGC 50. Whoever won that card, still got a great deal. Maybe next time.

December 18th, 2008, 1:16 pm #4

Prices seemed strong to me on the lots I was following - outbid on all.

December 18th, 2008, 1:37 pm #5

We were tracking a number of lots, and were surprised that the prices
realized on the ultra high Kalamazoo Bat and Lone Jack were so low.

Very early in the day, we spoke with a leading 19th century collector who
indicated that he was quite certain that the K Bat would reach 20K
and the Lone Jack 15K-

We suspect the consignor(s) are quite disappointed.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

December 18th, 2008, 1:57 pm #6

The Lone Jack had somewhat of a light photo as is common for the series. The plastic grade doesn't matter to many/most 19th Century collectors. The Kbats 84 was really nice but was still a common. The lower grade Kbats looked just as nice, to me. I didn't go hard after anything. I thought the prices were about right but maybe a tad low. That being said there were quite a few strong prices too. I watched the T210 Jackson for several of the extended bids and then went to sleep. Those 2 bidders were just not nice to each other.....I mean incremental bids every 27 minutes got me sleepy....Good luck to all tonight except if you are going after things I am .....best regards

December 18th, 2008, 1:59 pm #7

In my opinion 19th collectors do not worry as much about the numerical grade as 20th century collectors and worry more about the image and rarity. I believe the KBats that were offered were not as rare as others and that is why we didn't see them go higher. What a perfect opportunity for astute collectors to grab high grade cards before the 19th century collectors realize just how important they are? I assume that the Dorkind group took advantage of this opportunity, congrats.

December 18th, 2008, 4:16 pm #8

tony i was underbidder on the card at 7.5k. what was your last bid? were you willing to go 8k?

December 18th, 2008, 4:40 pm #9

Quan,

I put my initial bid around $3,000 or $3,500. I was waiting to put a bid at $7,500, but by the time I got home, it was already at $8,000. I wasn't able to go to $8,500. Maybe next time.

Tony

December 18th, 2008, 9:50 pm #10

We were 0 for 4 on items. Whilst we missed out on several nice lots, prices seemed across the board, tough to classify all items as "strong" or "week."
We look forward to the next online auction.

Josh Adams
The Adams Group