Interesting Child Ruth Image?

April 26th, 2009, 1:49 pm #11

Needed: Opinions from advanced Ruth Collectors. For your consideration a small Black & White original photo that resembles a very young George, possibly between 7-12 years old. Also in the image a girl whom maybe his sister Mamie. I suspect childhood Ruth images are quite scarce, especially with family so it may be difficult for imput. I hope the surrounding neighborhood in the photo,Mamie,etc. may offer clue's. Although the boys batting stance is righty, this could be caused by a reverse negative, a quick pose, or a playful prank for the camera?--In any event you may find this image fascinating!--thanks!
Steve, it is Sunday.

April 26th, 2009, 1:53 pm #12

Needed: Opinions from advanced Ruth Collectors. For your consideration a small Black & White original photo that resembles a very young George, possibly between 7-12 years old. Also in the image a girl whom maybe his sister Mamie. I suspect childhood Ruth images are quite scarce, especially with family so it may be difficult for imput. I hope the surrounding neighborhood in the photo,Mamie,etc. may offer clue's. Although the boys batting stance is righty, this could be caused by a reverse negative, a quick pose, or a playful prank for the camera?--In any event you may find this image fascinating!--thanks!
He'll describe the photo over the phone.

April 26th, 2009, 1:55 pm #13

Anthony,
I'm out. After I hit 50 my telepathic powers have taken a severe decline. I would be happy to post the photo for the OP if he doesn't know how to post it.
Jeff

April 26th, 2009, 1:55 pm #14

Why don't you either post a scan of the image on this board or send me a .jpg scan and I will post it for you. You went into great detail in your first post about all of the nuances and then don't show the photo? Sorry we are having some fun....It's a baseball card chat board and that is what we do. I do have a person in mind that you might communicate with that says he also doesn't like to have fun? We could even start your own place on this forum for you and him...We could call it the "no fun" section or something...

ps...Anthony- he described it in his first post and that is what led us to having no fun.
Last edited by leonl on April 26th, 2009, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 1:57 pm #15

It's all in good fun. If you trip and don't hurt youself, expect folks to chuckle ....

marty
Last edited by martyogelvie on April 27th, 2009, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 2:23 pm #16

Ok, can anyone please post the answer to this simple question? We all know Ruth was born in 1895. Whats the year or his age of the first known documented photo showing baseball equipment as holding a baseball bat, piching, catching, etc.--------thanks again!

PS:I do like the response, its justified.

April 26th, 2009, 2:43 pm #17

Hello Directly...

We site participants / board members would really like to see the photo that you've mentioned. I am sure that if you either scan and post it, or email a scan to Leon so he can post, then you're MUCH more likely to get responses from us about 'first known picture...'

The ears thing is a bit of a longstanding inside joke. The idea, belief, maybe truth is that a person's most identifiable facial feature is their ears. (Are ears part of a face? Or are they on the sides of one's head, with the face on the front??) At any rate, the science of the ears has inflicted some of us to the absurd extent that when we look at our pocket change, we sort the quarters from the nickels by looking at ears, Washington's ears are distinctly different from Jefferson's. If I'd only been told about the ears at a young age I could have learned coins much sooner!

A scan of the photo, please sir.

April 26th, 2009, 2:53 pm #18

Here is a famous image reproduced on a current card. I think this one is from 1911. There might be others earlier but this is one of his earliest. I am sure there is a yearbook or photo that this was taken from...Maybe someone will have an earlier one but this will get us started....

April 26th, 2009, 3:06 pm #19

Leon - interesting to see what appears to be a "Red Sox Champ" sign in the background of that early Ruth pic - possibly dating it to 1912 as opposed to '11? Cool shot regardless...
Last edited by jeffshep77 on April 26th, 2009, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 3:32 pm #20