"impressed"- with....bvg....grading

"impressed"- with....bvg....grading

April 28th, 2009, 9:42 pm #1

this is my second vintage bvg purchase and i have to say i like what i see!! a blazer of a card in person that bvg was right on with. i do think i picked this up for less than any sgc or psa 7, that said bvg just might have to be put on my radar for future buys...i do not see many t,e etc graded by them, but to be honest i am not looking either, maybe somebody else can comment about bvg with grading these issues, but i boght a 33 delong and now this and am very happy..does anybody else consider them when buying??

April 29th, 2009, 12:46 am #2

My experience with Beckett is that they are fair to tough on the vintage issues and I would certainly not expect to see many "overgraded" cards in the marketplace in Beckett holders, that's for sure.

April 29th, 2009, 1:58 am #3

this is my second vintage bvg purchase and i have to say i like what i see!! a blazer of a card in person that bvg was right on with. i do think i picked this up for less than any sgc or psa 7, that said bvg just might have to be put on my radar for future buys...i do not see many t,e etc graded by them, but to be honest i am not looking either, maybe somebody else can comment about bvg with grading these issues, but i boght a 33 delong and now this and am very happy..does anybody else consider them when buying??
Many of the graders and support personnel at BGS have now been there for 10 years.

Regards
Rich

April 29th, 2009, 2:47 am #4

marty...great card...I've always wanted one of those!!!

April 29th, 2009, 2:53 am #5

Just be prepared to visit the emergency room to get your hands stitched up if you try bustin' a card out of a Beckett holder!

April 29th, 2009, 11:38 am #6

Marty,
That card is Smokin'. I'm a bit curious to where it was housed before. Would you mind tellin us what company slabbed it last? Or even if it was raw?

Why did you choose Beckett? I'm very interested in your chose of Company!

"Just interested & curious!"

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

April 29th, 2009, 2:19 pm #7

I've handled enough T205 slabs to say (I believe) that BVG's grading is right on par with SGC's. I have successfully crossed every BVG slab I've purchased into an SGC holder of the same grade.

I have no qualms with buying BVG cards and I suggest my fellows collectors take a closer look at them.

Disclaimer: I'm not getting paid to shill for BVG either.

April 29th, 2009, 2:26 pm #8

There is without question this perception that BVG is a "lesser" of the third party graders. However, i feel there are many good deals to be had because generally BVG will sell 10-25% less than PSA or SGC. This is a rule of thumb, not without exceptions. Personally, i picked up a BVG t206 Cy Young that was certainly less than the same card in a PSA holder. I was happy.

JB

April 29th, 2009, 2:42 pm #9

The only BVG card I ever bought ended up being sheet cut. I have thought about picking up nicely centered copies and trying again

April 29th, 2009, 3:27 pm #10

I bought a BVG 3 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle and I was pleased with the condition of the card.