Hometown Heroes

Hometown Heroes

December 14th, 2008, 2:58 am #1

Recently I began reading up on players from my own birthplace,Kearny NJ. I already had a few cards of Dots Miller,but I also just recently added 2 more players who lived in Kearny,one of them being born there,Owen "Ownie" Carroll and the other one a graduate of the local high school,Sam Dente. Anyone else out there collect players from either their hometown and/or birthplace? I figured I'd include a scan of the Kearny Three.

Also a little footnote in Kearny High history. Ed Halicki who played 7 years in the majors in the 70's also attended Kearny High and its a little known fact,except in my house,that during his junior year he struck out my dad on 3 pitches during tryouts for the team.

Last edited by z28jd on December 14th, 2008, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 14th, 2008, 3:18 am #2

I mainly collect Zach Wheat due to his being born in my Hometown of Hamilton Missouri.
Last edited by kdixon on December 14th, 2008, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 14th, 2008, 5:02 am #3

Recently I began reading up on players from my own birthplace,Kearny NJ. I already had a few cards of Dots Miller,but I also just recently added 2 more players who lived in Kearny,one of them being born there,Owen "Ownie" Carroll and the other one a graduate of the local high school,Sam Dente. Anyone else out there collect players from either their hometown and/or birthplace? I figured I'd include a scan of the Kearny Three.

Also a little footnote in Kearny High history. Ed Halicki who played 7 years in the majors in the 70's also attended Kearny High and its a little known fact,except in my house,that during his junior year he struck out my dad on 3 pitches during tryouts for the team.

Part of my collection is players from San Diego County in California. The two pre-WWIIers that immediately come to mind are Ted Williams, and Gavvy Cravath. I also include Chief Meyers, even though he grew up in Riverside County, just over the county line from San Diego.

Four major leaguers even came from my high school (Terry Forster, Joe Price, Jim Tatum and Hayden Penn).

Steve

December 15th, 2008, 1:31 am #4

Johannes Peter Wagner was born in Mansfield (now CARNEGIE) Penna. on Feb. 24, 1874. Carnegie being a suburb of Pittsburgh. Although I don't actual live in Carnegie, I consider Him a "Hometown Hero", also being from Pittsburgh. Located in Carnegie is a large portrait of Honus painted on one of the buildings. (I think its the t206 pose). I will take a photo and post it on the forum if there is interest. Its a magnificent painting! Here is my collected Hometown Hero:

December 16th, 2008, 11:02 am #5

i collect covealeski stuff not only from my hometown but lived next door when i was a kid

December 16th, 2008, 11:39 am #6

In addition to being cousins, Lefty Grove and I were both born and raised in the small town of Lonaconing, MD.

http://www.bandkgreen.net/lefty_grove

Bob Robertson, who played for the Pirates and Mariners, lived about 10 minutes away in Frostburg, MD.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players ... =roberbo01

John Kruk, who played for the Padres and Phillies and is currently on ESPN, lived about 10 minutes away in Keyser, WV.

December 16th, 2008, 2:41 pm #7

Several players from my Canadian town have made it to the major league level. The pre-war guys include:

Billy Mountjoy
Billy Reid
Steve Dunn
George "$10" Gibson
Frank Colman

I have had a lot of fun researching these fellows over the years. Very little is to be found on obscurities Reid and Dunn. I did discover the location of Dunn's old house, but it was torn down to make way for a department/hardware store prior to when I was born. Was kind of hoping to discover a neglected attic full of trophy balls and signed documents!

December 16th, 2008, 10:17 pm #8

I come from a tiny town in upstate, NY near Cooperstown. The town is called Fort Plain. We have three former players who came from/lived in Fort Plain... Bud Fowler (one of the first African Americans to play professional baseball in the 1880s), Myron "Moose" Grimshaw (from the T-206 set) and Bill Dahlen.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

December 16th, 2008, 11:10 pm #9

When I was younger I lived in Russellville Ar, which is next to Lucas, Ar home to Dizzy and Jerome Dean. You used to be able to see there old homestead I have not been there in a very long time so I am not sure if it is still there. On another note my dads little league coach was George Kell of the Detroit Tigers.

December 16th, 2008, 11:23 pm #10

My post is OT as it's not vintage, but nonetheless ---

I grew up with Brian Rose (in the town of Dartmouth, Massachusetts) and still come across him now and then when I am back home.

Last edited by aamoniz on December 16th, 2008, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.