Hometown Heroes

December 16th, 2008, 11:39 pm #11

Recently I began reading up on players from my own birthplace,Kearny NJ. I already had a few cards of Dots Miller,but I also just recently added 2 more players who lived in Kearny,one of them being born there,Owen "Ownie" Carroll and the other one a graduate of the local high school,Sam Dente. Anyone else out there collect players from either their hometown and/or birthplace? I figured I'd include a scan of the Kearny Three.

Also a little footnote in Kearny High history. Ed Halicki who played 7 years in the majors in the 70's also attended Kearny High and its a little known fact,except in my house,that during his junior year he struck out my dad on 3 pitches during tryouts for the team.

I guess it helps when your home town is a city. Not my cards.

December 17th, 2008, 12:04 am #12

Recently I began reading up on players from my own birthplace,Kearny NJ. I already had a few cards of Dots Miller,but I also just recently added 2 more players who lived in Kearny,one of them being born there,Owen "Ownie" Carroll and the other one a graduate of the local high school,Sam Dente. Anyone else out there collect players from either their hometown and/or birthplace? I figured I'd include a scan of the Kearny Three.

Also a little footnote in Kearny High history. Ed Halicki who played 7 years in the majors in the 70's also attended Kearny High and its a little known fact,except in my house,that during his junior year he struck out my dad on 3 pitches during tryouts for the team.

Not mine:

December 21st, 2008, 1:10 am #13

"No one has ever come from my hometown"
Well of course, someone must have, including me...

Hometown: Rutland,Vermont.
Carlton Fisk is probably the closest name player, about 65 minutes, depends on what source you read.
Pat Putnam's (Tex Rangers) birthplace is a little closer in Bethel;

This is a great topic. I'd love to hear more. Any Net54ers in Woonsocket RI where Nap Lajoie was born ?, or Gettysburg for Eddie Plank?

Related to Brad's earlier post, I was putting away some 1969 topps into a binder and saw a duplicate of Bob Robertson's RC. Frostburg, MD native.
It's signed in green ink and could very well be a valid autograph. I am autograph-illiterate.
Brad, if you are interested, LMK and I will mail you the card. It'd be more appreciated near your turf I'm sure. Bob did smash 32 HR for Gastonia in 1965 and followed that up with 32 more for Asheville the next year.

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

December 21st, 2008, 1:20 am #14

" or Gettysburg for Eddie Plank? "

For the last 9 years I've lived within 10-15 miles of Gettysburg.

Was there when the PA historical society placed a plaque at Gettysburg

college where he pitched and where Connie Mack signed him.

Also in town there is a plaque by a building where he had his car dealership.

He is buried at Evergreen Cemetary in 1926 (which saw some fighting w/ Hancocks men)

across from the Soldiers cemetary.

Here is a recent pickup, the original art work made for the Helmar Brewery card series.

Last edited by qualitycards on December 21st, 2008, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 21st, 2008, 1:36 am #15

Thanks Jay...that's what I'm talking about!

I've always been interested in the history and the personal aspect of baseball. Baseball players don't have to be HOFers to be famous!!

This thread about Hometown Heroes covers both for me...

The back of Eddie Collins CJ card mentions him playing in Rutland Vermont 1906. Naturally, I had to have that card right away!

Thanks!

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

December 21st, 2008, 4:04 am #16

Hey Brian,Don't know if you know this or not but James "Sun" Daly,who is in the Old Judge set,was actually born in Rutland Vt.

December 21st, 2008, 5:22 am #17

And Harry Hulihan was born, died and interred in Rutland!

December 21st, 2008, 5:26 am #18

Gulp !!
Yikes, I did not know that.
Okay ...so... that's okay,really, I'll take a breath, do a little WIKI search on Mr. Daly and post on BST as needing this card. I'll be alright, even if my wallet won't be.

Um, thanks John/z28jd!!

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

December 21st, 2008, 1:57 pm #19

As a native Vermonter that has been living in NYC for the last 15 years I agree with you there are very few players from VT.

One guy you could consider is Ray Fisher who grew up in Middlebury. The back of his CJ even attests to him being a die-hard Vermonter.

And of the last 30 years there was a pitcher by the name of Len Whitehouse out of Burlington. I have a signed '84 Topps by him.

And there have been a few great Minor Leaguers that came though there. Paul O'Neil and Chris Sabo played for the Vt Reds. I met a young Ken Griffey Jr when he played for the VT Mariners and got a mini-bat signed from him. So there are baseball roots in Vt!

Edited to add: Jean Dubuc was born in St Johnsbury and played for St. Michael's, He would be another Vt guy... and had quite the history..

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Dubuc" rel="nofollow"></a>
Last edited by Chesbro41 on December 21st, 2008, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 22nd, 2008, 1:13 am #20

From 1945 - 1960, Phil Rizzuto was my nearby neighbor....only 2 blocks away in Hillside, NJ.
He was a fabulous guy to have as neighbor. He did a lot for us youngsters and was a great
role model....he was everyone's hero. Especially, when he won the AL MVP in 1950.

My biggest thrill with Phil was in April 1984 when he and I were on the same flight to Chicago.
We enjoyed 2 hours in 1st class....reminiscing about our old neighborhood and "talkin baseball".
Actually, he did most of the talking and I did most of the listening.

TED Z