Have you ever bid to protect your cards?

April 30th, 2009, 12:30 am #21

I just placed a bid (in one of the current auctions) on a card similar to a card I currently own. I did this because it is currently too cheap and I would be delighted to own another at its current price. How many times do you find yourself bidding in an auction to protect a card you own? By the way, I did not do this to run up the price, rather to own another and cost average my investment. If I don't end up with it, then I guess I helped myself anyway.
Not ethical, but there's no way to stop it.

And as long as you're paying the bill what you do with your money is all your call.

April 30th, 2009, 12:37 am #22

I just placed a bid (in one of the current auctions) on a card similar to a card I currently own. I did this because it is currently too cheap and I would be delighted to own another at its current price. How many times do you find yourself bidding in an auction to protect a card you own? By the way, I did not do this to run up the price, rather to own another and cost average my investment. If I don't end up with it, then I guess I helped myself anyway.
Such an act would be blasphemy in this highly ethical hobby.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

April 30th, 2009, 12:43 am #23

Brian, where the hell have you been? I expected you to rear your ugly heel a few weeks back! Seriously, congrats on that one.

April 30th, 2009, 12:54 am #24

"What is the ethical issue, as long as you pay the bill if you happen to win it? Many collectors go after duplicates for trade bait."

I agree

April 30th, 2009, 12:56 am #25

Hi Jeff,
I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger lately.... I've been traveling, raising kids, and changing my computer system at work, so cards have taken a back seat. I even skipped going to the Final Four for the first time since 2005 when the Heels last won.... (My Mom is still pissed at me for not taking her). Luckily I was at the Masters for a couple of days of relaxation.
I hope you and the family are well....

Talk to you soon. Brian

PS Quit bidding up the Red Hindu Cobb...

April 30th, 2009, 1:02 am #26

Hey Brian- hope you are well. Wondered why we haven't heard from you in a while.

April 30th, 2009, 1:11 am #27

Hi Barry,
Have a Junior Mint.... They are very refreshing....After all; the Summer of George (the Hamptons) is right around the corner. Be well Brian

PS Prickly Pete is waiting for you....

April 30th, 2009, 1:13 am #28

I'm in the Hamptons right now...it's been cold this month but it's getting warmer. Have to pick me up some of those Hampton's tomatoes.

April 30th, 2009, 1:17 am #29

Mom would be proud..... It was 88 here on Saturday and in the low 80's ever sense.... I'm sending it your way. Have a good weekend.
Be well Brian

PS LA is loading fine here in NC.... Want me to place a few bids for you???

PS 2 watch out for shrinkage

April 30th, 2009, 1:24 am #30

I have my eye on Jack Kennedy's golf clubs...I'm thinking I may go as high as $10,000 on them.