Dinner With Kevin Saucier

Dinner With Kevin Saucier

October 12th, 2007, 10:07 pm #1

I was fortunate enough to have dinner with Kevin Saucier(and Anthony Nex) in Los Angeles last week. Kevin seems to be pushing forward with his idea of a "seal of approval" on graded cards. A significant if not substantial collector is paying Kevin on a per day basis(or at least willing to pay him on a per day basis)to come to his house and go through as many of his already graded cards as he can. I know who it is but will let him disclose.
My intention is that as a condition of purchase on any "expensive" card I buy that I have doubts about, to make the purchase contingent upon Kevin's seal of approval. I am not having him go through my already graded cards.
I was also given a nice gift by Kevin--a T206 Back with a flip with my name on it, my birth date year and a real Honus cert number(I think).
Thank God Kevin has not crossed to the dark side although he did say he is inundated with requests from people to teach them what he knows.
Don't mean to neglect Anthony who is the one of the very best people I have ever met in the hobby. Three ex-LTSers at one dinner! Don't think I am giving away anything confidential by saying they both were down on what is happening with the grading companies.
A lot more but I will stop there.

October 12th, 2007, 10:13 pm #2

Both Anthony and Kevin are top notch human beings.

October 12th, 2007, 11:38 pm #3

I was fortunate enough to have dinner with Kevin Saucier(and Anthony Nex) in Los Angeles last week. Kevin seems to be pushing forward with his idea of a "seal of approval" on graded cards. A significant if not substantial collector is paying Kevin on a per day basis(or at least willing to pay him on a per day basis)to come to his house and go through as many of his already graded cards as he can. I know who it is but will let him disclose.
My intention is that as a condition of purchase on any "expensive" card I buy that I have doubts about, to make the purchase contingent upon Kevin's seal of approval. I am not having him go through my already graded cards.
I was also given a nice gift by Kevin--a T206 Back with a flip with my name on it, my birth date year and a real Honus cert number(I think).
Thank God Kevin has not crossed to the dark side although he did say he is inundated with requests from people to teach them what he knows.
Don't mean to neglect Anthony who is the one of the very best people I have ever met in the hobby. Three ex-LTSers at one dinner! Don't think I am giving away anything confidential by saying they both were down on what is happening with the grading companies.
I think Kevin must have god-like qualities.

Three ex-LTSers? We all know what LTS is. Actually, I know what LTS is, I was denied membership to that exclusive group. Didn't quite pass muster for that one.

October 12th, 2007, 11:43 pm #4

I think what Kevin is doing is admirable, and I hope he can turn it into a successful endeavor.

But of course this will raise a lot of questions, so let me get the ball rolling: SGC encapsulates a card and says it's good. Kevin looks at the card and says it's bad.

Why must we assume Kevin is right and SGC is wrong?

October 12th, 2007, 11:45 pm #5

Okay, I'll bite. What the hell is LTS. I have seen that acronym thrown around in the past, but have never been privy to the info on this group (and frankly never cared until Eric's post roused my interest).

October 12th, 2007, 11:59 pm #6

Eric,

I wouldn't sweat it--I believe Anthony and Kevin quit the board. I on the other hand got in an argument with the president band was thrown off. This was a few months after I had resigned voluntarily.

Bruce,

LTS stants for Lets Talk Sportscards-a members only message board founded by Tom Papa who after I got removed from the CU message boards founded LTS to give me a place to post(true story). I then had a falling out with Papa--quit once and was later kicked off. Both Al Crisafulli who posts here and Anthony are past presidents of LTS.

Barry,

I am not saying we should. I am just paying someone for a second opinion because I believe SGC and PSA can make mistakes.

October 13th, 2007, 12:07 am #7

Everybody makes mistakes- even Kevin probably makes one once in awhile. But I have a problem with this scenario, one we've already discussed.

If a consignor asks me to auction an expensive card, and it is slabbed by SGC (who I respect the most), and the winning bidder gives it to Kevin, who then says he thinks it might be bad, and then the buyer wants to return it to me- I have more of a headache than I think I am willing to deal with.

And what do I tell my consignor? Would Kevin remove the card from the holder to examine it carefully? Do I then have to tell my consignor not only is he getting his card back, but to make matters worse, he's getting it back raw?

Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, just trying to cover all my bases.

October 13th, 2007, 12:25 am #8

I repeat my point from the prior thread. Without taking a card out of a holder your ability to detect alterations, particularly trimming, is severely limited. I believe even Kevin acknowedges this.

October 13th, 2007, 12:39 am #9

A message board that has presidents? Sounds pretty lame.

October 13th, 2007, 12:44 am #10

I agree Jeff. 80% of that concept is 50% lame.