Colgan's Chips Premium REA

April 26th, 2009, 9:07 pm #11

I either have missed comments on this or it has gone without comment yet but REA is auctioning one of the Premiums and has the story of why Adams-Pepsin Tutti Frutti Gum issued it as their parent bought Colgan's right at the time of marketing and issue. So far as I know this is the first time the premium has been identified.

What do you all think?
Time will probably prove me wrong, and it won't be the first time. This very well could be the thing they are describing on the backs of the cards, but it just seems wierd to me that there would be different products advertised.
-Rhett

April 26th, 2009, 9:25 pm #12

I either have missed comments on this or it has gone without comment yet but REA is auctioning one of the Premiums and has the story of why Adams-Pepsin Tutti Frutti Gum issued it as their parent bought Colgan's right at the time of marketing and issue. So far as I know this is the first time the premium has been identified.

What do you all think?
While I wouldn't bet my collection on it; all evidence points towards this being the piece advertised on the reverse of the E270's.

Autosales was attempting to form a monopoly and was either buying or signing contracts with gum and candy companies to market products in their vending machines. History shows that Colgan's was phased out within a couple years after being bought by Autosales.

The advertisement on the premium for Adam's was most likely used to market a brand of gum that Autosales felt would be more successful in the future.

April 26th, 2009, 10:19 pm #13

What do you all think?
You guys may all be right, I'm just saying there is some leap of faith here when there is no solid evidence. Which there isn't. Either way it's clear the item is a premium, and a very cool one at that.

April 26th, 2009, 10:38 pm #14

What do you all think?
I very much enjoyed John Spano's article in OC (I assume that it is John S. who posted above), and wasn't even aware of the 208 backs. I did, however, notice something that didn't seem correct. You stated that Colgan's were 1 7/16" in diameter, or about the size of a silver dollar. But they are of course smaller than that, about the size of a quarter. Otherwise, it was a terrific article.

April 26th, 2009, 10:57 pm #15

What do you all think?
I didn't realize the OC was already sent out. Anyways, the cards are 1-7/16".
-Rhett

Here are a few of the 208's...
Last edited by rhettmyeakley on April 26th, 2009, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 11:20 pm #16

What do you all think?
Rhett- unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, they are smaller than a silver dollar (but they are bigger than a quarter, I am wrong).
Last edited by barrysloate on April 26th, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2009, 12:01 am #17

What do you all think?
Barry, they are almost the exact same size as a silver dollar.

April 27th, 2009, 12:08 am #18

What do you all think?
I am shocked. I will have to see it to believe it (I do believe you, but a silver dollar seems huge to me).

April 27th, 2009, 12:33 am #19

What do you all think?
I was looking at the checklist on the Old Cardboard site and for what it's worth I can confirm the existence of Unglaub (Lincoln) in the E270-1 Red Border set.

April 27th, 2009, 1:04 am #20

What do you all think?
Barry,
By chance are you thinking of a 50 cent piece? Those are quite a bit bigger.