Anyone Collect Stanford Pottery Banks?

December 29th, 2007, 12:56 pm #11

I have the Indians Gold Tooth bank and a rare Detroit Tigers Human head bank and would like to add a third soon. The Pirates bank is probably next in line as it is the most affordable. Anybody else have any? I would love to see some pictures if you do.
The Athletics banks and the Boston Braves bank with the full headress in the first picture are the crown jewels of the collection. They both sell for BIG $. The braves bank has sold for $8,500 and the A's bank $4,000. The second picture is a better photo of the man head bank I have.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

December 29th, 2007, 1:04 pm #12

I have the Indians Gold Tooth bank and a rare Detroit Tigers Human head bank and would like to add a third soon. The Pirates bank is probably next in line as it is the most affordable. Anybody else have any? I would love to see some pictures if you do.
I'm amazed at the prices these fetch.

December 29th, 2007, 2:25 pm #13

Here is a photo that shows the Tigers mascot bank, Braves Gold tooth, and Pirates bank. The braves and Indians bank are exactly alike, only the name is differnt but the Braves bank sell for about twice as much as the Indians. This collection of four sold in a Robert Edwards auction a few years back for approx $2300.
[/IMG]

December 29th, 2007, 3:27 pm #14

I think these banks are great. I don't collect them but sure like seeing them. Thanks for sharing the pictures and info.

December 30th, 2007, 7:30 am #15

Forgot I had these two... Here are a couple of very rare Stanford Pottery prototype pieces. They are solid statues, and are not banks. Both are quite heavy, and made up of more of a chalk-type material than the typical hollow ceramic.

These are widely believed to have been salesman's samples, but I am not so sure that this true. The colors are more muted than the common banks, and they are not glossy (more of a matte finish). These two are interesting and rather mysterious, to say the least.

One final interesting note... the Braves version of the Stanford Pottery Bank simply has the name "Braves" painted on top of the embossed "Indians" on the chest. You have to look rather closely to see it. This Braves variation is not embossed at all.

December 30th, 2007, 7:53 am #16

Mike:

I have to uncover my other Stanford Pottery pieces, which are still packed away. In addition to those 2 prototypes, I have the Indians, Pirates, Brooklyn Bums, Braves, Tigers Mascot, Tigers Man Face and Generic Man Face. Once I unpack those, I will post pics.

It took lots of time, money and research to "complete" this much of the set. The Braves Full Headdress and Athletics White Elephant are Figural Collectors' Holy Grails, and are the equivalent to the T-206 Wagner and Plank (to state it in overly dramatic terms...)

In all seriousness, I think it would be easier obtain the Wagner and Plank than these 2 statues (albeit A LOT more expensive!)

Rob... Thanks for posting those pics of your Stanford Pottery Collection. I always liked the fact that no two statues are quite the same, and that the shading and detail can actually vary quite a bit. I'm guessing that nobody knows this better than you!

December 30th, 2007, 3:13 pm #17

I cant wait to see the pictures of your collection Mark. I could of held on to your banks for you instead of keeping them packed away(wink wink). Do you have any other figural items or do you stick to Stanford Pottery?

December 30th, 2007, 7:20 pm #18

Brock... The Stanford Pottery pieces are among my favorites, but I collect the whole gamut of figurals baseball items. Figurals and vintage Pennants are the two areas I love the most.

In addition to the Stanford pieces, I collect Hartlands, Bobbing Heads, early Baseball Statues (1870s - 1950s), early Trophies, and things like the Babe Ruth Clock, Trophy Baseball Radio, Darktown Battery Bank, etc.

After getting the rare Mickey Mantle Lamp, I was finally done with Hartlands. It was a real challenge to collect a nice unrestored exemple of each, before the days of Ebay (would have been a lot less expensive today!)

Tops on my current wantlist... Spalding Catcher and Pitcher Trophies, the Walter Johnson Trophy, Ty Cobb Stall & Dean Trophy Cup, and those two impossible Stanford Potteries mentioned above. Even though these are high-ticket items, I love the less-expensive figurals just as much.

December 30th, 2007, 7:52 pm #19

Sounds like you have a very impressive collection Mark. Seems that you and I have similiar taste in memorabilia. That Babe Ruth clock you mentioned is one of the best looking pieces out there if you ask me. Would love to get that someday down the road.
Last edited by griffis16 on January 3rd, 2008, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2007, 8:50 pm #20

It took me a looooong time to finally get mine. The Ruth Clock is just such a popular piece, and so many people seem to want one. I had to fail in about a dozen Catalogue Auctions before I finally snagged one on ebay this year (at a price I could live with).

Try to be patient, and go the Ebay route, as you'll pay about $1,000 less than via the Catalogue Auctions. It is a visually stunning piece when you see it in person, and is a staple item for collectors of figural pieces.