14 inch c1910 baseball plate

April 22nd, 2008, 10:56 am #1

I recently bought the 14 inch diameter plate below, should arrive any day now. Based on the uniforms and quailty, I'd guess it's about c1910. I'm very curious, has anyone seen this plate before? I have not. The art style, and the vignette of the title "Two Men Down" remind me of the yard long style prints of the same vintage. Although I think those are American, whereas this is German. At the bottom is another 12 inch c1900 baseball plate I got last summer in Adamstown PA.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks on April 22nd, 2008, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 22nd, 2008, 5:57 pm #2

I have never seen that type of plate (I don't look that much for plates though) before but it's beautiful.....

April 22nd, 2008, 10:47 pm #3

I recently bought the 14 inch diameter plate below, should arrive any day now. Based on the uniforms and quailty, I'd guess it's about c1910. I'm very curious, has anyone seen this plate before? I have not. The art style, and the vignette of the title "Two Men Down" remind me of the yard long style prints of the same vintage. Although I think those are American, whereas this is German. At the bottom is another 12 inch c1900 baseball plate I got last summer in Adamstown PA.

Handsome plates Carlton. You find some real treasures. I know nothing about them however

April 22nd, 2008, 11:13 pm #4

The first is the best looking baseball plate I've ever seen. Like a T3 in plate form.

April 23rd, 2008, 3:42 am #5

Absolutely gorgeous. Amazing the variety of baseball stuff out there. Congrats on the pickup.

April 24th, 2008, 3:31 am #6

Thank you all for your comments. Rob Fouch, you are right there is a wide variety. Finding things never seen before is one of the greatest things about the hobby.

Germany sure did capitalize on baseball early on. It seems they found a subject that sold well in the United States and started pump'n out stuff. There's this plate, plus the one below it which I think was produced in Vienna, same region as Germany, then there's the c1890 bisque Huebach baseball statues seen in the photo below (courtesy Robert Edward Auctions) Scottland did the same American marketing with their Stevengraphs, the little woven silk pictures. They produced them featuring most every sport including baseball, and what appears to be American football.

I'm still hoping to hear from someone who has a reference on my plate.
RobertEdwardAuctions.com
Stevengraphs.com

Last edited by CarltonHendricks on April 24th, 2008, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2008, 3:51 am #7

Carlton... Where did you obtain that beautiful plate? I saw it listed somewhere recently, and just cannot put my finger on where I saw it. Was it from Ebay, or a Catalogue Auction? I should have paid closer attention, as this one is truly special.

April 25th, 2008, 4:36 am #8

Never did see it come up for auction on eBay, but that very plate (or its identical twin) was indeed the subject of fairly lengthy discussion on one of the eBay member forums a few months back. If memory serves, it was the pottery and ceramics collectors on the "Collectibles" board there who were trying to nail down its origin, with a minority opining that it was of more recent manufacture.

We did some extensive searching for that debate, but unfortunately, the thread seems to have been deleted from the boards there.

April 25th, 2008, 5:52 am #9

Interesting, Butch.... that is the very reason I did not pay closer attention at the time. Though the artwork is stunning and appears vintage, the "Two Men Down" caption just looks like something more recently done.

I have not seen this style actually used on period pieces like that... it has more of an intentionally antique feel, and a possibly contrived nostalgic appearance.

Carlton... are there any markings on this plate that would indicate its true vintage?

April 25th, 2008, 10:15 am #10

Thanks Mark. I was down at the local Goodwill dropping off some clothes to donate when I noticed it on the half price table....Just kidding, I got it on eBay.

OK so, we have conjecture. I know that's hard to believe on net 54. But that's kind of what I wanted, some discussion on it anyway...Alright so far Mark (Login perezfan) seems to give it a vote of confidence, and wishes he'd have paid closer attention to it, and that it is "truly special"

Then Butch and Co. hold that there was lengthy discussion now absent, that produced a "minority" of Pottery/Porcelain aficionados who suspected the plate contemporary.

Then Anonymous (Login Perez fan), who has the same perezfan login as Mark, expresses doubt it is a period piece based on the style of the "Two Men Down" caption vignette. And feels it has "an intentionally antique feel, and a possibly contrived nostalgic appearance"

Thank you all for those opinions, however I'm not persuaded it is contemporary by them. We do not have access to Butch and Co.'s referenced discussion, so we do not know what the minority dissenters based there opinion on. Moreover, their "minority" status implies they didn't persuade many of their peers in the Pottery and Porcelain community.

Neither do I find Anonymous (Login perezfan)'s position a compelling argument, based on a 1909 yard long style print in my collection titled "The High Hurdles" by Hibberd VB Kline, which employs a remarkably similar title vignette seen below.

Anonymous , In answer to your question if there are any markings. That is a very good question. I have not received the plate yet, coming from a gal in Canada (who may know about the lost discussion) However I have hope there is a marking based on the photo below with the red circle around what appears to be a makers mark.

Once I get it in my hand (any day now) so I can examine it in person perhaps I'll be able to glean more information to establish it's vintage and origin.