Moderators: WildeLoverStoff, mammaof3, thischarmlessgirl, spyderfyngers, AllYouNeedIsMods, Kate

The Future Of AYNIM?

January 22nd, 2018, 8:37 pm #1

Hello all!

AllYouNeedIsMorrissey - aka AYNIM - was created as a more friendly and welcoming place for Morrissey fans to gather and discuss Morrissey and the Smiths. And it enjoyed a very lively period for quite awhile!! But lately, many of the original members have disappeared and I think some are beginning to feel the welcoming feeling is losing it's sparkle.

For some, the lure of other more vibrant and active communities on Twitter and Facebook were the reason for leaving. For others, a lost of interest in the man (sometimes due to comments by Morrissey himself) caused them to take a step back from their fandom. So... as some the old membership moves away, for whatever reason, I am wondering what the future holds for AYNIM? The original creator of AYNIM has stepped back, but the domain name is paid up for 2 years... so I am committed to staying on here as a mod at least until it's up for renewal. But what then? Is this a place worth continuing to support?

I'm looking for some feedback on what changes we might need to make to create a more welcoming and positive community here at AYNIM. I actually think we do a pretty good job of keeping comments about Moz fairly positive.... or at least civil.... most of the time. But there is an air of negativity growing in parts of the forum that I think is off-putting. I worry this isn't encouraging new members - or even old members, for that matter - to join in the discussion.

Is it possible to bring back the kind of community this once was? Or is the message board just a dinosaur?

Even if you haven't posted before, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,
mammaof3

January 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm #2

2 years? That's actually very sad. I think AYNIM is fantastic. If anyone new actually looks at the posts then they would quickly know that everyone here gets along and there's honest, intelligent and open debate. I think it's correct that forums are dying off as a way of fandom and as a method communicating your thoughts. Social media has taken over. Forums are the old social media. I think Social Media is the answer as to why people have stopped coming here and why nobody particularly wants to post here anymore. Forums are old. Twitter and Facebook offer a billion things (and more) to people. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think anyone will join in their masses in the next 2 years. We may get one or two new users at best. Morrissey is fairly niche. Forums are even more niche....Remember fanzines? Do they still exist? I have waited and waited for more people to come, but I have realised that our community is what it is. It isn't going to expand and I secretly think each and everyone of us on here knows that already.

The old members have gone and are no longer contributing. I really am confused with the whole "negativity" view of the forum. The old members are welcome to contribute to anything and everything, but simply don't. A lot of changes and events have happened over the past 12 months with Morrissey. We have quite rightly welcomed debate. Nobody has been at each others throats. Nobody has tried to shut down anything. It's all been very polite, transparent and eloquent actually. I have no problems with differences of opinion as I personally don't see it as "bad". I may see it as "wrong" if it's an opinion I truly do not agree with, but that doesn't mean I have to shut down the debate as it's becoming an increasingly worrying threat to all free speech in the 21st century.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Last edited by DAVIE on January 22nd, 2018, 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

January 22nd, 2018, 9:33 pm #3

First and foremost I take my hat of to the moderation on this site, it is a paragon of how moderation should work on a Morrissey website, or indeed any website!

Morrissey himself realises that his opinions are polarising, when you then add misquoting and constant bias in the mix, as he himself said, he is portrayed as a monster and thoroughly nasty human being devoid of any humanity.

Time moves on, technology moves on, life moves on, some want to appreciate Morrissey in a different way that suits their age or ethnicity, I am sure the Latinos have their own things going on, same as younger folks are going to use different methods and social media as their outlet.

Morrissey has lots to offer, a career as long as his can be picked over whilst waiting for the next great thing! And Morrissey has many great songs yet to be recorded although he experiments with new sounds and not everything will be to everyone’s taste, he still puts out great songs on a regular basis!

I don’t know what the future holds? I am a diehard fan who knew from the first listen original The Smiths that Morrissey was the singer and songwriter for the soundtrack of my life! I wish Morrissey, his family, band and all true fans all the very best, if I see a Morrissey t shirt in the wild, I always stop to speak with such a rare kindred spirit. In a way that is what the forum is, a bunch of like(ish) minded tshirt wearing fans!

I will be a Morrissey fan until the day I die so count me in for any site that wishes to discuss him and his work in a positive light.

January 22nd, 2018, 10:58 pm #4

DAVIE wrote:2 years? That's actually very sad. I think AYNIM is fantastic. If anyone new actually looks at the posts then they would quickly know that everyone here gets along and there's honest, intelligent and open debate. I think it's correct that forums are dying off as a way of fandom and as a method communicating your thoughts. Social media has taken over. Forums are the old social media. I think Social Media is the answer as to why people have stopped coming here and why nobody particularly wants to post here anymore. Forums are old. Twitter and Facebook offer a billion things (and more) to people. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think anyone will join in their masses in the next 2 years. We may get one or two new users at best. Morrissey is fairly niche. Forums are even more niche....Remember fanzines? Do they still exist? I have waited and waited for more people to come, but I have realised that our community is what it is. It isn't going to expand and I secretly think each and everyone of us on here knows that already.

The old members have gone and are no longer contributing. I really am confused with the whole "negativity" view of the forum. The old members are welcome to contribute to anything and everything, but simply don't. A lot of changes and events have happened over the past 12 months with Morrissey. We have quite rightly welcomed debate. Nobody has been at each others throats. Nobody has tried to shut down anything. It's all been very polite, transparent and eloquent actually. I have no problems with differences of opinion as I personally don't see it as "bad". I may see it as "wrong" if it's an opinion I truly do not agree with, but that doesn't mean I have to shut down the debate as it's becoming an increasingly worrying threat to all free speech in the 21st century.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen.

Just to be clear.... when I mentioned that I am committed to moderating for the next 2 years, I'm not saying I'll quit or shut the whole thing down after 2 years - just that when it comes time to renew the domain, it'll be up to the community to decide if it's worth supporting the board by helping to cover the cost - cause it isn't much but I don't plan on paying the cost of it alone.

I agree that message boards are old school, and therefore not as popular as facebook/twitter/instagram, etc.... but there are a lot more "guests" viewing the board than there are posting. That's how it has always been, I know.... but I still validate new members fairly regularly, and rarely see anyone new posting here. Why is that? Are we not welcoming, or are people just not interested in joining in? Just curious and would be interested to hear from some other folks.

January 23rd, 2018, 2:02 pm #5

I love Morrissey. Can't see that changing, especially after what, oh, 35 years of first seeing The Smiths and being captivated by our man.

That doesn't mean to say I *have* to agree with absolutely everything he says or does.

I have the greatest respect for him, and always try and follow the "If you can't say something nice..." adage.

The perception I have regarding changes on here, is that recently it seems that unless you can categorically, unquestioningly agree with absolutely EVERYTHING our man says or does, then you will get a lot of grief. Respectful discussion seems to have taken a hike.

I don't have time for that in real life, let alone on the internet so that's the reason I've taken a step back.

I like to check in, I guess it's just not so often that I like to comment anymore.

Thanks for all you do, mammaof3. Your very measured approach is always very appreciated. Thank you!

January 23rd, 2018, 7:44 pm #6

A small note, previously a few years back when Quiffa stepped back from this site I pm’d a mod (name withheld unless requested) and offered to pay the upkeep of this site, I was advised thanks but not to bother, My offer does of course still stand!

Reggie

January 23rd, 2018, 9:48 pm #7

And I will help too! But of course when it comes to the crunch we should all be given a democratic say on who wants the forum to stay, who wants to pay and who wants to contribute towards the forum in whatever way they possibly can.
Last edited by DAVIE on January 23rd, 2018, 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

January 23rd, 2018, 9:59 pm #8

My gut feeling is, if, and it’s a big if Mama wants to keep the show on the road, then that’s great...The forums will likely diminish, if you take the Sh1tp0sts out of other Morrissey sites you will find they are quite sparsely supported too, but especially because many find the anti-Moz bias a complete turn off, so use social media.

I am happy to foot the bill, I offered some years back and my mind hasn’t changed, It goes without saying I would never expect any different treatment to what I get now (in case think I want to sway things in my favour) I did pm in private then, and am only posting in public now as it is a current topic up for public discussion.
Last edited by Reggie Peppery on January 23rd, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2018, 10:19 pm #9

Kathleen wrote:I love Morrissey. Can't see that changing, especially after what, oh, 35 years of first seeing The Smiths and being captivated by our man.

That doesn't mean to say I *have* to agree with absolutely everything he says or does.

I have the greatest respect for him, and always try and follow the "If you can't say something nice..." adage.

The perception I have regarding changes on here, is that recently it seems that unless you can categorically, unquestioningly agree with absolutely EVERYTHING our man says or does, then you will get a lot of grief. Respectful discussion seems to have taken a hike.

I don't have time for that in real life, let alone on the internet so that's the reason I've taken a step back.

I like to check in, I guess it's just not so often that I like to comment anymore.

Thanks for all you do, mammaof3. Your very measured approach is always very appreciated. Thank you!
Thanks for putting that into words, Kathleen. I suspect that is a feeling shared by others....

Always enjoy your posts, though, so I hope you'll keep popping in now and then, at least!!
Last edited by mammaof3 on January 23rd, 2018, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2018, 10:21 pm #10

Reggie Peppery wrote:A small note, previously a few years back when Quiffa stepped back from this site I pm’d a mod (name withheld unless requested) and offered to pay the upkeep of this site, I was advised thanks but not to bother, My offer does of course still stand!

Reggie
DAVIE wrote:And I will help too! But of course when it comes to the crunch we should all be given a democratic say on who wants the forum to stay, who wants to pay and who wants to contribute towards the forum in whatever way they possibly can.

Thanks, guys. I will definitely keep that in mind. ;)