Moderators: WildeLoverStoff, mammaof3, thischarmlessgirl, spyderfyngers, AllYouNeedIsMods, Kate

July 14th, 2011, 4:58 pm #11

Surely just a popular South-American christian name?

July 14th, 2011, 5:08 pm #12

one of my fave childhood memories

August 24th, 2011, 10:36 am #13

this is the song I karaoke most B-) & I have always assumed that the writer of it idolized

the original Hector as well

August 27th, 2011, 4:13 pm #14

Michelle wrote:Silly Old Hector...

Pedobear loved to watch while Hector strummed his instrument...

C'mon, it's such a pedobear picture XD

June 16th, 2012, 11:09 am #15

maccabee wrote:(I searched this site and the other site and did not see this topic, but if it's there, please forgive.) Musing on FOTGTD and Hector as name choice. I looked up "Hector" in a few dictionaries, and came up with this. According to Merriam-Webster, "...gangs of rowdy street toughs who roamed London in the 17th century and called themselves "Hectors." They may have thought themselves gallant young blades, but to the general populace they were swaggering bullies who intimidated passersby and vandalized property."

So Hector is a quite appropriate choice, given the song. Moz is such a wordsmith, gotta love it.
I had never heard that before! It's so appropriate that Moz used "Hector" for the character in the song, since we all know that he loves dual meanings in words/phrases, and this is a shout-out to both British and LA cultures. ^_^

June 18th, 2012, 10:15 am #16

"Strumming his instrument"?? Oh, please....

And I get accused of lowering the tone! (As if...)

(Snort!) TD xx

June 28th, 2012, 9:05 pm #17

maccabee wrote:(I searched this site and the other site and did not see this topic, but if it's there, please forgive.) Musing on FOTGTD and Hector as name choice. I looked up "Hector" in a few dictionaries, and came up with this. According to Merriam-Webster, "...gangs of rowdy street toughs who roamed London in the 17th century and called themselves "Hectors." They may have thought themselves gallant young blades, but to the general populace they were swaggering bullies who intimidated passersby and vandalized property."

So Hector is a quite appropriate choice, given the song. Moz is such a wordsmith, gotta love it.
Hectoring is a common enough phrase in english meaning intensive intimidation, The Hectors were akin to the Vandals tribe who gave us Vandalise or The Berserkers army who gave us Berserk etc... I too love Morrisseys use of English in such matters (my own favourite is Spring Heeled Jim "a housebreaker"

Great idea for a thread someone...Favourite Morrissey Phrase or Use of English.

Reggie

WHOOPS - Just seen a thread 2 down on Spring Heeled Jim... I ain't a frinkapedeia regular so forgive my faux pas.
Last edited by Reggie Pepper on June 28th, 2012, 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

December 24th, 2013, 11:01 am #18

I was rereading Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies the other day-which used to freak me out as a kid- and I had to smile when I got to letter H. :P

September 7th, 2015, 10:43 pm #19

Auntie_Mabel wrote: I was rereading Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies the other day-which used to freak me out as a kid- and I had to smile when I got to letter H. :P

Oh yes! That's a more likely candidate than the Greek charioteer god! Poor Hector! Even if he did steal from the rich and the poor, and the not very rich, and the very poor (such a great line!)

Nice find, auntie Mabel!
Last edited by 0000 on September 7th, 2015, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2015, 4:10 pm #20

Auntie_Mabel wrote: I was rereading Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies the other day-which used to freak me out as a kid- and I had to smile when I got to letter H. :P <br /><br />
Nice one!!

Love Edward Gorey.... :D