Moderators: WildeLoverStoff, mammaof3, thischarmlessgirl, spyderfyngers, AllYouNeedIsMods, Kate

Damien Dempsey

February 27th, 2018, 9:53 pm #1

George Bray @GeorgeBray
49 minutes ago
Damien Dempsey reveals in his interview today that he played for #Morrissey right after the #Dublin gig last week!

https://youtu.be/gUQx_i-g5lk

#morrisseytour2018 #MozArmy #Culture

February 28th, 2018, 4:23 pm #2

Thanks Mama, a really interesting clip! I love a lot of the old Irish tunes too and many’s a great night spent listening to some real and genuine world class musicians in the pub, even at the house sometimes (they’d drink you dry mind you, not that a drop was grudged I must add, music should be enjoyed live whenever possible and the least you can do is wet their whistle as they play)

I hope Morrisseys mother was well enough to travel and have a rare old time listening along with her son to the good old tunes! Life doesn’t get better than that!

Edit: This spurred me on to start listening to the old Irish songs of my youth (like many Scots I am descended from Irish immigrants) I’ll do a thread another day of maybe a dozen good old “drinking” songs, and maybe a wee shock or two!

Anyways leaving is a common theme in Irish and Scottish songs, sometimes the leaving is necessary in times of famine or hardship, but that makes it even harder to leave loved ones behind, this song sounds like it was written for a Sweetheart a man is leaving behind, perhaps more tragically it was his Mother...

The leaving of Nancy by The Fureys

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JcH7pBDvdYc

Edit 2: That’s done it now! It’s gonna be a night of Irish and Scottish folk music, no work tomorrow so beer time!
Last edited by Reggie Peppery on February 28th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

February 28th, 2018, 5:03 pm #3

Reggie Peppery wrote:Edit: This spurred me on to start listening to the old Irish songs of my youth (like many Scots I am descended from Irish immigrants) I’ll do a thread another day of maybe a dozen good old “drinking” songs, and maybe a wee shock or two!

Anyways leaving is a common theme in Irish and Scottish songs, sometimes the leaving is necessary in times of famine or hardship, but that makes it even harder to leave loved ones behind, this song sounds like it was written for a Sweetheart a man is leaving behind, perhaps more tragically it was his Mother...

The leaving of Nancy by The Fureys

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JcH7pBDvdYc
Nice cover! Leaving Nancy is a favorite of mine, too.... but it was actually written by a Scotsman, Eric Bogle. And yes, it's about leaving his mother when he emigrated to Australia. :)

February 28th, 2018, 5:09 pm #4

Yeah, there is a tremendous crossover, I think The Fureys is a better known version, and the Irish and Scottish lives are so intertwined that it is, to me, kind of one and the same (as an Irish Scot) but you are right to point out!

Righty-ho I’ll be drinking myself to a standstill tonight so I’d best not drink and post or I’ll get 3 points! I will do a thread with a good dozen folk songs of my youth over the weekend, but for tonight I’m off to listen to them myself...First up? The green fields of France!

A 13 year old girl does the song some justice...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9B8wFuZJyMo
Last edited by Reggie Peppery on February 28th, 2018, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2018, 5:17 pm #5

Reggie Peppery wrote:Yeah, there is a tremendous crossover, I think The Fureys is a better known version, and the Irish and Scottish lives are so intertwined that it is, to me, kind of one and the same (as an Irish Scot) but you are right to point out!

Righty-ho I’ll be drinking myself to a standstill tonight so I’d best not drink and post or I’ll get 3 points! I will do a thread with a good dozen folk songs of my youth over the weekend, but for tonight I’m off to listen to them myself...First up? The green fields of France!
Nice choice! Although you might end up crying in your drink.

Look forward to the folk music thread....might make some additions of my own. In my younger days, Irish and Scottish folk music was spinning on my record player right along with the Beatles and The Smiths... good stuff. :thumbs
Last edited by mammaof3 on February 28th, 2018, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 28th, 2018, 5:25 pm #6

Happy days! I promise Iwon’t get too maudlin, there is a few upbeat one too, it’s not all Danny boy! Mostly, but not all!

A good thread to look forward too, to see what you were spinning in your youth! Sounds remarkably similar to mine Smiths, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Irish and Scottish folk! (And what was Morrissey talking about when he said only 3 or 4 good Beatles songs? That is a thread in itself!)

Adios for today...

February 28th, 2018, 7:26 pm #7

One of the odd old guys who buys me a drink every now and then when his blood pressure goes down is Frank McCulloch who sang with the Furey's can I join your club now?

February 28th, 2018, 7:52 pm #8

Iamborn1 wrote:One of the odd old guys who buys me a drink every now and then when his blood pressure goes down is Frank McCulloch who sang with the Furey's can I join your club now?
It’s a small world! The only thing that raises Finbars blood pressure is bath time!! He is one clarty widtink! Thread starts soon, you can add any folk tunes you want, that you remember from when you were young or just that you find haunting or memorable!
Last edited by Reggie Peppery on February 28th, 2018, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2018, 4:39 pm #9

A very apt description