Help us to Support the NCCU Marching Sound Machine Band

NCCUsmbc
Expert

November 2nd, 2012, 12:11 pm #1

Dear NCCU Alumni, Students and Friends:

Yes indeed, the NCCU Marching Sound Machine was out numbered at approximately 2.5 to 1, confident and undaunted, when it proudly performed against the approximately 375 band membership of the Bethune-Cookman University (B-CU) Marching Wildcats, on 10-27-2012.
Although B-CU has one of the very best Marching Band programs in the USA and the world, our band students proudly made the trip to support and lift the spirits of our outstanding NCCU Eagles football team, alumni, students and fans, in Daytona Beach Florida, as the musical ambassador and voice of NCCU’s “Eagle Pride Amplified”!
On Sunday (10-21-12) at the Adrian Carroll Battle of the Bands at NCCU’s O'Kelly-Riddick Stadium, NCA&T’s Blue & Gold Marching Machine displayed approximately 225 or more band members for this year, during their performance. The NCCU Marching Sound Machine also performed in the same Battle of the Bands.
NCCU is only at approximately 150 marching band members for this year, via (in my personal opinion) a very shortsighted NCCU administration, that has refused to plan effectively for the pressing resource needs and growth development of our marching band, over the last 5 years or more.
The NCCU band director works wonders and tirelessly with what he has, and often has made very positive and award winning differences in many band competitions over the last 11 years, with his very faithful and dedicated band students and faculty assistants, coupled with volunteer band staff, who works with him. However, the NCCU administration (in my personal opinion) has continued to be unresponsive towards the total needs of growing the NCCU Marching Band, into a respectable Division I membership size, comparable with its national MEAC peers and State of North Carolina Division I (FCS) rivals like NCA&T, Western Carolina and Appalachian State, to name a few.
Something has to be done to bring the NCCU Marching Sound Machine into respectable Division I standards with its MEAC peers, (FAMU, B-CU, SC State, Norfolk State and NCA&T). The top 5 Band programs in the MEAC, range from about 225 to 400+ in Band Student Memberships. NCCU is the 4th largest student population sized school in the MEAC, but nowhere close to 4th in the MEAC regarding marching band student membership. Something seems to be wrong with that picture. NCCU Can and MUST do better regarding the much needed support and funding for its Marching Band.
It has become very concerning to many of our alumni, students and friends, regarding our band program, being constantly outnumbered against the top 5 Band programs in the MEAC. During the Circle City Classic this year in Indianapolis Indiana, the Marching Sound Machine was out numbered more than 2 to 1, via the South Carolina State’s Marching “101” Band.
NCCU Can Do Much Better. No one is saying that NCCU needs a 300 memberships Marching Band at this point and time. But, there is no excuse why the NCCU Marching Sound Machine should not be funded for a minimum of 225 - 250 Band Memberships, (about the size of NCA&T and Norfolk State).
It is time that NCCU Alumni, Students and Friends start to speak out, regarding the much needed support for the Band. Our band students should never be put at any resource disadvantage, regarding NCCU's lack of appropriate Marching Band support, as they are now and have been subjected to, over the last two years or more.
Think about It Eagle Nation. You know that I am speaking the Truth!!!!
Please Help NCCU to Financially Support and Grow our Band.
If you feel the same way as I do, please let our NCCU Marching Sound Machine band students know that you are proud of them, and support them, with your advocacy on their behalf, by writing the NCCU Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, the Chancellor and the NCCU Board of Trustees and let them know how you feel about additional support for our Band.
Your financial support via the NCCU Foundation, targeted for the NCCU Marching Sound Machine, or your active membership within the Sound Machine Booster Club, would be greatly appreciated by our NCCU Marching Band students. Additional information regarding the Sound Machine Booster Club may be obtained at: http://NCCUsmbc.com.
Thank You for your support of our NCCU Marching Sound Machine band program and its student membership.
Take Care!
Dennis W. Ellis 
Last edited by NCCUsmbc on November 2nd, 2012, 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NCCU "Eagle Pride" Amplified Soars On The Wings of Eagles!
NCCU Eagles Fan Forum!
Durham Chapter - NCCU Alumni
Sound Machine Booster Club
NCCU Campus Echo

NCCUsmbc
Expert

November 4th, 2012, 9:50 am #2

Young and old march along at NCCU parade
http://www.heraldsun.net/view/full_stor ... CCU-parade?

The Herald Sun

The Herald-Sun | Christine T. Nguyen

Jakeil Rivers, 10, (center) cheers with members of the Tri County Panthers cheerleading team on Saturday, November 3, 2012 as they march down Fayetteville Street during the North Carolina Central University homecoming parade.

BY BETH VELLIQUETTE
[url=mailto:bvelliquette@heraldsun.com]bvelliquette@heraldsun.com[/url]; 919-419-6632

DURHAM – Four-year-old Dylan Poole must have been worn out after the North Carolina Central University Homecoming Parade Saturday morning.

He beat his invisible drum and marched in place next to his grandmother as the bands marched by on Fayetteville Street.

“I want to get a trumpet when I grow up,” he announced.

“Dylan wants to be in the band, and Dylan wants to be a policeman, too,” said his grandmother, Theretha Tate, who sat shivering in the shade of the big trees that lined the route.

Even after the bands, with their big bass drums, blaring horns and dancing drum majors, passed by, Dylan still heard the music in his head and still kept drumming and marching.

The early morning parade in the chill of the November air marked one of the many celebrations of the NCCU homecoming this weekend.

Queens rode in convertible cars and waved their hands just so, while others rode on floats and shouted greetings at the adults and children who lined the parade route.

Of course, the bands were the highlight of the parade with the NCCU Marching Sound Machine being the first band to make its way to campus, followed later by the Hillside and Southern Durham high school bands.

The two high school bands will be competing tonight in the 4th Annual North Carolina High Stepping Marching Band State Championship at Durham County Stadium along with other North Carolina high school bands.

The NCCU dancers who led the band appeared to have a guest dancer, when a man in flip flops, wearing a green T-shirt and green hat with ear flaps, joined in as they marched and danced their way up the street as he crowd chuckled at his antics.

Loraine Lyde and her son Ashton Allen, 12, ran after the NCCU band as they played their way up the street.

“I have a niece and nephew in the band, and I’m a Central student,” Lyde said. “I love the band. This is what we do every year.”

Ashton already plays percussion, and hopes to play in a college band one day.

His favorite part?

“When they broke it down,” he said “When they started dancing.”

Leading the NCCU band, a bunch of drum majors spun their black and silver batons and broke it down.

Some were drum majors of the past who come back to march with the band once again.

Drum majors Reginald Boney, 26, Donald Parker III, 25, and dancer Turquoise Thompson, 25, said they love coming back and marching with the band.

“It’s rewarding to be able to come back and participate in the band that I was so committed to as an undergrad,” Boney said.

“I love it,” Parker said. “I think it’s a great opportunity to once again be part of the Sound Machine. It’s like in one Saturday, you’re reliving college in one day and you definitely feel it the next day.”

It’s great seeing old friends and remembering college life, too, Thompson said.

“Seeing all the beautiful young people and being reminded you should live carefree.”
NCCU "Eagle Pride" Amplified Soars On The Wings of Eagles!
NCCU Eagles Fan Forum!
Durham Chapter - NCCU Alumni
Sound Machine Booster Club
NCCU Campus Echo