Wow hearing Sexton has Tenn Vols jacked up to 6 mil/5 yr deal for Mullen

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Wow hearing Sexton has Tenn Vols jacked up to 6 mil/5 yr deal for Mullen

Randle McMurphy
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 18:07

15 Oct 2017, 13:26 #1

Also if James Franklin heads to A&M, hearing Penn State may get in on it and raise the bar higher for the Vols to meet. Mullen about to get paid but we know Kentucky gone pop that balloon like somebody always does for ol Dan.
Reply

1 Rodimus Prime
Joined: 14 Feb 2008, 08:52

15 Oct 2017, 13:34 #2

I seriously doubt the Vols are going after Dan Mullen.
Image
Reply

TexReb1977
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 20:56

15 Oct 2017, 13:49 #3

1 Rodimus Prime wrote: I seriously doubt the Vols are going after Dan Mullen.
Dan Mullen doesn’t win big games. The team in Starkville always plays it’s out of  division and out of conference games when those teams are having down years. It’s been going on since forever. Take BYU yesterday for example. It’s how they get to bowls each year. Would love for this to be true  as would cripple their recruiting class this year. 
Image
Reply

warchief
Posts 4,732
warchief
Joined: 17 May 2008, 04:54

15 Oct 2017, 14:01 #4

Nothing Jimmy Sexton could pull off would surprise me at this point, but Mullen to Tennessee doesn't make sense for either side. TN wants to fire Butch Jones because he only wins 8-9 games a year and doesn't beat good teams. Mullen wins 6-7 games a year at MSU and doesn't beat good teams. And I don't buy for a second that he would be an awesome coach at a better program. His FB @ QB offense is going to present challenges regardless of where he is at. It works against inferior talent, but most top-half SEC defenses are going to eat that shit for lunch.

And from Mullen's perspective, he's reached God-status in Starkville for getting them to bowl games and having success against Ole miss. Why on Earth would you go to Tennessee where you are going to be expected to beat Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, or else they're ready to run you out of town?
ImageYour Signature ...
Reply

OBRebel84
Joined: 15 Oct 2013, 18:30

15 Oct 2017, 15:14 #5

warchief wrote: Nothing Jimmy Sexton could pull off would surprise me at this point, but Mullen to Tennessee doesn't make sense for either side. TN wants to fire Butch Jones because he only wins 8-9 games a year and doesn't beat good teams. Mullen wins 6-7 games a year at MSU and doesn't beat good teams. And I don't buy for a second that he would be an awesome coach at a better program. His FB @ QB offense is going to present challenges regardless of where he is at. It works against inferior talent, but most top-half SEC defenses are going to eat that shit for lunch.

And from Mullen's perspective, he's reached God-status in Starkville for getting them to bowl games and having success against Ole miss. Why on Earth would you go to Tennessee where you are going to be expected to beat Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, or else they're ready to run you out of town?
Mullen could do really well at a place that recruits itself like Notre Dame, LSU, A&M, Florida etc.  Tennessee is the worst job for him because it's a hard place to recruit to in 2017.  Tennessee needs a guy like Mike Norvell or some other young coach with a brain that can recruit. 

Also there is no way in hell James Franklin leaves Penn State for A&M. 
Reply

ltreb
Posts 3,562
ltreb
Joined: 29 Aug 2009, 17:39

15 Oct 2017, 16:33 #6

Tennessee only wins 8-9 a year because of their OOC and the easy East schedule. They have gone 0-3 in the SEC. They could win 5 of 6 and wind up with 8 wins again. He's14-21 vs SEC even with the pitiful state of the East. Even the most ignorant TN fan can see they're beating bottom dwellers and that Jones is a embarrassing, no-skills blowhard. That is why they want him gone. 

While Mullin may be a blowhard he has coaching skills. QBU!

That said I hope he stays there forever. Fuck TN.
 
Sent via secret,untraceable burner laptop


"Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious."
Reply

warchief
Posts 4,732
warchief
Joined: 17 May 2008, 04:54

15 Oct 2017, 17:38 #7

OBRebel84 wrote:
warchief wrote: Nothing Jimmy Sexton could pull off would surprise me at this point, but Mullen to Tennessee doesn't make sense for either side. TN wants to fire Butch Jones because he only wins 8-9 games a year and doesn't beat good teams. Mullen wins 6-7 games a year at MSU and doesn't beat good teams. And I don't buy for a second that he would be an awesome coach at a better program. His FB @ QB offense is going to present challenges regardless of where he is at. It works against inferior talent, but most top-half SEC defenses are going to eat that shit for lunch.

And from Mullen's perspective, he's reached God-status in Starkville for getting them to bowl games and having success against Ole miss. Why on Earth would you go to Tennessee where you are going to be expected to beat Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, or else they're ready to run you out of town?
Mullen could do really well at a place that recruits itself like Notre Dame, LSU, A&M, Florida etc.  Tennessee is the worst job for him because it's a hard place to recruit to in 2017.  Tennessee needs a guy like Mike Norvell or some other young coach with a brain that can recruit. 

Also there is no way in hell James Franklin leaves Penn State for A&M. 
I disagree there, and that's what I was getting at in my previous post. Some people act like Mullen is this great coach that is being held back by the built in disadvantages at MSU. While there's certainly something to be said for having an easier gig, I think even at a Florida, Nortre Dame, aTm, LSU, etc. he just ends up being an 8-9 win per year coach instead of a 6-7 win per year coach like he is now. His offense and lack of ability to beat evenly matched (and certainly more talented) teams will always hold him back, regardless of where he's at. I also think the increased pressure of one of those jobs would cause him to blow a gasket, like we see with Butch Jones all the time. He already loses his shit when anyone asks a question that he doesn't like. Imagine what he'd do with 90k TN fans booing him off the field because they got destroyed by Alabama.
ImageYour Signature ...
Reply

Randle McMurphy
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 18:07

15 Oct 2017, 17:50 #8

warchief wrote:
OBRebel84 wrote:
warchief wrote: Nothing Jimmy Sexton could pull off would surprise me at this point, but Mullen to Tennessee doesn't make sense for either side. TN wants to fire Butch Jones because he only wins 8-9 games a year and doesn't beat good teams. Mullen wins 6-7 games a year at MSU and doesn't beat good teams. And I don't buy for a second that he would be an awesome coach at a better program. His FB @ QB offense is going to present challenges regardless of where he is at. It works against inferior talent, but most top-half SEC defenses are going to eat that shit for lunch.

And from Mullen's perspective, he's reached God-status in Starkville for getting them to bowl games and having success against Ole miss. Why on Earth would you go to Tennessee where you are going to be expected to beat Alabama, Georgia, and Florida, or else they're ready to run you out of town?
Mullen could do really well at a place that recruits itself like Notre Dame, LSU, A&M, Florida etc.  Tennessee is the worst job for him because it's a hard place to recruit to in 2017.  Tennessee needs a guy like Mike Norvell or some other young coach with a brain that can recruit. 

Also there is no way in hell James Franklin leaves Penn State for A&M. 
I disagree there, and that's what I was getting at in my previous post. Some people act like Mullen is this great coach that is being held back by the built in disadvantages at MSU. While there's certainly something to be said for having an easier gig, I think even at a Florida, Nortre Dame, aTm, LSU, etc. he just ends up being an 8-9 win per year coach instead of a 6-7 win per year coach like he is now. His offense and lack of ability to beat evenly matched (and certainly more talented) teams will always hold him back, regardless of where he's at. I also think the increased pressure of one of those jobs would cause him to blow a gasket, like we see with Butch Jones all the time. He already loses his shit when anyone asks a question that he doesn't like. Imagine what he'd do with 90k TN fans booing him off the field because they got destroyed by Alabama.
Mullen can win at Tennessee. They have recruited big uglies well the last few years. He will mold a versatile QB and give Kirby a run for his money in the east.
Reply

Dirk Diggler
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 19:13

15 Oct 2017, 23:04 #9

Randle McMurphy wrote:
warchief wrote:
OBRebel84 wrote:
Mullen could do really well at a place that recruits itself like Notre Dame, LSU, A&M, Florida etc.  Tennessee is the worst job for him because it's a hard place to recruit to in 2017.  Tennessee needs a guy like Mike Norvell or some other young coach with a brain that can recruit. 

Also there is no way in hell James Franklin leaves Penn State for A&M. 
I disagree there, and that's what I was getting at in my previous post. Some people act like Mullen is this great coach that is being held back by the built in disadvantages at MSU. While there's certainly something to be said for having an easier gig, I think even at a Florida, Nortre Dame, aTm, LSU, etc. he just ends up being an 8-9 win per year coach instead of a 6-7 win per year coach like he is now. His offense and lack of ability to beat evenly matched (and certainly more talented) teams will always hold him back, regardless of where he's at. I also think the increased pressure of one of those jobs would cause him to blow a gasket, like we see with Butch Jones all the time. He already loses his shit when anyone asks a question that he doesn't like. Imagine what he'd do with 90k TN fans booing him off the field because they got destroyed by Alabama.
Mullen can win at Tennessee. They have recruited big uglies well the last few years. He will mold a versatile QB and give Kirby a run for his money in the east.
That is assuming, of course, that he doesn't run off all the decent coordinators and assistant coaches like he does at Starkville every year.
Reply

Msflood
Joined: 18 Jul 2017, 22:17

16 Oct 2017, 02:01 #10

Just what exactly has he done without a superstar quarterback ? You can coach a lot of things but talent is a gift...Tebo and Dak were outliers , Nick will be a NFL tightend ...if he does not leave he will be stuck until he retires or the necks run him off
Reply