what canada means to me

Post and read our members short stories, flash fiction, and prose.

what canada means to me

karinsuezen
Muse Monger Gold Medal Meddler
karinsuezen

July 3rd, 2018, 1:44 pm #1

last year in my historical society the president was asked if anyone wanted to do a story for the 150 anni of canada.....and i and someone else submitted something....he sent both in, to be fair.....mine was picked the other woman's was not...

this year he was asked again for the july issue in a local free newspaper.......called snapped....it's mostly of pictures and stuff, but there are still stuff like this

this year i was the only one that submitted something, i assume the other woman was discouraged....it was said that another woman wanted to enter last year but she was busy, as her dad had just died, and that...and this year she needs to run back and forth (well drive) to where her mother lives, which is about a 4 hour drive away from the city

so this is my article for this year...

i don't know if i'll be asked again next year, but i'm already working on something, i know, i tend to get ahead of myself...

the article for next year will kind of focus on the trip that i went on, and what i found out what they did on a very dark day here in north america

but here's this year's article...

hope you guys like it

susan 

As another year approaches to the birthday of this country we call home, whether by birth or by choice, it never ceases to amaze me when I reflect on how my own family came to Canada. From Ukraine they wandered. They wouldn't know the language, or the land. Would they survive? Yes, survive they did. They had a lot of hardships, but a lot of good times as well. Most of them went to the Prairies, and whole towns were settled. I once met a lady who I thought was born in Ukraine, as her Ukrainian-English was so heavily accented, but yet she was born in a small town in Saskatchewan. Yes, they were immigrants who retained their language, and their customs, which so many still keep.
We are a land of immigrants, as you can see – the world's most diverse, to my understanding. As a result, many languages are spoken here, in all corners.

As I write this, I am looking forward to traveling the country again. I have already been to some of the places I will be seeing, but they are worth going back. The scenery and the people are quite enjoyable. I will travel to our most eastern province, where I have never been, and learn some history and culture along the way. I will just be returning home from my trip as we will celebrate another year.

Oh, now don't get me wrong; we're not perfect, far from it; we have done wrong to so many. We have put many in camps, because we deemed them enemies, be they Ukrainians, Italians, or Japanese. (If I've left some out, please forgive me). But our biggest blunder would be to those who were already here. We are now trying to make amends, but there is still so much to do. Perhaps we will never completely right that wrong, but we are trying.

They had such a strong culture, and they taught us so much, particularly how to survive in a harsh climate. Would our Coureurs de bois have survived without their Indigenous guides? Where would we be without the knowledge of the three sisters – Squash, Corn, and Beans – a staple of the movies. They also taught us how to travel on snowshoes in the winter, and in birch-bark canoes in the summer. Our symbol, the beaver, well they gave us the fur trade. The Hudson's Bay Company still stands as a tribute to that founding industry.

We have so much to offer to those who still come to our shores, be it to the mountains of the West, or the highlands of the East, or to the country's most populated cities, some of which still operate in the founding language of French.
Take a canoe and portage up a river or two – we have so many that go on for kilometres – and travel through some of the most interesting flora and fauna that this world has to offer. Perhaps take a fishing pole and throw some bait into a lake. I believe we have the most lakes of any country in the world Or, dip your feet into the oceans, all three of them – what a treat!
I have touched on but a few things of what Canada has to offer, but it has so much more. So I invite you to take the time to explore the history and the people and the geographical landscape, but most of all get to know one another, as you'll see we have much more in common than you think. And last but not least: HAPPY CANADA DAY TO ONE AND ALL!
"Peace is always beautiful"
Walt Whitman

Shadow Angel
Platinum Medal Meddler
Shadow Angel
Platinum Medal Meddler

July 3rd, 2018, 8:07 pm #2

~   Happy Canada Day dear Susan. ..

I feel that i have now  learned a lot about your beautiful country through your words

Congratulations on being published. ...awesome stuff!

Love and light
Sash xo
[attachment=0]file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/7ff257349460dc7d0057e8807a4d471279650da.gif[/attachment]

Owner of Muse Mongers Motel

karinsuezen
karinsuezen

July 3rd, 2018, 9:28 pm #3

thank you....

i'm not sure if i'll be asked again next year, but i'm already thinking of something, what i learnt about how the people of newroundland reacted on a horrendous day in history....they acted wonderfully......is all i can say....that's the kind of people they are

so
"Peace is always beautiful"
Walt Whitman