Unreleased Monochrome Set stuff?

Leg Spinner
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper
Leg Spinner
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper

September 10th, 2006, 8:21 pm #1

Very pleased to see about the new Monochrome Set DVD.

This led me to wonder: is there any unreleased Monochrome Set stuff lying around that would make for a CD?

For example, I just bought a CD by the Delmontes, who even though they only released two 7" singles in their whole career - 25 years ago - and no radio sessions - still had enough material lying around to produce a 24 track retrospective CD.

Are there any tracks/versions that have never been released, e.g. demos, unused tracks from recording sessions for singles/albums?

el roacho
Choose your own title - contact Bid
el roacho

September 10th, 2006, 10:25 pm #2

There are some odd tracks scattered around that many M Set fans probably wouldn't have, and I'm sure they could be gathered up and put on another M Set bits 'n' bobs disk. The 'Lost Weekend' CD recently released (from a South American source) had some stuff that I believe was unreleased and some vinyl tracks not yet on CD, and I think Fiasco Bongo has yet to make it to CD. Personally, I'd rather see a CD of Scarlet's Well demos and tracks that didn't make the albums.

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

September 11th, 2006, 12:10 am #3

Leg Spinner asked
wrote:Are there any tracks/versions that have never been released...?
There are tracks/versions that were never released. El R identifies a source of a few. There are also a good number of alt "versions" that HAVE been released in odd (and not so odd) places. You can see the extent of this on Yoshiaki's "Version Difference" page which lists songs with multiple versions and where each version can be found. See http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/version_dif.htm
Open "no. of items" in a separate window for a key.

Also, if you count all the material The Monochrome Set, or individual members, or various groupings of members, have played on, the material really starts to add up. See various pages on Yoshiaki's site for info.

Dr. Sticky
Dr. Sticky

September 11th, 2006, 3:19 am #4

wrote:Are there any tracks/versions that have never been released, e.g. demos, unused tracks from recording sessions for singles/albums?

A great question (and one I'm sure Bid has been asked many times)! I think I recall reading in an interview that after all the comps there wasn't much left. Still that makes me wonder what 'much' means! :)

There once was a live MSet version of the SWell song "Miss Twinkle's Been On Holiday Again" (w/ different lyrics), but I don't think there was ever a studio version of it.

Stuff I'd like to see someday surface, besides any lost studio gems, is anything from The First Annual Love Circus. The band Bid and Orson formed before the second coming of the MSet. The world may never know! :(

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

April 22nd, 2007, 8:19 pm #5

extremely rare vinyl on ebay http://tinyurl.com/3yzqn5
features a barely released song, "Holidays," by The Monochrome Set
details: http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/jpeg/minutes04.jpg
somewhat in a "The Bridge" vein (style-wise), but with more alcohol.

failing to back up my claim of extreme rareness, I note http://tinyurl.com/2p9pon
but it is definitely not generally available, except once every year or two.

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

April 24th, 2007, 10:56 am #6

Ahoy there!

Dr. Sticky
Dr. Sticky

April 28th, 2007, 2:59 pm #7

Strangely, I had a dream last night that my entire cd collection fell victim to theft! I went to the local used cd store and told George to be on the look out for anyone who brings in a large number of Monochrome Set or Robyn Hitchcock cds. Just after I told him I noticed a stack of books on top of one of his cd racks. They were about eye level and many of them said The Monochrome Set on the sideways spines. George explained that these books were rare promo, lyric and art books from the early MSet days. Being a collector, I was very excited when he said I could have them for $12 each (I think there were 6 different books). I remember flipping through them seeing all sorts of strange black and white photos many of them Tony Potts inspired and artistic. Nothing normal. Stuff that reminded me of the official MSet website. And many interesting poems, unused lyrics and untold stories. Stumbling across these books must have completely shadowed my stolen cds because I remember pinching myself to make sure it wasn't a dream. Shortly after I awoke! :angry:

I'm guessing this dream came about due to a recent discussion on the fegmaniax mailing list about top concerts- someone mentioned seeing a mind blowing Buzzcock/Monochrome Set show in NYC, 1979.

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

June 30th, 2009, 12:52 am #8

Yoshiaki's site updated for the first time in several years
http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/monochrome.htm

In addition to the new "The Lost Weekend" cd, it says the Version Difference page is updated. Not sure what the update is. Will have to study. http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/version_dif.htm

as mentioned in an earlier post in this topic, to use the Version Difference page, open "no. of items" in a second window http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/no_of_items.htm
That provides a key to the table on the Version Difference page. Of course, my opinion is that nearly every one of the 43+ items on the "no. of items" page is essential.

To find the relatively few items that don't have at least one unique track, go the the Version Difference page and use your browser's find feature. You probably have #s 1 through 13 (and probably 14 through 17). So, just search "18," "19," "20," and so on, through 43.

For example, if you search "21," you'll see that London Pavillion Pt. 2 is the only place version 2 of "Whoops! What A Palaver!" is found (at least among these 43 items). Searching "20" and "22" reveals that Pt. 1 and Pt. 3 do not have anything that isn't available elsewhere (not that they aren't good v/a cds).

On the Version Difference page, there are approximately 89 songs. Notice that there are approximately 164 versions of those songs! Lots to listen to. Songs missing include "Holidays" and "Cilla Black." Those are on the also missing "The Lost Weekend" (La Paz Records edition) and v/a LP "Minutes" (which is on his v/a page http://my.so-net.net.tw/jetset/va.htm ). Several of the (pre-TMS) songs on B & W Minstrels are also not there, nor is info from the Independent Singles Collection.

Very essential comps include "Amen," "Fab Gear," and "Abracadabra." I claim "Instrumentally Yours" is a must have as well, but that's only because I have some condition having to do with the cd version of "Yo Ho Ho" with a clean intro. These come up on ebay for relative bargain prices.

Apologies if this doesn't exactly fit the topic. But, while these alt versions are "released," they are obscurely or somewhat obscurely released, and I didn't feel like putting up a confusingly-titled topic like that.

Dr. Sticky
Dr. Sticky

July 1st, 2009, 12:49 pm #9

Thanks for the update, Hogsy. I haven't been to his site in ages. It's good to know YM is still kicking it and updating his MSet/SWell information worthy website.

Who is this "Todd" character he keeps thanking?

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

July 1st, 2009, 1:23 pm #10

There is a poster on there of Lester outside what looks like Tixall Gatehouse, near where I live.

Here is the folly near Stafford: