C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

April 29th, 2009, 8:41 am #21

Hi Shandy,

Sympathise with you about being self-employed. I am not specifically linked to any industry sector, but work has been significantly down over the past two years and I find myself accepting all sorts of jobs I wouldn't normally care to do, just because that is what is available. You couldn't use some of your unemployment buffer fund on a trip to Paris - the one we self-employed folk have to keep - or is that an irresponible question?!

Re a gig local to you, have seen pics of the Brewery Arts Centre and it looks very craggy and nice. I am very partial to the Lake District, being half way "oop North" already, and apart from the nice scenery, would commend its gingerbread, pencil museum and fine selection of wool shops.

Jez
Jez

April 30th, 2009, 9:41 am #22

Hi to all,

As a huge MS and more recently SW fan (thoroughly enjoyed Kentish Town & Notting Hill) I thought I'd let you know how I seem to have now brainwashed my kids.

Came home last week to find my 5 yr old daughter on youtube watching Jacobs Ladder (no joke) and my 10 yr old son is trapped in the car with me on school runs but seems to be now word perfect on most tracks from Gatekeeper.

So 1 more vote for a kid friendly show.lol

Kendal, hmmm 256 miles from Barnet, North London, but sure our loyal band of followers would make the trip (not midweek pls).

About 8 of us were regular attendees at MS gig's all over the country in the 80's and after about 15 years of no contact we all met up for the Notting Hill gig and plan to do the same, next time round. So the Captain's music has been a bit like friends re-united or rather Bid-re-united

Looking forward to the next London show !!

Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette
Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette

April 30th, 2009, 9:51 pm #23

Hi C's M.

Afraid the "buffer" has already had a bit of a battering... Self-employment is OK - until it turns to self-unemployment. Hmm.
I know that this slump in the building trade will pick up - I've just got to make sure I'm there when it does. God, I hate being a responsible adult...

Jez, I'm pleased to see that the lobby for a kid-friendly gig is growing. I wish I could've done the MS gigs in the eighties... Still, no good wishing.

Cheers
Shandy

bid
Choose your own title - contact Bid
bid

May 16th, 2009, 1:30 pm #24

Hmm, a couple of weeks before these gigs and virtually no promo. Le Baron still only listing gigs up to March (and there's no info on the bands anyway), and L'International listing us as folk rock, with no photo.

A couple of listings on sites, but no mention of MSet- so the few thousand fans we have in Paris won't know about it.

This free entry business has led to serious complacency.

I am still looking forward to it, but, well...

Dr. Sticky
Dr. Sticky

May 16th, 2009, 2:14 pm #25

How about posting a bulletin on The Monochrome Set myspace page? I know there are quite a few french 'friends' there.

I'm sure the fans would appreciate the heads up! There is nothing worse than reading about a rare concert opportunity after the fact. (I got several emails *after* the Columbus Unreal gig due to poor promotion).

It's a shame the club isn't taking a more active role. :(

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

May 17th, 2009, 12:33 am #26

There's a poster for the gig in the comments section of the TMS page on MySpace (6.4.09), though it has been bumped out of immediate view by subsequent comments.

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

May 20th, 2009, 11:45 am #27

Reviews of Le Baron:

"This small but supremely exclusive hangout for the international jet set used to be an upmarket brothel, and has the decor to prove it. It only holds 150, most of whom are regulars you'll need to befriend in order to get past the door. But if you manage to get in, you'll be rubbing shoulders with celebrities and super-glossy people."

"Dress up and be prepared for the tough door selection."

"There is a fierce door policy with a glitz-glam dress code."

"It's so exclusive that sometimes invited guests are given a secret password to enter the doors of this 1920’s inspired dance club."

Love Zombie, how are you fixed for a tux and "des pistons"?! And does The Captain know the secret password?

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

May 20th, 2009, 11:47 am #28

The blurb on the website of L'International says that some of SW's songs "make your blood run cold". I am confident that in French this must be considered a good thing, the equivalent of our "goosebumps".

THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker
THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker

May 21st, 2009, 11:42 pm #29

C's M wrote:
"Dress up and be prepared for the tough door selection." "There is a fierce door policy with a glitz-glam dress code."
Dear C's M,
Where there's a will, there's a way! And besides, even Pascal understands ''Do you know who I am?''....
Yours truly,
TLZ
crittershvilleb.jpg

SeaUrchin
SeaUrchin

June 4th, 2009, 9:34 am #30

Wakey! Wakey! How was the gig?